• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Preventing Pseudomugil from jumping out of the tank

parotet

Hi all

I have finally decided what to add to my 60 liters tank and it will be Pseudomugil gertrudae or P. furcatus, depending on the availability at the LFS... anyway both are awesome.

I have read that they are very good jumpers and at the LFS I've been told that during the day it is not a problem (not a bigger problem than for other species) but it looks like they do jump by night quite often. Actually it is a very cool LFS with at least 10 large opened and massive planted tanks filled with water to the very top... and the manager told me that he covers every night the tanks with plastic lids.

Obviously I want to avoid finding my Pseudomugil on the floor but I don't really like plastic lids (even by night)and if I am leaving for some days I would prefer the tank to remain opened for a better gas exchange.

Any suggestion? I'm sure you have it guys...
Maybe a transparent plastic grid?

Cheers,
Jordi

Last edited:
Maybe a nightlight will help the anxious fishy sleep well?

I have so Pseudomugil Ivantsoffi in my LFS, I'd get them if it wasn't for the jumping :(

Maybe some floating plants? Just an idea? But a cover would definitely work!

Years ago a I bought a roll of fine black fibreglass window screen mesh in B&Q and it's come in handy for all sorts of things. Don't know if they still sell it, but even though it would cut out a small amount of light, it's pretty unobtrusive and would be ideal for this.

Gertrudae is not that jumpie. But furcata is a jumper. Sometimes this jumps to the light so close reading lamp etc is not recommended. A little led backlight to your tank would solve the problem
Hi Viktor, the solution you give with the backlight is for furcata and by night, isn't it? I understand that gertrudae won't need it.

Hi Viktor, the solution you give with the backlight is for furcata and by night, isn't it? I understand that gertrudae won't need it.

Yup only for night and for Furcata. Probably the best if you put this to the bottom part of your tank.
These fishes are really crazy. I've seen it personally when we had a LED light bulb on after the tank light went off one of the tanks where we had like 80 Furcata they started to jump out one by one into the direction of the light.
I thought the only solution is to have dark when the tank light goes out or at least avoid strong light close to the tank. But a few of our forum member at the Hungarian board reported that with a little LED backlight they keep it without any issue.

Guertrudae are much smaller in size. Their activity also different not as crazy as Furcata.
Still if you have a large tank i would go for Furcata as their colors are really unbelievable when they reach the adult size. Meanwhile this is really rare to get a nice Gertrudae what you can find on the internet with the nice blue fin etc.

There are other species too like Signifer which is not that colorful but a good fish.

I've seen a wonderful Pseudomugil at Interzoo 2012 in one of the Anubias tank what Oliver Knott installed. It's like Gertrudae, but then a wonderful selection, but probably a different fish. This one looked amazing.
Otherwise go with Furcata :)

7233030000_5b10ce076b_b.jpg
Interzoo 2012 Day 2
by viktorlantos, on Flickr

7233029296_5550ee1f3d_b.jpg
Interzoo 2012 Day 2

from our old tanks

7135379191_a5f505bb17_c.jpg
Fishes shots

Thank you Viktor! Very useful comments! Regarding gertrudae it is true that the really beautiful ones are bluish with black dots on the fins (Aru, are they called?) but the most common here are yellowish.

I'm looking for some gertrudae as well, really great fish, have kept them before and they really light up any tank. Of all the ones I have seen, most are the "standard" ones like those in Viktors photo from Interzoo, there are some Pseudomugil sp iriani, available which are gorgeous but double the pice of the regular gertrudae.
Cheers.Rod

I'm looking for some gertrudae as well, really great fish, have kept them before and they really light up any tank. Of all the ones I have seen, most are the "standard" ones like those in Viktors photo from Interzoo, there are some Pseudomugil sp iriani, available which are gorgeous but double the pice of the regular gertrudae.
Cheers.Rod

There are many strains of P.gertrudae in the world, but those in Victor's photo arent "standard", they look like Aru IIs or IVs which are slightly larger than common aquarium strain gerts, their tail colour spots give them away which are absent in the common LFS variety. They are actually more rare than Pseudomugil sp iriani/paskai. :)

Back