• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First 30L - Shrimp Are In

spill50

Hi all,

Well I've just received my first nano tank which I got free with my PFK subscription and figured I'd try a real attempt at aquascaping (unlike what I did with my soon to be re-scaped 120L).

Anyway I got a Fluval Ebi, which is 30cm x 30cm x 35cm. Overall I'm quite impressed with the kit but will be replacing bit with better stuff when I have the cash. I've started with replacing the Fluval substrate with ADA Amazonia 2, and got myself 3kg of Mini Landscape rock and some nice bits of Manzanita wood from Aqua Essentials.

I'll post more info on the setup later. I just wanted to get the first photos of my attempt at hardscaping out there and would really appreciate any comments/advice anyone has. I'll be adding more aqua soil (powder) over the hill and around the rock to blend it better after I have finalised the hardscape.

Richard

30l-photo-001.jpg

30l-photo-002.jpg

My First Real Aqua Scape - 30L

Thanks, plants... not got that far yet :)

I've kind of got what I want it to look like in my head but need to find the right plants to do it. Any suggestion are welcome.

Re: My First Real Aqua Scape - 30L

I can see that some Ranunculus in there around the rocks, it's a lovely little plant. Doesn't get to big either.

I like then dimensions of these tanks. What it did you go for ? The plant or shrimp?What did you do with the old substrate?

The layout is really nice, flows well...spar from the rock front left, the flatness and angle of it is really distracting. Give it a twist or just a slight tweak, maybe lay it flatter.

The Plant choice is really your call, what has inspired you so far, Plus the added details of co2 ect will help a bunch.

My First Real Aqua Scape - 30L

They are nice tanks, they messed up sending the tanks out to some people so I ended up not having a choice and got the Ebi (shrimp). Though it hasn't really made a difference. I've still got the Fluval stratum (un-opened) if anyone wants it.

I may take a chunk off the front bottom of that left hand rock so I can angle it more so it leads into the smaller rock at the back better.

I'm planning on adding a pressurised CO2 system and replacing the internal filter with an external and some nice glassware. It's on full view in my living room so I want it to look impressive.

Inspiration has really been tanks I've seen here and on other sites, with a bit of the west coast of Vancouver island thrown in.

5364e145-d87b-dfb2.jpg

Attachments

• 5364e145-d87b-dfb2.jpg
    5364e145-d87b-dfb2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 5364e145-d87b-dfb2.jpg
    5364e145-d87b-dfb2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 78

Update time :D

Well I've spent the last few days making minor changes to the positions of the wood and rocks but I'm finally at the stage where I'm happy with it, so here it is.

30l-photo-003.jpg

I've used 1 3L bag of Amazonia 2 and about 2-2.5L of Amazonia 2 Powder to cap it off.

I've also finally ordered my plants from the good chaps at TGM, so I'm hoping they arrive before the weekend. I originally was looking at going with Eleocharis parvula or Eleocharis acicularis for the carpet but I was really struggling to find a plant I though contrasted well with it (i dont really know much about plants :crazy: ). Anyway I ended up going with what maybe considered a bit of a common direction. HC for the carpet and spot planting Eleocharis acicularis around the wood and rocks.

I hope I've made the right decision for the plants, I guess only time will tell.

I also purchased some funky aluminium bottles and tins from ampulla.co.uk to make my fert dosing life easier and for food storage. I remembered someone mentioned ampulla in another post. They have some nice stuff. I just need to devise a cunning labelling scheme that goes with the nice brushed aluminium look (rather than just using a black marker on the base)

30l-photo-004.jpg

As always all comments are welcome.

Richard

Awesome journal so far, I've no experience in planted tanks so I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress.
I got the fluval flora from pfk, so I'm interested to see how you get on.

Was there a reason behind not using the supplied substrate that came with the tank?

Thanks dazza, I've seen your journal, so will be following yours as well. I don't have much experience either. I setup my 120L tank nearly 2 years ago, planted, but I wouldn't say aquascaped. I'm planning on re-doing it from scratch soon as well.

I didn't use the supplied substrate as there wasn't enough of it. You only get 2kg and I used about 5.5L of Amazonia.

Update on the plants:
The chaps at TGM have informed me my plants will be with me Monday. I was hoping they would arrive before the weekend but it ties in perfectly with my half day at work on Monday so all is good.

I also need to look at replacing the internal filter with an external. I've been looking at the Rena XP1 has anyone used the Rena filters before? (will be adding glassware to it at some point)

Well all my plants arrived today,

9x HC
3x Eleocharis acicularis

and I've spent all evening planting and filling it.

I'm planning on upgrading to an external filter and some nice glassware when I have the cash so until then I'll be using the standard Fluval Nano Filter which seems to give a fair amount of movement. I've actually had to turn the flow down slightly.

Anyway here's some pics, I hope you like ;)

30l-photo-005.jpg

30l-photo-006.jpg

30l-photo-007.jpg

Looks great Spill, i will be watching your tank with interest ;)

LP

Subbed this one. How many ml does each pump dose on those ally bottles?

Love it Spill!

Love that Hairgrass around the rock, it will look really natural when taken.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

The pump dispensers dose 1ml per pump. I'm trying out the APF Plant Nutrition mix from www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk for this tank. It's recommended 5ml per 50L so I'm dosing 3ml a day plus 1ml easy carbo.

I'll be adding gas as soon as my glassware arrives, my regulator arrived yesterday, the FE has just arrived and I'm hoping my glassware arrives today as well. If not it will be Monday as for some reason Royal Mail don't like doing special deliveries to my area on a Saturday.

In the mean time I'm using up a tetra optimat co2 kit I had lying around and keeping the diffuser topped up so there is a constant source of co2.

I did the first water change last night and the water is much clearer now. I've also managed to turn the flow on the filter up a bit as before it was pulling the HC up. I'm actually quite impressed with the nano filter so far.

Fauna, yes I'm planning on adding some shrimp, never kept them before so that should be interesting. I'd also like to add a small shoal of some sort just to add a bit of colour and movement to the mid/top areas of the tank. Not sure what to get yet though. Any suggestions are welcome.

My Ammonia readings are quite high at the moment which is to be expected from the Aqua Soil, so it will probably be another 2-3 weeks before it's ready for the little guys.

I'll be updating my first post with the full spec tonight when I have more time and I'm not supposed to be working ;)

This is looking great, I'm curious to see which regulator you got as we have very similar kit. I just need to get my Co2 stuff sorted.

I see alittle growth on the small piece of wood on the left of the last photo. I have this on mine as well.

What is best to clear it ? just remove it on a water change, i know its nothing to worry about though.

LP

dazza:
I got this regulator

30l-photo-008.jpg

LP:
not sure, I can't tell which bit you mean. I will take a proper look when I get home at 5. If it's algae I'll scrape it off, then spot dose easy carbo. I hope it's not algae already.

Sweet, think ill be getting some of those then

Back