• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10x per or post media

Please review post #2 by foxfish. The 10X rule already takes into account the problems associated with filter ratings and flow reduction due to media. You don't need to make any other calculations and you don't need to buy filters that are too cumbersome to fit in your cabinet. Find the volume of your tank and multiply by 10, then buy any filter with a manufacturer's rating approximately equal to the result of your multiplication.

Cheers,

Uhh ohhh I haven't set my tank up yet but I have 2 x All Pond Solution 2000 L/H filters for my 200L tank.... Didn't realise it was 10x manufacturer rating :eek:

Well, if you find that the flow is too strong, and if you are hooking them up each to their own spraybar, then you can enlarge the holes in the spraybars to reduce the velocity of the jets. Anyway, if you stuff them to the brim with filter media then that will also reduce the throughput. 20X flow is not a bad problem to have. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers,

I think general rule of thumb after doing reading is 10x minimum. I don't think 20x will do any damage and if the flow is way too strong for the plants the APS filters can be fine tuned by using the lever to reduce flow.

I'm sure someone more experienced will comment, but the more flow the better and making sure you position the spray bars so distribution is good with no dead spots is the target.

I just had this horrible image of my tank looking like a whirlpool lol.

With the 2 filters I have I think I can cover most of the length of the tank with the spray bars.... Just not sure if I should have the inlet's and outlet's on opposite sides.

Outlets on the same side as the spraybar so that it creates circular flow - across the top, down the wall and then returns along the bottom.

Thank you for confirming that.... this tank will get finished when I get another heater, the rest of the CO2 stuff and an RO filter lol:(

Thank you for confirming that.... this tank will get finished when I get another heater, the rest of the CO2 stuff and an RO filter lol:(
RO ? Why, this only makes things harder.

As a a beginner (i assume ?) who hasn't even got his tank set up, why make things harder, more difficult, more time consuming, more expensive and wasting water (for every 1litre RO you get say 5 litres waste) ?

Try at first to work with the water you have, a lot easier. Just add dechlorinator, bung in tank, job done.

As for flow I have a JBL e1500 (1500 litres/hour) on a 180litre tank and until the plants bedded in I had real issues with it washing away the substrate & plants. Luckily it had a flow valve so could reduce the flow. Now plants are bedded in, filter is dirty and have extended the spray I no longer suffer washed away plants & substrate.

Because my water isn't very nice TDS normally comes out about 400-440 and don't even get my started on the terrible amount of lime scale deposits that get left everywhere!

Here is an image of a filter I had in a tank for a week.....

20121127150423.jpg

I have 22 Clarke hardness and conductivity of over 500 (nitrate 30ppm) as my water comes from Twyford down (chalk) and yes do get scale problems in my tank, but not an issue, just ignore it. Fish and plants don't mind.

Mines harder than yours...:yuck:

Extra calcium for plants. Reflectors eventully scale up due to splashes, but easily sorted with kitchen descaler.

I should also add I won't be using pure RO water it'll be a mix of tap and RO but I don't want to keep having to goto the fish store to buy RO water lol :p

Back