• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ZM-1 in a canister filter

After reading how good this stuff is, even in an ordinary canister filter I thought I’d try it some time ago.

It’s been in a couple of my filters now and it seems to work ok, I’ve certainly not had any livestock or plant issues over the past year or so that I’ve been using it. The only downside for me is that this stuff floats and it’s a bit of a pain when it comes to filter cleaning time. It seems to get everywhere. As a result I’m slowly replacing it with Siporax which I was using before. I got a bag of Siporax sintered glass media with one of my filters and it seems to work well enough.
I think perhaps the larger plastic media by Ziss and others may be a bit more user friendly in canisters. As an alternative you could put the small stuff in a bag but I was concerned about a reduction of flow doing this so I generally avoid bags if I can.
Just a heads up for anyone thinking of trying it. 😉

Hi all,
The only downside for me is that this stuff floats and it’s a bit of a pain when it comes to filter cleaning time. It seems to get everywhere.
I just tip the <"media into a big colander">. I've got a stainless steel one at the moment, but a plastic £5 effort would work just as well. It then give it a rinse under the tap, still in the colander. After that a quick toss from side to side (just like pasta, but minus the black pepper, olive oil etc) back into the filter.
As a result I’m slowly replacing it with Siporax which I was using before. I got a bag of Siporax sintered glass media with one of my filters and it seems to work well enough.
I think all these <"media are fine">. I've replaced some of my older floating cell media with <"Eheim Substrat Pro">, that isn't because I think "Substrat Pro" <"offers any real advantage">, but because the plastic media is beginning to disintegrate - <"Is expensive bio media worth it?">. Looking back I see that I've had some the floating cell media for over 15 years, so it doesn't owe me anything.

If I had to buy some new filter media, it would be something cheap like <"generic floating cell media">, <"horticultural pumice">, <"hydroleca"> or <"alfagrog"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I got some Eheim Substrat Pro with one of my filters and it seemed to work ok but it’s not as open as the Siporax so it got clogged a bit more.
I’m loath to get rid of stuff but I’ve got several bags of those awful ceramic hoops. Any ideas of what to do with them? 😂

Hi all,
I’m loath to get rid of stuff but I’ve got several bags of those awful ceramic hoops. Any ideas of what to do with them?
Carry on using them? They make very good hides for shrimps or small Corydoras fry <"C. hastatus permanent breeding set up">.
I got some Eheim Substrat Pro with one of my filters and it seemed to work ok but it’s not as open as the Siporax so it got clogged a bit more.
I have a really <"big pre-filter sponge"> to stop an debris makings its way into the filter and I think this really helps with clogging.

I'm like @_Maq_ , for me nitrification is all about dissolved oxygen (DO) and I just want to ensure that the filter media is never short of DO. Personally I'm much less bothered about the nature of the actual filter media.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I wonder why no-one suggested using plastic mesh bags like Oase Briomaster is using? I just kept my media in those and it's so easy to clean. Still believe it's moving inside those bags as there is plenty of room.

71GBTREKKsL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

When I’ve had those mesh bags I’ve used them. Some Siporax came in a bag like that. The Ziss ZM-1 though is pretty small, not sure it wouldn’t go through the mesh. I like the idea but I’ve not seen that type of bag for sale.

Edit: I forgot to mention but I made this mesh container for my Classic 250.

IMG_8117.jpeg

Last edited:
When I’ve had those mesh bags I’ve used them. Some Siporax came in a bag like that. The Ziss ZM-1 though is pretty small, not sure it wouldn’t go through the mesh. I like the idea but I’ve not seen that type of bag for sale.
I've used these kind of things for years.

Attachments

• germany-munich-march-16-fresh-garlic-heads-in-plastic-net-2G5EERA.jpg
    germany-munich-march-16-fresh-garlic-heads-in-plastic-net-2G5EERA.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 62
As a result I’m slowly replacing it with Siporax
I think that one important thing is completely overlooked here: While ceramic, sintered and other porous media are made for hosting heterotrophic, often anaerobic bacteria, "plastic toys" media are designed for nitrification, preferably separated from decomposition as an independent stage.
It is striking (though not surprising to me) that most people are oblivious of this difference and find both equally satisfactory. If you think about it, maybe you'll arrive at the conclusion that an empty canister would be just as satisfactory...

An empty canister may well indeed work from a biological aspect but judging by the amount of detritus my two collect it wouldn’t do much for water *clarity. The Siporax has worked well enough in the past so I’m sure it will be fine.
* In addition, since I’ve been using Purigen both tanks have never looked so good.

I’ve got several bags of those awful ceramic hoops. Any ideas of what to do with them? 😂
Personally I like the ceramic hoops. I stack them in the media trays so that the holes align, reducing the restriction to flow through the media keeping the DO up. They don't really trap much sediment that way so cleaning them is simple too. It sounds like a lot of effort but I find it quite relaxing, like doing a really easy jigsaw where you can't really go wrong.

I did try that with the Siporax once but I quickly got bored! Good on you though, wish I had the patience.

Last edited:
Back