• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will this overflow work?

Danny

Rather than having tanks drilled would this work the same as a standard overflow in a drilled tank?

overflow.png

If you have room behind the tank then I find the best overflow system is a cut out in the back glass.
You can of course buy commercial overflow boxes that dont require any drilling drilling.
A lot depends on tank size flow rate & how you plan the whole system, planted tanks operating with a sump need careful design if you dont want to waist huge amounts of C02.

scifficus said:
In that form will not work once the siphon break.

Do more search on google.

I have searched google, the plan is for it not to work once the siphon breaks and only work while the pump is on like any other overflow.

foxfish said:
If you have room behind the tank then I find the best overflow system is a cut out in the back glass.
You can of course buy commercial overflow boxes that dont require any drilling drilling.
A lot depends on tank size flow rate & how you plan the whole system, planted tanks operating with a sump need careful design if you dont want to waist huge amounts of C02.

Will be for shrimp tanks so no worry about co2, wondering if this would work instead of drilling ADA tanks :thumbup:

I would need to know what you want to achieve, why do you want a sump for a shrimp tank? how big is the tank, how big is the sump etc
I can tell you though that overflows are a magnet for shrimps, they seem obsessed with finding a way down to the sump & ultimately the sump pump! you will know when this happens when you see a pink mist appear in the tank!!
The problem is if you use a fine filter on the overflow it will do several things - one it will trap food, clog up & overflow the main tank, it will attract every shrimp to the overflow to eat the trapped food etc..
There are always around problems but I cant help without more basic info on you proposed set up?

This is the planned system, just need to decide on how to overflow will be done, as I said do not really fancy having ADA tanks drilled but will do if need be.

Will be 30x30 cubes so thinking 1" pipe work will be enough on a 1000lh pump ( 4 tanks per system )

4ft sump split in two, 86L each with each tank being 27L

system.png

why use expensive ada tanks? get some custom made ones from posidons and be done with it 1/4 of the price

hinch said:
why use expensive ada tanks? get some custom made ones from posidons and be done with it 1/4 of the price

Just want it to look as nice as it can so when I look at it I am not thinking it could of been better. Planning on having the tanks sitting on toughened glass floating shelves 2 per shelf above my desk with the sump under my desk and the pipe work set in the wall with just the taps and drains coming out in each place.

They will be on an outside wall so will drill through it and use steel rods for strength if needed to support the shelves, will look super sexy but with the look comes the price :thumbup:

Will not happen over night, will take a couple of months to design everything and get the finds in place but a project that will pay off in the end for both looks and satisfaction :thumbup:

Tank tart lol

OK well I was not expecting that type of design!
The issues with using syphon design overflows is that they are pretty thicke & you will have lots of them to keep checking & maintaining.
I guess this is some type of display system if you want to use such high quality tanks & on that basis everything should look neat & tidy.
Independently drilled 25mm overflows like the systems used in aquatic shops are tried & tested but you do have an awkward pipe in each corner & potential for overflowing the tank.
You could however use one big tank with dividers & then you would just need one overflow & one sump.

It will be a shrimp breeding system but a good looking one,sort of 7 star accommodation lol some people have a 60" tv I want a tarty tank system lol

One system soft and the other hard water, each tank on a tap so can be cut off from the system if need be and run individually for what ever reason, 4 tanks per system.

Would like to use individual cubes for a nicer more symmetrical look, I was thinking about drilling the top back corner with the overflow and all other pipework set in the wall and the tanks just butt up to it that way the only pipework visible will be each tap feeding the tanks.

Expected cost from start to being ready for livestock is in the area of £1300-£1500 which to most sounds a lot but for what will be created it is worth it to me, plus I know where I can offload the shrimp once breeding and the initial cost will be recouped in under 18 months.

you know the only difference between an optiwhite cube made by ada and an optiwhite cube made by PP is the ada sticker which adds at least £200 to the price?

hinch said:
you know the only difference between an optiwhite cube made by ada and an optiwhite cube made by PP is the ada sticker which adds at least £200 to the price?

Funny you should say that as that would of been my next question lol ADA vs any other Optiwhite :thumbup:

Using their tank builder they actually come in £1 more on a 30x30x30 optiwhite and that is not inc delivery which the ADA from TGM does at £111........ will drop them an email and see what they can do on the price for x8 of them drilled.

Danny said:
hinch said:

Funny you should say that as that would of been my next question lol ADA vs any other Optiwhite :thumbup:

False, higher glass clarity with the ADA.
My 'Optiwhite' is nowhere near the ADA Glass.

Whitey89 said:
Danny said:
hinch said:

False, higher glass clarity with the ADA.
My 'Optiwhite' is nowhere near the ADA Glass.

I'm sure you just want me to spend more money :lol: TBH I am 99% decided on the cube garden 30-c now. I have seen so many set ups made with ADA tanks and the silicone work and clarity never fails to impress :thumbup:

Stitch said:
I'm waiting to subscribe to the Journal! :)

As it stands it will be 3-4 months before the whole system is complete, first stage will be getting the sump and pipework in place which should be done this month :thumbup:

If you have a look on youtube there is a video somewhere, something like 'diy overflow pipe'

Back