• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1000+

Here is what I was thinking so far:
51be6a54ce267d9d3cf2d38d0d2dbaa3.jpg

The two main questions I've are about the spacing of the baffles. And is it possible to calculate the amount of water coming from the main tank when the return pumps stop? Because I do need to make sure it fits in the sump as well!

Just out of curiosity but do you fill the tanks up to the brim when you have fish or shrimp jumping? I fill them just 2-3cm below and never had anything jump out in years and years. I do remember fish jumping out when I was a kid but I kept them with no filter then. That was 25+ years ago.
It came across in another thread and I put up an opinion that seemed to sound cocky because the only fish or shrimp that ever jumped out for me was from a net or from a plastic cup I use to catch them with to move them to another tank, and they automatically try to escape. Other than that never. I probably never kept any species of fish that tend to jump maybe.

I think jumping depends on the species but I've lost (and saved a few) Amano shrimp, Odessa barbs and Vietnamese minnows. Even with a glass cover, fish can jump through the gaps, especially when excited by feeding or spooked by sudden movement or even other fish bullying them. I think Amano's open top tank trend is a curse in this respect and even if you drop the level by 3-4 cm, this is no barrier to a fast swimming fish...

I think jumping depends on the species but I've lost (and saved a few) Amano shrimp, Odessa barbs and Vietnamese minnows. Even with a glass cover, fish can jump through the gaps, especially when excited by feeding or spooked by sudden movement or even other fish bullying them. I think Amano's open top tank trend is a curse in this respect and even if you drop the level by 3-4 cm, this is no barrier to a fast swimming fish...
Absolutely agree... Open tanks are a risk in that sense. Some weeks ago I found an endler on the floor which has been happily leaving in the tank (low tech, some floating plants) for more than a year. No more males on the tank, just females, no special or new water conditions, hardscape changes, etc. so why? Who knows... It also happens to me with minnows, every two months more or less I find a jumper on the floor, in most cases the dominant male (best colored fish) probably the ones with more energy...
At the end having open tanks increase the probability of losing fish.

Jordi

Well, I ordered the tank and frame and am glueing baffles in the sump. It's really going to happen!!:)

Been thinking about the scape for months now. Here is an idea:
bcTfbIJ.jpg

But another one is to go for a way more biotope style scape. Something like the lower photo in this picture:
10900107_1558639200942818_4882861253244481604_o.jpg

Either way, I've a few more weeks to decide till the tank is build!

The frame is being build. I already started to make some layouts with the stones I bought:
0e7cd9b5fc3bc5803fe05385b528f960.jpg

5906fccaf30600423ae6ff80f052bd68.jpg

Front and left side will be sand, the rest will be aquasoil. Some large pièces of wood with ferns in the middle and various stems in the back. #gettingreallyexcited

I love the big stone, who sees the same as I do?
460bfdd71fff9730b8164e83d28c684f.jpg

Hiya.

As your tank is very large, i think you need a very large rock feature. I'd try staking some, see how they fit together. Low rocks will get covered over in no time.

Hiya.

As your tank is very large, i think you need a very large rock feature. I'd try staking some, see how they fit together. Low rocks will get covered over in no time.
Umzz... Maybe, but in front of the stones there will only be sand (or maybe in the beginning HC), so I don't think they will be covered very fast.

Back