• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dry fertiliser mixing ?

Frenchi

Hi
I got a dry fertiliser Ei kit and was just wondering if it was ok to mix the trace elements with the NPK (macro with micro) it does state to mix separate and dose on different days, my problem is I work 12 hr shifts and depend on my wife to do the dosing for me, I'm sure she will get it all wrong and probably pi**ed off with it.

What's your thoughts plz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, assuming you start early, just dose before you go to work
Or just label the bottles 1 and 2, do a quick daily chart
eg
Mon bottle 1, 25ml, (or whatever the dose)
Tues bottle 2
and so on
I'm sure she won't get it wrong ;)

Fern

Hi, assuming you start early, just dose before you go to work
Or just label the bottles 1 and 2, do a quick daily chart
eg
Mon bottle 1, 25ml, (or whatever the dose)
Tues bottle 2
and so on
I'm sure she won't get it wrong ;)

Fern
Hi Fern
My problem is she has no interest in my tanks and I have 3 on the go I'm sure she can do it, it's just I do her head in (she says)!
Quote: It's becoming a full time job!
:)

Supposedly mixing the phosphate in macro with micro will cause the iron in the micro to precipitate out as insoluble iron phosphate and thus be not available to the plants. This is why you does alternate days.

You can always prefill loads of little bottles with macro & macro labelled mon, tues etc. I did this so neighbour could dose my tank whilst away.
30ml natural round bottle with white flip top cap

No need for person dosing the tank to measure anything, just choose the bottle of the day and empty it all into the tank.

I ended up building a dosing pump as neighbour not comfortable dosing the tank.
DIY dual peristaltic dosing pump with alternate switching. | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Supposedly mixing the phosphate in macro with micro will cause the iron in the micro to precipitate out as insoluble iron phosphate and thus be not available to the plants. This is why you does alternate days.

You can always prefill loads of little bottles with macro & macro labelled mon, tues etc. I did this so neighbour could dose my tank whilst away.
30ml natural round bottle with white flip top cap

No need for person dosing the tank to measure anything, just choose the bottle of the day and empty it all into the tank.

I ended up building a dosing pump as neighbour not comfortable dosing the tank.
DIY dual peristaltic dosing pump with alternate switching. | UK Aquatic Plant Society
That's the way forward thanks for that .. I think she will go for that :)
Simplicity :)
Cheers

Just another question it states 10ml for every 50 ltr if I double up on the dry ferts can I just dose 5ml for every 50ltr or will it be too pure ?

Im sure you can dose any time of the day. Just dose when you are home and save the ear ache :)

As long as your plants have the enough of each element they arent bothered about when they are fed. When you do you your weekly water change just bang a load of ferts in then, even a double dose if you are pushed for time later in the week.

edit : put the ferts in however much water you want, put them in dry with a tablespoon if you wish

Just another question it states 10ml for every 50 ltr if I double up on the dry ferts can I just dose 5ml for every 50ltr or will it be too pure ?
You may run into solubility issues, in that at double strength not all the salts might not dissolve in the small amount of water, especially if cold.

Or leave the powders in little packets and just dose them dry?? As Clive keeps saying, just chuck them in and stop worrying??

Thanks guys I'm new to this dry mix stuff.. I've been using jbl ready mix it was easy but at £20 a bottle :( ... Dry all the way it keeps my wife happy ..
Thanks again ppl :)

I agree with bridgey_c. What does your shift have to do with anything? Dose when you are home and end any possibility of arguments with someone who thinks that dosing is a chore. It doesn't matter what time of the day the tank is dosed. I wouldn't even bother making up a solution. Just throw powder into the tank and get on with it. Dosing nutrients is supposed to be the easiest thing to do...

Cheers,

I agree with bridgey_c. What does your shift have to do with anything? Dose when you are home and end any possibility of arguments with someone who thinks that dosing is a chore. It doesn't matter what time of the day the tank is dosed. I wouldn't even bother making up a solution. Just throw powder into the tank and get on with it. Dosing nutrients is supposed to be the easiest thing to do...

Cheers,
I wasn't sure if it's best to have routine etc.. That's the reason I was asking .. I wasn't aware the dry ferts could be just put straight into the tank .. How would I work out how much to put in?

Hi,
Yes, having a routine is better, but the purpose of the routine is to have a steady flow of nutrient availability so the plants never have to figure out when the next meal will come along. Have a look at the Tutorial
EI DOSING USING DRY SALTS | UK Aquatic Plant Society

The salient paragraph is repeated here below. Scale everything based on the 20 USG reference tank (i.e. if your tank is 60 USG then multiply all the numbers by 3). The only reason for mixing the powders in a bottle is that for small tanks it is difficult to measure out the powder weights for single doses.

Here is a sample of how the reference 20 US gallon tank could be dosed:

Sunday 50% or more Water Change then dose [3/16 teaspoon KNO3] + [1/16 teaspoon KH2PO4] + [½ teaspoon MgSO4]
Monday 1/16 teaspoon (Trace mix)
Tuesday - [3/16 teaspoon KNO3] + [1/16 teaspoon KH2PO4] + [½ teaspoon MgSO4]
Wednesday - 1/16 teaspoon (Trace mix)
Thursday - [3/16 teaspoon KNO3] + [1/16 teaspoon KH2PO4] + [½ teaspoon MgSO4]
Friday Rest
Saturday - Rest

Cheers,

Hi,
Yes, having a routine is better, but the purpose of the routine is to have a steady flow of nutrient availability so the plants never have to figure out when the next meal will come along. Have a look at the Tutorial
EI DOSING USING DRY SALTS | UK Aquatic Plant Society

The salient paragraph is repeated here below. Scale everything based on the 20 USG reference tank (i.e. if your tank is 60 USG then multiply all the numbers by 3). The only reason for mixing the powders in a bottle is that for small tanks it is difficult to measure out the powder weights for single doses.

Cheers,
Cheers for that :)

Back