• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 gallon 450 litre - Quick pic update page 9

Re: 120 gallon 450l vision update with pics

Have just had a look at your journal and see what you mean. I'd like to try sonething similar to your tree style with this tank. Or just the planted side Like your earlier ones. Can't make my mind up. I'll be sad to see the big piece of wood go when it does as it's a really nice piece to see in person. I should have stood it up on it's roots really so it appears to be a tree submerged but hey

Tank looks very nice, I reckon the ludwigia repens rubin in time will contrast fantastically with the green of the other plants.

Matty1983 said:
Nice tank mate, looks lush and green and I bet the fish love it!

Cheers matey. Yeah they do much more now it's grown in, the cardinals just spend all day nipping in and out of the ocelots at the back with the ember tetras chasing. Funnily enough it's my Chocolate gouramis that spend all day out in the open. I'd have thought would have been the other way.

Jim said:
Tank looks very nice, I reckon the ludwigia repens rubin in time will contrast fantastically with the green of the other plants.

Hey jim, thanks mate. I really like the ludwigia now it's getting it's colours. It goes through stages of going really deep red then a lighter shade then deep again. Have just trimmed it and planted the cuttings at the back so fingers crossed they'll be popping up next week I reckon if not sooner.

plantbrain said:
Serious light there!
:? Oops! I know, and though that when I was offered the halide unit but couldn't resist. I've actually moved the unit higher up now and reduced the halide burst to just 3 hours too. So far so good. Ive found growth to be awesome with the halides to be honest, and the tank has a whole different look to it when they're on. Not cheap on the electric bill though I've noticed.

plantbrain said:
Serious light there!

Infact tom, speaking of the wood man, I'm going to be pulling out the big lump of wood from out of it shortly, out of all the wood you may have, is there a piece/pieces you personally think would suit this tank?

looks stunning mate, i bet people go straight over to the tank when they go into the room.

Do you use RO water in there with those Choc Gouramis? I saw some of these the other week, was really tempted until i read about them. They appear to be more sensitive than Discus!

ianho said:
looks stunning mate, i bet people go straight over to the tank when they go into the room.

Do you use RO water in there with those Choc Gouramis? I saw some of these the other week, was really tempted until i read about them. They appear to be more sensitive than Discus!

Hey mate. Thanks I'm glad you think it looks so nice. I'm still unsure at the moment. Just planning in what to do for a rescape. Its missing something!! Can't think what though.

Regarding the chocolate gouramis, just plain old tap water from the tap using a hose, I know they are supposed to be really sensitive, but so far I've never had any problems. I'm due to pick up another ten next week. Saying that, my water is very soft, and they need soft water I believe. I've seen them in other people's tanks and they seem very light in comparison. Mine are lovely and deep brown and their behaviour is brilliant. They just look like they glide through the water too as their find are transparent.
If your in a hard water area then I think you have to use ro water. I'm not too sure. I know a1matt kept these successfully.

Yes amte the tank looks really good. It's hard to get the right sense of depth in a tank like this and you nailed it.

I use RO water, and the plan was to add some of these. I might just need to re-think my plans. Have you got loads of flow in there?

Thanks mate. It's pretty difficult to plant and everything not look so squashes as the bowfront is quite deceiving. I just need to pull out the wood and can't bring myself to do it. I like the shape of the bowfronts but a bugger to try and get an arrangement of plants. Aquajardin had a lovely planted bowfront but can't find the pics of when it was Massively planted.

If you use ro water mate you should be fine in that sense. It's just a case of adding back the magnesium etc isn't it? I just pop 9 tsps of magnesium a week and one tsp of calcium nitrate and it doesn't affect them at all. I've never even tested my water to know the hardness etc. They're very happy and Great little characters.
As with a lot of fish, like discus, it's not always the case of them being super sensitive. I know people who keep discus in much cooler temperatures with no problems. And as for water quality, I can't remember who it was I was talking to not long ago, but they'd been on a trip, and had gone on a boat up where duscus are found, and apparently the water was full of allsorts if crap, and oils etc and the discus they saw didn't seem bothered. Whether that's true or not I dont know. I think you'd be fine with choco's just acclimatise them a lot longer. I do and never lost any

Yep lol.
Right where to start, I decided that i was keeping my larrvlee piece of wood, I couldn't bring myself to get rid. Plus it wasn't cheap. So, I thought rather than have it hidden away, I'll make it the focus of the tank, with plants around it.
Out it all came with the help of Matt aka cichlidfam, as it's s bloody hefty weight of tree and I was pretty ill at the time.

Ran Into a problem in that the wood had swollen over the 6 months in the tank, so two piece needed chopping off to get it upright in the tank. And it would only fit dead centre so the idea of slightly off to the right went.
So chopping done, in went the wood again but upright do it looks like a rooted tree submerged.
Then in went the echinodorous plants around the tree and the blyxa that grows like a weed (cheers Westy) lol.
I only have the left side planted almost as I want it to be, as the right side I have s problem taking the smaller wood out as my bristlenose will not budge no matter what I try. He's still stuck in if I pull it out and dont want to lose him so will wait till he's snacking on his cucumber one night and grab the wood.
I've also started using my DIY reactor which I'm having great success with. Bubble free water yippee.
Here's a pic of the left side of my tank, once the right side is done I'll take full shot but still need more plants yet.

6313063752_538ae1596b.jpg

Chocolate gouramis as usual coming out for a chance to have their picture taken lol
So if anyone's got any echinodorous species they don't want I'll gladly take off your hands lol. I have some more crypts coming courtesy again of Westy so should contrast a bit more hopefully. I feel it's missing something though and not sure. Any ideas?

Here's the reactor in action too. What a beast
6313090260_fcb8bc969a.jpg

Love that wood mate, would be good to see a full tank shot to get a better perspective though.

Ok ok here it is then lol. It still needs a good fair amount of planting to do, and not sure whether to pull the wood out on the right. Thoughts? Excuse the state of the right I've not concentrated on the bit yet

6313222386_701077ba1d_z.jpg

That looks great, but i would tend to agree with you Alastair, the far bit of wood isn't doing a lot for the scape (room for more plants!).

*thumbs up*

Looks really good mate. I love the piece of wood in the middle and the piece of wood to the right. Is that a snail you have at the bottom left? I love the tank it's a lovely size and I love the curved front of these tanks.

ianho said:
That looks great, but i would tend to agree with you Alastair, the far bit of wood isn't doing a lot for the scape (room for more plants!).

*thumbs up*

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm hoping it looks great, was unsure when I pulled it all out if I'd made the right decision but it's done now. And, guess what? Pulled the smaller wood out so can concentrate on getting the right side in check now. Have some star grass coming from Matty so that can go in there too
fish bait said:
Great tank keep it up it :thumbup:

Thanks mate. Will try to improve. Also am looking for a decent camera to improve pics and not use my iPhone.

Matty1983 said:
Looks really good mate. I love the piece of wood in the middle and the piece of wood to the right. Is that a snail you have at the bottom left? I love the tank it's a lovely size and I love the curved front of these tanks.

Cheers Matty, it's a big size tank and although it's bow fronted, it adds a different view than the norm. Not a fan of smaller bow fronts but 5ft is perfect. Only the one big piece of wood in now. Yeah that's one of a couple of snails I have. I've got 4 zebra nerite snails, and two orange looking ram shorn snails that I gathered snail in on plants or something. They look nice anyway with their bright orange shells.

Whoooo, looking good now mate, you feel somethings missing.........how about a bucket load of plants that you gave me hahaha.

My bylxia( if thats how you spell it) still isnt doing so good!! I dont think it likes the easycarb.

Matt

Ha ha yeah go on then lol. I've got a big gap where the wood was lol. You'll have to give the blyxa a little time mate you've just rescaped do it needs to adjust again. Your dosing enough ferts and the easy carbo shouldbt affect it at all. Give it another week and they'll be reet, plus you'll have your co2 set up then. Can bump your lighting up a bit too then now

Back