• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Duckweed(amazon frogbit) dead. Nutritient deficiency? Which one?

See, that's what I thought, high light causing it, but then without decreasing the light it stopped when correcting nutritient dosage(not carbon though) which is strange. My water is hard enough as I've got an old tank where I've missed wiping from the outside and it has got white deposits.
However, I never had GSA in any other tank and at the moment it's 4 altogether, a 5th being setup. So it isn't just the hard water. It shouldn't be the light for this tank otherwise I wouldn't have stopped the GSA with just different nutritient dosing and I would have had it before the tank was ever dosed up. It's possibly a combo of things I can't figure. The temperatures in all tanks are nearly identical too. This tank is the only one that gets the full range liquid carbon and daily nutritients. For the record, the GSA in this tank started a week after I introduced liquid carbon and nutritients for the first time in order to fight a minor BBA that appeared after I kept leaving the lights on for ages due to not having a timer at the time.

And then on another note, light intensity and temperature was always the same but I didn't always have GSA so I kind of thought that wasn't the problem and I still think it may not be a major problem as long as the rest are balanced.

No news yet because I wasn't able to save much. The rest just disappeared from the tank.
However, I put a bit of amazon frogbit in the betta tank where the salvinia thrives at the moment( I actually saw a few getting holes already so it may not be long living) The amazon frogbit fell apart, I had to take it out.
I also put a few in a 3L marina breeder box which normally pumps water from the tank via an air pump but now has a mini DIY sponge filter instead and 2 shrimp completely isolated from the main water as the shrimp were showing signs of stress(possibly the easy carbo double dose). Suprisingly, the amazon frogbit surviving leaves increased in size over a few days and I can see they are growing new leaves. The box just gets 50% daily water changes with tap dechlorinated water. My tap water if the nitrAte tests are right has barely any nitrAtes and the two shrimp weren't fed for a few days but now get one tiny shrimp pellet each a day so I wonder if that produces enough nitrAtes for the amazon frogbit to thrive in there, or does my tap water contain what it needs in general and the daily water changes are helping.
So at the moment, I dont' have much to experiment on. I may have to start again with a couple of plantlets.

Back