• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worm Eggs?!

ZeeDeveel

Gonna go looking for some driftwood tomorrow.

I tore down my last tank because it got infested with worms. It was a Walstad tank and I expect the soil was the problem. I HATE worms, I can't put up with them.

If I boil the hell out of driftwood will that kill any eggs?

I think it was nematodes from the soil last time.

This time round I want to make sure I do everything possible to prevent any source of worms. Don't mind other invaders, just nothing long and wiggly!

Hi all,
Is using bleach a bad idea?
It is.
This time round I want to make sure I do everything possible to prevent any source of worms. Don't mind other invaders, just nothing long and wiggly!
They are most likely to be <"Detritus worms" (Naididae)">. Most tanks have them, and they aren't an issue, although I understand that a lot of people don't like them.
It was a Walstad tank and I expect the soil was the problem
I think you are probably right. If you go for another type of substrate it is likely to reduce their number. Personally I look on them as a useful <"tank janitor / food source">.

cheers Darrel

I have a snake phobia so anything of that ilk is quite repulsive to me. To be fair it was a shrimp tank. I imagine fish would have eaten most of them?

I bought some Mopani wood from Maidenhead Aquatics, should I still boil it or is it pretreated?

Going for aquasoil with a sand cap.

Can anyone confirm if I need to sterilize this Mopani wood I've bought from Maidenhead Aquatics?

Back