• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60l "Not so nano"

Deer

No name for this tank yet, hopefully one will come to me as this little tank evolves over time!
After a fairly successful run with a dennerle nano I've decided to take the plunge and get a somewhat decent sized tank to play with. I've not decided on everything as I'm planning to go with a dry start to get the plants a little head start, and the TMC led tile I was hoping to get isn't available yet... But so far I have -

Cabinet: TMC
Tank: TMC Signature 45x45x45cm
Substrate: ADA amazonia
Hardscape: Seiryu stone
Plants: Glosso, staurogyne repens, utricularia graminifolia (if I can keep it alive), alternanthera reineckii ''Mini', and eleocharis acicularis
Fauna: Thinking possibly a nice big shoal of chili rasbora and sakura shrimp at the moment

Been fiddling around with the hardscape and have finally ended with this (excuse the light reflections but I have no curtains right now!).
Hopefully you delightful lot can give me a few pointers on how to improve the positioning?

2015-06-18%2020.53.05_zpsw2lg2kgv.jpg

Managed to get some slightly better pics once the sky darkened down a bit outside!
2015-06-18%2023.01.46_zpsw54ndrwg.jpg
2015-06-18%2023.01.58_zpsw7om9ag0.jpg
2015-06-18%2023.02.05_zpsp38gnjqq.jpg

159 views and no comments? I will take that either as it's so spot on perfect no comments are needed, or its so terrible you cannot bear to look at it!
I'm going to barrel on with the planting tomorrow as they arrived in their little pots a few days ago and I feel a bit bad leaving them to languish in the cardboard box... Plus I'm a little bit loath to move the rocks around now even to try different scapes!

It's perhaps a bit too symmetrical?

I'd like to see more of the tank and cabinet though. I think I will switch to a tmc 450 too soon.

Planted up now! Unfortunately also very misted up so the pics aren't that great.
I did try moving the rocks around a bit but each layout seemed just too off balance without the large rock somewhat in the middle. Hopefully as the plants grow it will balance out. I unconvinced that I'll manage to keep the UG alive as it seems such a delicate plant! It almost seemed... "smushy" when I was trying to plant it, although it was in the sugary jelly from in vitro. I've plopped some in my terrarium as well so hopefully it'll take off there even if it dies in this tank, plants seem to love growing in the ABG soil and "natural" fertiliser from my lizards!
In the meantime, has anyone had any experience growing it on rock? Is this possible?

5678 I will try my best to get a couple of tank and cabinet pics later on but there's only so much I can do with this iphone camera! Its never keen on taking nicely lit pics of the whole setup.

2015-06-21%2019.33.34_zpsi8frkgu0.jpg
7b3e2fc4-8fe9-4462-bd48-3c7cc4c49f53_zpsskmba7w1.jpg
2015-06-21%2020.47.19_zpsnexxhru7.jpg

One week on, not much has changed. UG still alive though!
Still no sign of the TMC freshwater led tile that I'm waiting on lighting wise. Beginning to wonder whether they will release a freshwater version or not, and after taking a look at the design again I'm not sure whether it will be built to accommodate lily pipes/filter pipes etc. Which is a shame as it was the one light I had managed to convince the other half to let me get!
2015-06-28%2021.54.03_zpsyxtzfau0.jpg

2015-06-28%2021.54.20_zpszyimp2ol.jpg
2015-06-28%2021.55.16_zpsowdbs6yo.jpg
2015-06-28%2021.55.29_zpsdtbtdqgy.jpg
2015-06-28%2021.56.24_zpsouzmi6w6.jpg

2015-06-28%2021.57.43_zpsywlpwf21.jpg

Terrific! You certainly had nice plants to work with

Yes the plants that arrived were super! I'm glad I only got 1 pot of each, apart from the glosso, as any more and I'd be struggling to find a home for it! And the UG was like a little ping pong ball of green, so much came in the pot!

How do you find the 30cm tall tank? I looked at one in a shop yesterday and wasn't sure.

It's what I'm used to working so for me I find the height just perfect!
I think anything taller in a 45x45 would be a fiddle to scape if you are on the shorter side (like me) unless you had a step... And it should allow me to prune the plants quite closely to achieve a bushier effect without leaving a great mass of open space. While white space can be lovely but I'm afraid too much might cause my microrasboras to become flighty!

It's what I'm used to working so for me I find the height just perfect!
I think anything taller in a 45x45 would be a fiddle to scape if you are on the shorter side (like me) unless you had a step... And it should allow me to prune the plants quite closely to achieve a bushier effect without leaving a great mass of open space. While white space can be lovely but I'm afraid too much might cause my microrasboras to become flighty!

Thanks, what I find annoying is that the TMC 45x45x45 only comes with black sealant! If I go ADA then its another 60% more £

Thanks, what I find annoying is that the TMC 45x45x45 only comes with black sealant! If I go ADA then its another 60% more £

I was initially frustrated that the taller TMC's only came in black silicone, but I ordered the 60x45x45 and have to say I am really pleased with it. The silicone is really good quality, very cleanly done.

I was initially frustrated that the taller TMC's only came in black silicone, but I ordered the 60x45x45 and have to say I am really pleased with it. The silicone is really good quality, very cleanly done.

I'd love to see a few pictures of it lit and planted!

Hi,
how's your plants doing? Is UG still alive and healthy? Maybe some photos please? :)
Thanks

Hello, hello!
I haven't forgotten about this thread, I just didn't think there was a massive change since the last lot of pictures! Having a look over there's definitely been a lot of growth, but it's still dry! The UG has melted away in most places but one clump is still getting along - maybe still struggling a bit though.

Here are some pictures from 29th July, you can see clearly where the UG has melted in comparison to the last lot of pictures. I wonder whether it was due to drier conditions over that period as I was away from home and couldn't spray as often.
Ci3K14.jpg

uyE9Ca.jpg

And a huge photo dump from today, apologies!
The remaining surviving/struggling UG. You can see the end of the melt/algae on the rocks.
RnBAdx.jpg

67tN2V.jpg

And about 100 pics of the tank and plants.
UXp11G.jpg

HXdVaJ.jpg

uV1bVi.jpg

uXyBQr.jpg

adfDBd.jpg

My other half is getting impatient about filling this up with water, but honestly I love it dry right now! I haven't checked on the lighting situation recently but it's been doing so well with it's current tiny light plus natural daylight I'm almost loath to alter the conditions... Plus it's so low maintenance! I think I'm just being lazy!

Last edited:
Flooded finally!
I'm kicking myself for allowing some of the glosso at the front to dry and turn brown during the dry start. I think it will only set me back a few weeks with the carpet but I'll maybe grab another pot and replant the sparse patches anyway. At least the surviving plants have good strong roots in the substrate. I want create a gradual slope of foliage up to just below the surface at the back but the urge to trim and replant the staurogyne is so strong!
Should be getting some shrimp for algae maintenance tomorrow and starting to have a think about what to stock it with, I might get some inspiration in my lfs!
23546784032_284e2d31a4_z.jpg
23546821962_4ec0bc83fe_k.jpg
23572991531_c219bcfff7_z.jpg
23028287613_34e4a98138_z.jpg
23359721760_724dda86e7_z.jpg

Disaster this morning! Received a phone call from the other half to say he knocked the light into the tank while reaching for the switch!
I haven't been home to assess the damage yet, but I think I know what I'll be asking for my Christmas this year...

Part of the problem is the steel bracket that came with the light is too long and we don't have the tools to cut it in our flat - does anyone have any idea of how to cut or safely mount the light? Annoying that they don't come in the standard tank sizes that TMC sell.

Back