• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wallichii substitute!

KirstyF

Hi All
I’m after some fine leaved stems for my hardish water. 12kh/gh.

I love Wallichii but don’t think they would fair well in my water so wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a substitute with a similar fine leaf type and a little bit of colour would be nice.

Running Co2, medium light, full EI for anyone not familiar with my tank.

Thanks in advance for any replies. 😊

I doubt tuberculatum would grow in that water, i had kh of 11, it get dark brown weird color, maybe clive would be able to grow it, would be fun to see if it really need soft water

Last edited:
9638456291_e573f093d7_c.jpg
Some of the stems in this picture appear to not be doing so well, what is the cause of this?

In what way?
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 13.04.20.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 13.04.34.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 13.04.27.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 13.04.30.png

crinkly growth, algae on old growth, small unhealthy plants, multiple sideshoots (when healthy sideshoots should be minimal.) black poor colour on older leaves.
and if you look at the back you will see the ammannia.
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 13.06.18.png

algae on old growth "deficient" twisted leaves, black splotchy colours.

We learn everyday. 🤓

I don't think so. Wallichii has been said right and left, up and down to be KH and EI sensitive. I've never grown it so I have no idea but that's what you read wherever you put your eyes on starting by the experiment created by some unwelcome folk in the forum: Aquarium

@GreggZ We got another myth debunked.
Like many things in this hobby there are shades of grey. I have personally found Wallachii to prefer lower dKH and lower water column ferts. That being said at one time I was growing it in very hard (15 dKH) water at full EI dosing. But at the higher levels I found I could keep it alive, and but as dKH and nutrient levels drop it's easier to maintain and with a better form.

Clive, I always wanted to ask you about this. can you please explain why there is stunting of these plants in Co2 enriched tank including yours and Tom's who strongly advocate almost all problems are Co2 related? While Sudipta is growing some of these plant Species in Non Co2 aquarium. Thank you

far as Rotala wallichii goes, we have many people here in Utah who can grow several plant including rotala wallichii in our hard water. but the growth is very limited, the plant would throw few leaves here and there with longer internodes and severely stunted leaves covered with algae.

far as debunking the myth goes, am not fully convinced because "there is a huge difference between growing them, maintaining that growth and health vs forcing them to maintain that growth and health". if anything I do agree that some plant are listed as Soft water while they grow perfectly fine in Hard water, Cabomba Furcata for example is wildly grown here in Utah in our hard water without any issues. either its adapted well to any water condition or either the information about this plant is not correct to begin with.

Clive #1
1648305778681.png

Clive #2
1648305904053.png

Tom Barr #1
1648305851403.png

Sudipta #1
1648306120444.png

Attachments

• 1648311309415.png
    1648311309415.png
    776.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
DSC00937.jpg

My Rotala Wallichii (which might be Enie - I just bought another bunch of Rotala Wallichii which the shop got from APC Thailand so I will compare the 2 once the latter converts to submersed) is a lot 'bushier' rather than 'thin and narrow' (these are just excess cuttings of overgrown stems which I dumped into my spare tank so please excuse the excessive bending....they usually grow reasonably straight)

Hi All
I’m after some fine leaved stems for my hardish water. 12kh/gh.

I love Wallichii but don’t think they would fair well in my water so wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a substitute with a similar fine leaf type and a little bit of colour would be nice.

Running Co2, medium light, full EI for anyone not familiar with my tank.

Thanks in advance for any replies. 😊
Kirsty,
give Wallichii a try in your 12 GH/KH tank and report back.

Clive, I always wanted to ask you about this. can you please explain why there is stunting of these plants in Co2 enriched tank including yours and Tom's who strongly advocate almost all problems are Co2 related? While Sudipta is growing some of these plant Species in Non Co2 aquarium. Thank you
Happi you are a funny guy. You cherry pick one pic of Ammania from Tom Barr and suggest that it invalidates what Tom has written and said about the importance of good CO2 injection for many years. His thoughts on CO2 are shared by a large number of the most successful and well known planted tankers in the world. I could counter with dozens and dozens of pictures from Tom that show a wide variety of Ammania in peak health that have been grown in a wide variety of conditions.

And Tom has personally sent me bunches of Ammania over the years that are in stunning peak health.

Sudipta is growing some beautifully in a non-CO2 tank. He will tell you that when he posts pics it is in peak health, but at other times it struggles a bit. Many times the change is related to temperature. But the issue so far with his method is that it has not proven to be repeatable on a larger scale. And who knows, maybe it will but at this time it's quite an outlier.

Meanwhile thousands of folks have modeled Tom Barr's methods and have demonstrated great success over a period of many years. That is undeniable. And as I get to know more and more folks from all over the world it's amazing how many reference Tom when they describe what makes them successful.

Last edited:
here is the link for pictures of @Conort2 's wallichi. if people with no co2, high light (sudipta, erwin) can grow it with no co2 can grow the plant with no stunting, is this not something that shows EI dosing doesn't work for all plants? am not trying to say EI never works, just that some plants wont like it, and there can be adjustments made for improvements.

here is the link for pictures of @Conort2 's wallichi. if people with no co2, high light (sudipta, erwin) can grow it with no co2 can grow the plant with no stunting, is this not something that shows EI dosing doesn't work for all plants? am not trying to say EI never works, just that some plants wont like it, and there can be adjustments made for improvements.
I need to take some new pictures, it’s taken over the whole top of the tank now and still has great form and colour.

1648340903872.png

If "Enie" is easier to grow in hard water than Wallichii maybe you get some Enie as well. Anyway, I should be able to figure out the difference (if any) once my new "Wallichii" convert to submersed. In emersed green form, I can't tell the difference.
Above slide is from Vin's presentation - left and right are labelled as "Wallichii" but left side has red stems, right side doesn't.... so I'm trying to figure out, is left side "Enie" and right side "Wallichii"?

Last edited:
If "Enie" is easier to grow in hard water than Wallichii maybe you get some Enie as well. Anyway, I should be able to figure out the difference (if any) once my new "Wallichii" convert to submersed. In emersed green form, I can't tell the difference.
I found "Rotala wallichii" and "Rotala Enie" to react in a similar pattern during experiments. if you can grow "Rotala Enie" then you shouldn't have any problem growing "Rotala wallichii"

Back