• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Can't wait to see what this looks like when it's all filled in. You and BigTom have this natural tank business down to a 'T' :)

Were the Katapa leaves from Amy Lim, by any chance?

Thanks henry. Im a total low techy convert now I don't think id ever go back to a co2 set up again.
Its grown in even more this past week especially with the warmer weather. Ill leave it another week and update with some shots.
If you get the balance right regarding water changes plant mass and fish they really do look after themselves.
Ive tried to plan this around the fish, to create a natural equilibrium that looks nice but suits the specific water parameters of where the fish come from.

Seems to be working well.

Yeah agreed I think me and tom are like two low tech gurus. Ive only done 2 so far but although tom has got the one journal his tanks gone through a fair few changes all of which are inspirational.
Plus low tech makes it much easier for tanks on a larger scale too I think. Less water to change etc. Im hooked anyway and am looking forward to my bigger project soon.

Nice work Al !!!
I love the dimension of you tank !
The carpet is almost done :thumbup: !

cheers

Cheers mate. I wish id took sanjs advice and gone bigger originally but im exceptionally happy with how this is growing in and looking. Fish seem to be showing breeding behaviour again and lots if shrimp are buried.
People spend most of their time stood in my dining room looking at the tank if they visit.

Oh and the carpet id say is about 90% covered already from the unusual tennelus. . Phenomenal growth

Alastair,..what's the purpose of using the indian almond bark & Katapa leaves? And I am sorry to bug you like this but any idea about the substrate level PAR in this tank please?

Alastair,..what's the purpose of using the indian almond bark & Katapa leaves? And I am sorry to bug you like this but any idea about the substrate level PAR in this tank please?

I believe he uses them for his Chocolate Gouramis and Liquorice Gouramis, they're very sensitive fish and require more of a soft and acidic condition compared to other fish, the bark and leaves should help in providing this plus anti bacteria properties. His shrimps could also graze on the leaves aswell.

Sorry for hogging this journal with doubts & questions but Al could you sum up the factors (in your opinion) that lead to the success of this non co2 tank?

Man I would love to see a carpet like that in my tank some day.:hungry:

Its definitely an echonodorus as one of the plants is sending up a flower stem which ia odd as I only thought it was the big species that did this

9175266650_74f708dd89_b.jpg
Untitled by Mr-T-, on Flickr

And just a quick full tank snap

9169385466_a27d1f2a7d_b.jpg
Untitled by Mr-T-, on Flickr

Wow...haven't checked in a while, it's all looking great. The teleportation device above the tank is genius...you can teleport the aquarium anywhere in the house and even take it on holiday with you and the fish will be none the wiser. It's definitely the future...

I believe he uses them for his Chocolate Gouramis and Liquorice Gouramis, they're very sensitive fish and require more of a soft and acidic condition compared to other fish, the bark and leaves should help in providing this plus anti bacteria properties. His shrimps could also graze on the leaves aswell.

Hiya Faizal sorry for the late reply mate ive been a bit busy this week. Michael is right thats what i mainly use them, to benefit the fish and also the crs and cbs love grazing on the leaves as do the ottos. not only that i think they give a very natural look to the tank. i prefer the look of oak leaves but dont have any left. i also use alder cones too which act faster and again look natural littered amongst the substrate. Par readings i havent got yet as im waiting for a par metere from a friend who has a really top notch one so i can give you some readings once ive done that if you like mate

Wow...haven't checked in a while, it's all looking great. The teleportation device above the tank is genius...you can teleport the aquarium anywhere in the house and even take it on holiday with you and the fish will be none the wiser. It's definitely the future..

Thanks Tim, im really pleased with the way its looking now. im finding it difficult to pull myself away from it. i have no dining table now so have had to revert to sitting on my bike tyre all evening staring at it. haha ha funny you mention the lighting my little girl said its like something from doctor who :lol: ive been to brazil 3 times this week ;)

Sorry for hogging this journal with doubts & questions but Al could you sum up the factors (in your opinion) that lead to the success of this non co2 tank?

Man I would love to see a carpet like that in my tank some day.:hungry:

no need for apologies mate your comments and questions are always welcome. hmmm factors???

this is pretty much all i do with the tank in terms of maintenance etc, i do 2 ten percent water changes one on saturday the other on wednesday, i dose 1/10th of the recommended dosing on the fertilisers im using, macro after water change trace the day after then nothing until the next water change.
i have the glass lily pipe raised just a little so its pulling down water from the surface and agitating the surface only a small amount which is also bringing in atmospheric co2 as well as o2 which seems to make the shrimp much more active, i think i have the balance just right so im not creating too much surface movement but just 8 hours lighting a day now. other than the two mixes of substrates thats it mate.
i only had a little gsa on the wood which i worked out was where the ikea led light was ointed during the night so have angled it stright to the back wall instead to create a moonlight on the wall which reflects into the tank.

Regarding the carpet, growth is insane, ive no idea what this plant is but im sending it off to Ed at freshwater so he can try it in a co2 set up to see if it changes but its covered the tank barring a patch at the front right which has the least flow.

heres a couple of pics just taken quickly on my s4 so crap photos from faulty camera........its having the camera replaced.

9310951345_8948fa10e5_b.jpg

9313735780_15e88cd570_b.jpg

9313733640_5f112caff5_b.jpg

a quick night shot....which is when i spend most of my time watching

9313880118_a603bf5755_b.jpg

and a couple of shrimp grazing on one of the ketappa leaves

9313740620_cdcf566ebe_b.jpg

The shot in partial light is absolutely beautifull!!! I don't think I could drag myself away either!!!!

Is that the little clip on light only?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers Al :) ,...sorry for bugging about the meter. Take your own time mate. I really appreciate your time & effort. The tank is phenomenal. A non co2 carpet !!! The scape is really taking its form now. Very natural. Have a great time admiring it Al,...you deserve every moment of it. A well paid reward for your patience, especially during its initial stages.:)

The shot in partial light is absolutely beautifull!!! I don't think I could drag myself away either!!!!

Is that the little clip on light only?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hiya ali. Night time is best to view this tank. The fish act totally different and more character I think because they can't see me.
Yep its just the little clip on ikea light. Its got some oomph for a 3w light. If I raise it higher it covers the whole tank.

Growth is amazing al, really looking top draw.
Will be really interesting to see what happens to the 'tennelus' on a high tech.

Cheers mate. Growth is amazing yeah im just not happy with anubias on the wood I may relocate that and get some moss growing up it or a smaller anubias nana petite maybe.
Ill be curious too how the tennelus pans out when it gets fuel injected.
Ive got other tennelus in amongst this but looks nothing like it

Cheers Al :) ,...sorry for bugging about the meter. Take your own time mate. I really appreciate your time & effort. The tank is phenomenal. A non co2 carpet !!! The scape is really taking its form now. Very natural. Have a great time admiring it Al,...you deserve every moment of it. A well paid reward for your patience, especially during its initial stages.:)

Faizel mate your words are really encouraging thanks. Bug all you want I dont mind as im curious about the readings myself and dont have my seneye anymore to try a rough estimate. As soon as I get it ill be testing straight away and posting up the results.

Alastair, next time you have some of the Dwarf Sagittaria. let me know, have not grown that in years.
Tempted to pop into Ikea for one of those lights. They do give alot of impact for the size.

Alastair, next time you have some of the Dwarf Sagittaria. let me know, have not grown that in years.
Tempted to pop into Ikea for one of those lights. They do give alot of impact for the size.

Hiya gill, its not dwarf saggitaria believe it or not as its too pointed and short plus the runners arent just one or two plantlets its trailing growth is identical to tennelus with multiple runners across the substrate with about 20 or so plantlets on each runner. Can send you some in a few weeks as ill be pulling some up at this rate

And the ikea lights are fantastic. You could easily run a small moss shrimp tank with one of these low tech. I bought the one with the clamp.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

That has filled in very quickly al, looks like a tennelus/ quadricostatus hybrid maybe with the broader leaves, tanks looking fabulous mate yourself and big Tom really are my low tech aquascaping heroes :) keep the updates coming please and a vid maybe when you have time ;)

just what i was thinking tim, im sending some off to ed today so will hopefully find out then. it looked like tennelus when in was in invitro form originally but much smaller obviously. ill jut have to wait and see but what ever it is its growth is amazing. will definitely keep the updates coming and as soon as my camera has been replaced ill do or try to make a vid like some of the pros do on here, just not as good ha ha.

that bike looks unused!

its brand new Ali, well a week old anyway. got it purely for free ride, jumps drops etc. i dont want to scratch it lol. ive had it out for a couple of hours but i do strip and clean my bikes after every ride anyway.

Alistair,

I would also be interested in some of that ground cover... tennelus/Sag...somthing else??

My breeding tanks use a lot of dwarf Sag and under low light (<10-15 PAR), the plant stays only a couple of inches, but you are saying yours is not that so another low tech rampant plant would be great.

Back