• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Her indoors/the accountant/the killjoy

Christmas is just around the corner.
Why not ask her what it is she want's for Christmas while hinting later (at least a week),that her continued love and support is all that you need but the CO2 kit would be more than you could ever hope for .
If she balks,, then buy her some granny panties and a set of pot holders.

Sorry guys, mines good as gold and incorages me. I do the same for her interests, we are not here long if you can't do the things you injoy what's the point in being together. If I want to be a sofa bear one days I'm a sofa bear, she will be out kayaking, cycling. I never have understood this trouser wearing scenario.......we have a leg each.:D I don't go out to the pub those things don't interest me. I'd rather stay home and play with my aquatic bits.:)

Last edited:
@Mr. Teapot I think not even mentioning pressurised tanks is a wise move as I am certain she will indeed believe that certain death will entail and probably involving one of the kids!

@roadmaster already mentioned a possible Christmas pressie but it was a no go so rubbish pants and an iron it is
@kirk I don't drink or smoke or do any of those money wasting pastimes and all i want to do is embrace my new found hobby but alas I don't have the backing of my better half

So the winner so far is Troi!! I think I am just going to have to weather the storm and beg forgiveness quite alot:angelic:

Hi all, I have the same problem.

cheers Darrel
Me too... No secrets regarding the expenses. Make your tanks look beautiful in the living room (your experimentation tanks, your tanks with algae, breeding tanks and so on are much better in the garage). She would look at it as a nice piece of furniture. I also show her gorgeous tanks on YouTube or bring her to the fancy LFS where there are stunning ADA tanks... so she is aware that something even more beautiful can be there one day (she doesn't know this is just an illusion... :))

I guess all this is not really the secret, I guess she just let me be to avoid this pressure lol

Jordi

Sorry guys, mines good as gold and incorages me.
Yep, TBH that's my situation. Anyway not bad to point out that: I don't smoke, I don't like very much spending my time and money on pubs, I don't like big and expensive cars... so I joke and say that she's is lucky to live with someone whose worst obsession is having plants in a glass cube!

I'm ashamed to say I just lie through my teeth, it's for the good of the relationship though. ;)

Seriously, If I was starting up again I'd get used equipment off here or PFK for a fraction of the price of buying new.

If I was married to Ldcgroomer I'd definately have to put my foot down about the cost of that fish room!

Wow I never realised how many members tell porkies just to prevent ear ache ha ha.

At the end of the day, neither partner should have the say over what can and can't happen, should be equal.
I'd just do it anyway, what's the worst that can happen?? She finishes you, packs her bags and leaves, therefore giving you even more room for tanks. Yayyyy Win win.
obviously if it's to the point where your taking over under the stairs (cough lindy cough) then I'd have to have a word lol. Only joking.

I can't say anything, my 3rd bedroom in my new house was to be a living room/study room for my daughter l.......................it's full of filters lights ferts substrates tanks you name it just enough space to get my bike in and out.
Don't know where I'm squeezing Dan, George and couple of others when I set my new tank up shortly

Hi all,
so how do you do it what's the secret?
Same as the others really, spend as little as possible, and then as cash. Try and buy things via Paypal, but only when my Paypal account is in credit. Get any parcels sent to work.

I have to buy small items (fluorescent tubes, some biological items) for work and then claim the money back, so if the supplier is ambiguous and she asks what it was I can say "That was for work, I'll get the money back when I put my claims in" , and at least that buys me a little time.

A few years ago I was actually in credit (if you ignore electricity), because I had fish that I could sell to local LFS (juvenile Hypancistrus and Apistogramma) mainly, it brought in ~£100 a year.

The problem was that I wanted to try different fish and I ended up with no spare fish, or spare fish that there was no market for locally.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as kirk. We have just sold our large L shaped couch and gone for a smaller 3 seater so I can have another tank in the living room. She's not overly interested but knows more about fish keeping than she is willing to admit and as long as they are kept clean and not filled with brown fish she's happy. Just looking into embarking on my first reef tank and she didn't bat an eyelid.

How about..................

th

I think a few of you fellas need to ask for your trousers back :lol: I always use the it's for the good of the fish darling, you wouldn't want any harm to come to the poor little creatures ;)

This is pretty much me too. I don't ask her or even tell her. I just buy it. I don't expect her to ask if she can buy things (as long as she doesn't go mad) nor do I question why she needs to spend £20 a month to use a weight watchers scale or £15 a month to a gym to use the floor for aerobics, shower and exercise bikes when we have a floor a shower and an exercise bike at home.

If you have to beg for stuff then there is something wrong :)

Ok so I have taken all your advice and purchased a second tank, 2 tiles and controller a regulator and loads of wood and stone, so if you see a short man asleep in a doorway under some cardboard with all this gear say hi because that will be me:wave:

If you have to beg for stuff then there is something wrong :)
If you earn your own money and as an adult... I think most of us don't really need a permit. It is rather a self-justification. I know I could spend 10 times more on aquarium gadgets but I try to keep calm, to convince myself that I really don't need all that stuff and that if my tank doesn't look as nice as I would like it is just my lack of skills, that afterwards you do not use all of them, etc.... and this kind of game with your partner is more or less that.
I remember one day I found myself explaining to my wife the features of the new filter I wanted to purchase and how this was going to change 'our lives'... You can imagine her face. She just asked me if my colleagues at the forum agree with the decision :)

Jordi

If you earn your own money and as an adult... I think most of us don't really need a permit. It is rather a self-justification

Exactly. I'm not suggesting splurging without a conscience. As long as it isn't a selfish act then I don't see a problem. After all if I want something expensive and we can afford it without it restricting other plans / needs then I go for it. It will often mean I am uber tight afterward too.

Back