• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

‘Phœnix’ , 45x27x30cm.

ED411BC1-3E89-4D98-A662-126D4879BE02.jpeg
817BA582-27E1-471D-AA26-19C278D30E0E.jpeg

Hey guys, small update on this one…turned out quite nicely for something that was just supposed to be an buce holding tank, with some minor tweaks I think it could turn into a unpretentious contest tank.

A friend of mine who stopped his business was kind enough to sell me his superjet es150 v2.0, very impressed so far, I wouldn’t have paid the full price for it but for less than half of the retail price, it is quite an deal. I love the silence, the average flow, the huge media capacity and ofc the solid finish and lovely design.

Let’s see how it works in the long time, as I still have some small patches of starghorn and some hair algae, will all this media help against algae? Let’s find out. I was previously using an Dennerle scapers flow, which I’m now using on a mini S sized tank.

Have a nice Sunday evening
Cheers
Thierry

Hi Thierry - i like your aquarium very much! May i ask your water parameters and hardness?
Thanks, mes salutations distinguées-

Looks good now it's grown in ,the focal points look great
Thank you, much appreciated !
Agree with your CO2 method, keeps it balanced throughout the day without peaks and lows. I've had great success using the same.
Glad to hear, I just found it easier and not so costly in smaller tanks, actually around 1 bubble every 3 seconds on my nanos. ;)

Hi Thierry - i like your aquarium very much! May i ask your water parameters and hardness?
Thanks, mes salutations distinguées-
Hi, thanks! I’m sorry I don’t test my water apart from conductivity (around 160ppm), temp (21-22 in winter-24-26 in summer) and Ph (6,5). I shall try to find some gh and kh test for you next week so I can tell. :)

Love this tank @CooKieS , superb work 😍
Thanks a ton Geoffrey , much appreciated as always. 🙏

Probably one of my favourite, tank looks amazing 😁
Thanks a lot! Glad you like it :)

That looks absolutely stunning, super impressive for a 45P.
Many thanks! Glad you like it :)

This is a stunning aqua scape. Really great job! :)
And thanks again! :)

Some updates;

Tank is still running fine, these last weeks I nearly stopped any fertilisation (apart some masterline all in one golden just after the weekly waterchange).

Strangely the staghorn disappeared, though this one was caused by lack of K but in my case it was probably due to an excessive flow that isn’t here anymore with the Ada filter. (The outlet is directly going in the rotala bush in the back now).

Stopped using daily carbo too, started this as an cure against staghorn but it’s not very effective when dosed daily (even at double dosage) into the aquarium, so I completely stopped it.

On the other hand, some of my buces are getting holes, it looks like some sort of sickness, starts from an small yellowish point ( mostly happens on older leaves but younger leaves can be affected too) and then the hole gets bigger and the plant looks like it’s being eaten. For me this isn’t related to fertilisation as I noticed it started before I got even leaner on ferts. Any ideas? Will post some pics asap.

(Nearly every buce seems affected, the ones in the shady areas and the ones under the light unit. The bigger one from Ada in the top right (kishii) seems to suffer the most, already lost 2 big leaves and an third one is starting to being ‘eaten’ too).

The situation is still under control for now (I usually trim the affected leaves, and lost only one leaf every 3-4 weeks on some species) but I would like to find the cause as I have some rare Bucephalandra in there right now.

Thanks a lot for your help and feedback.

50D8E669-B8BC-447E-AA6C-9FFE1F50253E.jpeg

87291839-DBCA-4538-A35E-C6EB305772B7.jpeg

Forgot to mention, I have ramshorn snails in the tank, quite a lot atm, I barely had any issues with these (apart from munching my Phyllanthus fluitans, they are usually doing an wonderful job at cleaning algae on glass/hardscape and plants) but now I’m wondering if the colony is too big and there is not enough food/algae in the tank, could they be the cause of the holes in the buce? I doubt it, because I never had this issue with these but ,still, interesting to hear others story.

Hi.
Im really impressed with this tank on every level. I have spent too long studying it!
Hope you don't mind but i would like to ask a question.
How are you diffusing the CO2 into the tank?
I have just started to use CO2 and really struggling to get it all around the water column. Only possible if i turn the filter up to full power which is crazy.
So how do you do it with such a packed out tank and as you say using less flow with the ADA Filter?
Thank you so much for sharing this!
Simon

I had a similar issue @CooKieS with my Buce some time ago, when I was also regularly dosing Excel. I stopped dosing the Excel and eventually the Buce improved. (Holey Buce Batman! . . .)

Thanks Wookii, that’s interesting, the holes in my buce looks just like yours but not as many yet… (on 5/6 leaves I have just one affected usually, and it has usually one hole only).

I’ve been using carbo on many tanks before, sometimes at triple dose (I’m using masterline, it’s more diluted than excel) without any issues. I usually only use it to get rid of some staghorn but I learned over the years that spot dosing works best for this (with h2o2 even better than glutaraldehyde sometimes).

Anyway, now that I’m not using it anymore, I will see how it goes! In the meantime I decided to dose an bit more ferts too, just to be sure it’s not an macro deficiency.

The snails are definitely out of cause for me, regarding the fact I have ramshorn snails in all my tanks since years and they never caused damage to buce before.

Hi.
Im really impressed with this tank on every level. I have spent too long studying it!
Hope you don't mind but i would like to ask a question.
How are you diffusing the CO2 into the tank?
I have just started to use CO2 and really struggling to get it all around the water column. Only possible if i turn the filter up to full power which is crazy.
So how do you do it with such a packed out tank and as you say using less flow with the ADA Filter?
Thank you so much for sharing this!
Simon

Well thanks a lot Simon, glad it can inspire others.
I know that you can read all over the internet that co2 has to be blasted everywhere in the tank to get good distribution but by doing this I usually have more issues than benefits (especially with red algae like BBA who loves to grow on hardscape or slow growing plants that are blasted with flow and co2).
So for the last two years , I’m putting my co2 diffuser in a low flow area, sometimes even near the inlet so the filter works like an reactor for example.
In this case the co2 diffuser (from planted box, looks similar to the tropica all in one diffuser , I use Aquario neo too usually for smaller tanks like this one) is located in the back right of the tank, under the rotala bush.
Still, it works and take no effort to get an light green drop checker, but don’t forget that I do 24/7 co2 at lower bps (around 1 bubble every 4 seconds on this one).
I usually take the example of Ada gallery tanks; the flow Is usually low to medium on these tanks, and no algae can be seen, that’s how their filter works ; huge media capacity but gentle flow.
Flow + co2 means problems to me.

Cheers
Thierry

Flow + co2 means problems to me.
Theres an interesting counterculture development to the flow-flow-flow! movement that ive observed occasionally here on UKAPS but a lot more commonly on instagram.
Im hoping we can gain some useful insight from it :geek:
Some people are reporting less problems with BBA after reducing flow, and its intriguing. Especially if the plants still grow well.
Many of us are quite interested in the detailed workings behind BBA (ref. multiple long inconclusive threads), so thats something to look into further.
I would welcome some knowledge that could bridge the gap between washing machine and the tanks that almost appear to be still pools of water but still grow plants well.
Where does the need for flow actually lie? And is too much actually harmful in some ways?
But thats not the topic of this thread of course 😁

Beautiful tank as always @CooKieS 😃
Im not surprised your Kishii is complaining the most, it seems to me to be a bit demanding for a buce.

Hi CooKieS.
I'm studying your tank again!
Please can you explain your Lily Pipe Outlet setup? It looks like a combination of steel pipe to glass Lily using clear pipe as a connector?
Which Lily Pipe is it for such a small tank?
Thank you!

Thanks Wookii, that’s interesting, the holes in my buce looks just like yours but not as many yet… (on 5/6 leaves I have just one affected usually, and it has usually one hole only).

I’ve been using carbo on many tanks before, sometimes at triple dose (I’m using masterline, it’s more diluted than excel) without any issues. I usually only use it to get rid of some staghorn but I learned over the years that spot dosing works best for this (with h2o2 even better than glutaraldehyde sometimes).

I've never had any issues spot dosing it to kill of staghorn and BBA, I like that as a short term fix to help get rid of stubborn spots, the issues for me came when I dosed it daily over a period of several months as a preventative measure.

Theres an interesting counterculture development to the flow-flow-flow! movement that ive observed occasionally here on UKAPS but a lot more commonly on instagram.
Im hoping we can gain some useful insight from it :geek:
Some people are reporting less problems with BBA after reducing flow, and its intriguing. Especially if the plants still grow well.
Many of us are quite interested in the detailed workings behind BBA (ref. multiple long inconclusive threads), so thats something to look into further.
I would welcome some knowledge that could bridge the gap between washing machine and the tanks that almost appear to be still pools of water but still grow plants well.
Where does the need for flow actually lie? And is too much actually harmful in some ways?
But thats not the topic of this thread of course 😁

Beautiful tank as always @CooKieS 😃
Im not surprised your Kishii is complaining the most, it seems to me to be a bit demanding for a buce.

To be honest, the ‘chemical’ aspect of this hobby isn’t what I like the most; I like to do experiment and I learn from every scape…like most of us I guess.

I haven’t seen any BBA in my tanks since I learned to avoid directing the flow on hardscape or slow growing plants, it seems that high flow combined with co2 injection (inline for example) is even worse and I ALWAYS get BBA when I do this. So basically, BBA is triggered by flow (and co2 in a certain manner).
Fertilisation or filter cleaning or lightning has nothing to do with it IMO.
For example, I have never seen any BBA in any of my non filtered setup…
Same goes for my low flow setup.
I even had a shrimp setup, and guess what, patches of bba appeared on a bolbitis, just near the outlet of air sponge filter, the rest of the tank was completely algae free.
Had the same experience in my high tech setup…bba on cyperus helferi just after the outlet, the cyperus growing in the still water part was spotless…just my 2 cents on this debate. ;)

Back to the subject; the kishii has been growing absolutely fine since the beginning but it’s an slow grower, expect 1 new leaf every month or even less…but now it’s the one that is suffering the most,
I wonder if it’s because the leaves are so big?

Hi CooKieS.
I'm studying your tank again!
Please can you explain your Lily Pipe Outlet setup? It looks like a combination of steel pipe to glass Lily using clear pipe as a connector?
Which Lily Pipe is it for such a small tank?
Thank you!

Hello, I’m using 10mm stainless steel pipes from litiaquaria with an adapter for the inlet. :)

I've never had any issues spot dosing it to kill of staghorn and BBA, I like that as a short term fix to help get rid of stubborn spots, the issues for me came when I dosed it daily over a period of several months as a preventative measure.

I understand, well I like spotdosing the most too, but I never had issues dosing it daily for months (did it for maximum 4-5 months in ont of my previous setup I think) at double/triple dose or so…so I’m quite curious if this is the cause of my buce sickness or not. In this tank I dosed 2ml daily for let’s say 2 months…stopped it since 2 weeks now, no evolution yet but it will definitely takes some weeks to evolve as buce are such slow growers and takes longer to adapt to new environment. :)

Hi all,

<"High flow"> definitely doesn't deter BBA (Audouinella sp.). I only tend to get it in areas <"where the snails can't graze">.

View attachment 205290

cheers Darrel

Unfortunately I don’t have the same experience with it, and no livestock has made any changes on it (maybe young SAE, but they definitely grow to big and likes to munch on mosses and Delicate plants too…so i don’t rely on livestock to cure algae issues :))

Fantastic scape and great read too.
Thanks a lot :)

Back