• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Worthwhile upgrade - t8 to t5?

andyniceday

Hi,

Im currently running 3 x 40w t8 over my 240l tank, im seeing really nice health, colour and pearling on plants that are up near the water surface. But from about the middle down to substrate level most of the leaves are either picking up a bit of algae or dying off completely.

Would an upgrade to 4 x 54w t5 be a worthwhile upgrade, or is what i've got sufficient? (meaning i need to focus on c02/flow) Bearing in mind the tank is 20" deep...

thanks

Very few folk get away with using 4 x full length T5s without very high levels of C02 & ferts & even then it will be a very high maintenance tank.
I used to use 4 x T8s with great susses in fact there were some benefits over the now standard 2 x T5 set that is generally recommended now, 4 T8s can offer some nice colour combinations & set set sun rise effects.
However T8s have a sort life span, I used to change my tubes every 6 months where as, T5 tubes are not only cheap to buy but, last a long time too.
If you want to upgrade then either add one more T8 - or two replacement T5s

foxfish I'm running a test to see how long T8 lasts, after a year of use with an electronic ballast they are still in good shape and plants are growing as usual.

Anyway I do prefer T8 over T5 they are more forgetful when you don't dose nutrients often, never experienced dying leaves using less light and I don't really think that shading is responsible for this, could be water circulation issues at the bottom of the tank or not enough nutrients added.

I'm running a 45w t8 setup over a 60l tank without CO2 and without issues so far, in fact when I don't forget to dose the plants are growing like there's no tomorrow :lol:

Cheers,
Mike

Back