• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why is the Aquatics Industry so small? (UK)

Emyr said:
A shop with all the gear there is to choose from, at a reasonable price. Knowledgable staff who have as good an understanding of the industry etc as people on here and many display tanks all over for inspiration. A cafe would finish it off nicely.

Yep, that would be perfect for sure.

- Good kit, and cheap.
- No BS about ferts, EI, or trying to flog powerful lights
- Be a sponsor of UKAPS, or at least an active member
- Good plants, and an understanding of what a non aquatic plant is
- A couple of benches with aquascaping books to read

There is already a shop like this, TGM, pitty that it is in the "sticks" (i.e. far from London) :)

I'd love to know how profitable TGM actually is. Always hard to find reliable figures for ltd companies as they rarely show the true market value of a business due to salary allocation & dividend taking. I wonder which non chain store is the most profitable in the UK.

shaunb84 said:
I'd love to know how profitable TGM actually is. Always hard to find reliable figures for ltd companies as they rarely show the true market value of a business due to salary allocation & dividend taking. I wonder which non chain store is the most profitable in the UK.

I do think that TGM is profitable, both times I went to the shop they were not pushy with the sales at all, very relaxed, and outstanding service. A shop that is struggling for sure push sales. Also, the simple fact that I travelled from London, 4 hours on the train each way, just to buy some rocks, is testament of the pull the shop has. I am sure that people from nearby are going there often.

I am sure that if other shops took their service attitude, displayed some good tanks, and had staff that understood our needs they would also be successful.

If I ever open a shop will model it on TGM. :)

open one George, go on... The UKAPS STORE! a meeting place and shop.... brilliant!

George Farmer said:
I have the idea for the perfect shop but I'm not going to share it! :lol:

Cards and chest good colleagues I see! :silent:

Having worked in a number of different industries it strikes me that some very keen aquarists run shops and some very keen businessmen run shops. When the twain meet surely sparks and water will fly! ;)

somethingfishy said:
awtong said:
OMG I better not tell the wife she has wanted a new one since we lost ours a while back. My wallet may creek under the strain :rolleyes: :lol:

know what you mean about the plecos they have two nice tiger plecs in amwells at the mo ... but 50 notes each

Already have 5 of these tiger/leopard frog's so I could just about manage to walk by them :lol:

awtong said:
somethingfishy said:
awtong said:
OMG I better not tell the wife she has wanted a new one since we lost ours a while back. My wallet may creek under the strain :rolleyes: :lol:

know what you mean about the plecos they have two nice tiger plecs in amwells at the mo ... but 50 notes each

Already have 5 of these tiger/leopard frog's so I could just about manage to walk by them :lol:

would love to see some pics of those :D plus do you think they are worth the notes cause they look cracking .. or is that a stupid question considering you have five :D

I will try and get some pics soon. I am trying to set up a breeding colony but haven't got a mature male yet.

The ones at Amwell are cheaper than both local MA's who have them at £75 each. Prices have spiked due to import restrictions.

I actually had 3 and then got 2 mature females for £60 an absolute bargain. I love them they are such interesting fish. I also have a Blue Phantom (pic in the fish section) and a chocolate Zebra as well!

Andy

awtong said:
I will try and get some pics soon. I am trying to set up a breeding colony but haven't got a mature male yet.

The ones at Amwell are cheaper than both local MA's who have them at £75 each. Prices have spiked due to import restrictions.

I actually had 3 and then got 2 mature females for £60 an absolute bargain. I love them they are such interesting fish. I also have a Blue Phantom (pic in the fish section) and a chocolate Zebra as well!

Andy

so in fact i could tell my wife they are a bargain :D
time to do some research and see if i can provide them a good home

George Farmer said:
I have the idea for the perfect shop but I'm not going to share it! :lol:

If you need a manager, consider me first in line. Hehehe :lol:

somethingfishy said:
awtong said:

Andy

so in fact i could tell my wife they are a bargain :D
time to do some research and see if i can provide them a good home

Do you have a nutritious substrate that is capped in your tank? One thing that isn't mentioned in the info on L134 plec's is that they like to dig. Mine dig under my wood hardscape and make caves to sit in using their tail and fins. It isn't an issue for me as I have plain old sand but if you have a capped substrate they could upset it and cause ammonia spikes. Or I suppose you could try putting in some kind of slate cave although they might not like it and I have never tried this. If you have gravel they wouldn't be able to dig and may not settle very well. They also flick sand using their tail at other fish if they get too close to their cave. Very funny to watch :lol:

Andy

sadly i have 3-5mm gravel in my tank .. and its a lot of pounds to end up with an unhappy fish, luckily as im finding the urge to rescape is near constant :lol: so i dont think it will be too long until i have a tank they would be happy in. Or better still maybe i could get a second tank :clap:

Back