• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will this work?

Should work as long as it's organic. It will also soften your water and make sure you cap it properly otherwise you get dirt settling on plants which is just a pain.
Good luck!

See not entirely sure, but it is use in ponds etc and so should be fish friendly at least, ive the capping and gravel bit sorted was just checking for opinions, anyone else used or know of its success? thanks again callum

Well the "Walstad Method" (by Diana Walstad) is using any sort of organic soil as a base layer and i use this myself in my 20gallon tank and it works pretty well - it would work better for me if i had better flow and CO2 injection but it works better than normal gravel. www.youtube.com/dustinsfishtanks this guy has like 6 tanks all set up with organic soil and he has amazing results. Have a look at his tutorial videos and it'll give you a pretty good idea of what sort of "dirt" you need etc... but his other videos show how well his plants grow even without using CO2 or ferts! Hope this helps

Thanks for the link, I have seen his tanks, they are very nice. Hoping to do something similar myself Diana method but a little more aesthetically pleasing, she uses john innes and I will likely try it too, safe bet

Back