• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 gallon 450 litre - Quick pic update page 9

Re: 120 gallon 450 litre - Unexpected surprise!

Ahh cool, lol. thought it might have been a few flecks of the brown colombo. Just sent u a PM re that :)

Re: 120 gallon 450 litre - Unexpected surprise pg 6

have yet another surprise await me when i turned my lights earlier too, my E.Uraguayensis has been sending out a flower stem which ive kept under water to encourage new plantlets but was greeted with these this afternoon

6647702167_c9583d74f3_b.jpg
DSC00320 by Mr-T-, on Flickr

quite proud as shows my water must be tip top....if on;ly i could get rid of this annoying oil on top of the water

Re: 120 gallon 450 litre - Unexpected surprise pg 6 and pg 7

Looks very cool, were did you get the wood from, sorry if i missed it :rolleyes:

Nice pics Alastair, those are some nice flowers you have growing there. I know how you feel about the oily surface film. I've had it on the surface of my water for a few weeks now and some days it's there and some days it's not as bad. I find that if I have the windows open, it improves, so I'm thinking it could be something to do with the central heating, as it is a hot air system and it could be blowing crap around the room and then settling on the water. Iother than that's don't know as all plants are growing well.

mitchelllawson said:
Looks very cool, were did you get the wood from, sorry if i missed it :rolleyes:

Hi mate, I got it locally from a store called the abyss. It's massive when you see it in person and took two people to get it in the tank as it literally is a tree. Well the bottom half of one. I was originally going to take it out but when I switched it to the upright position it looked really natural.

malawistu said:
Really like this tank brilliant

Thanks matey :thumbup: I'm glad it's liked by a few

Matty1983 said:
Nice pics Alastair, those are some nice flowers you have growing there. I know how you feel about the oily surface film. I've had it on the surface of my water for a few weeks now and some days it's there and some days it's not as bad. I find that if I have the windows open, it improves, so I'm thinking it could be something to do with the central heating, as it is a hot air system and it could be blowing crap around the room and then settling on the water. Iother than that's don't know as all plants are growing well.

Hmmm it could be that then, I make sure I don't use any aerosols, plug ins etc so can't be that. When I blow it it opens, then instantly seals over again, yet if I put mu hand in the tank it seems to clear about a good ten centimetres. Even the filter breaking the surface I've tried to no avail.

foxfish said:
You could make a temporary DIY skimmer to remove the surface oil - just need a small powerhead in a plastic bottle with some floss above the pump & fix the device just under the surface.

Exactly my thoughts too mate but I would have complicated things in making one but that is what I'll try now if it's not gone by mid next week cheers mate

120 gallon 450 litre - Unexpected surprise pg 6 and pg 7

foxfish said:
Or you could go the Tom Barr route & buy a proper surface overflow then move over to a trickle filter & sump ;)

Not a bad idea bit far too complicated for me lol. Then theres the gas off from using a sump so more co2 needed etc. I have thought of sumping my tank many a time but may well leave that until I get another tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only just come across this journal - absolutely beautiful (and yay! to your new babies!). And you definitely did the right thing moving that beautiful piece of wood to an upright position. I think it really makes the tank and sets off the plants to perfection. :clap:

120 gallon 450 litre - Unexpected surprise pg 6 and pg 7

sarahtermite said:
Only just come across this journal - absolutely beautiful (and yay! to your new babies!). And you definitely did the right thing moving that beautiful piece of wood to an upright position. I think it really makes the tank and sets off the plants to perfection. :clap:

Aww gee thanks :0). Glad you think so. I feel the same about the wood, plant wise it's changed a bit so will put pics on tomorrow to show how it is currently growing in. Not everyone's cup o tea but I'm happy with it.
Babies are doing great and really is unreal seeing the tiny little things scouraging around for food. There not even phased by my face pressed to the glass ha ha. I've recently changed my halide unit and got some fantastic bulbs which make greens stand out and reds are really showing. Plus my tanks like lemonade from all the pearling.

Couple of piccies to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just took the time to look at your vision and all I can say is JEALOUS! I'm going to have to learn from you! Have you change dthe bulbs in your vision?

cheekycharly said:
Just took the time to look at your vision and all I can say is JEALOUS! I'm going to have to learn from you! Have you change dthe bulbs in your vision?

Hiya mate sorry I didn't realise you'd posted or I'd have replied. Thanks for the encouraging comments. It's slowly getting to where I want it now. I eventually changed from the standard 4 x 54w t5s and went to 2 x 150w halides.

sorry missed this Alastair, that pic of the flower is great!

looking great mate.

Well here's s quick update as I said I'd upload a couple of pics of how it's looking at the minute.
I've had trouble with trying to get flow spot on with it being such a big tank plus the bowed front makes it even harder, especially if using the twin spray bars. Also the tree trunk has made it difficult as it likes to interrupt the flow.

Here's how it looks as of today. Have plsnted some glosso a week or two ago and growth is mental, as is all of the plants really.

6767226907_285f444bc5_b.jpg
[/url]

6767232913_287cb70eac_b.jpg
[/url]

6767229789_d4b7ab0ac4_b.jpg
[/url]

I'm really happy it looks as it does as I'm just leaving it to do its thing now and the fish seem to love the chaotic look. Also my Xmas moss (I think) along with the pellia on the wood are really going great now. I've had the panda babies do really well too since they popped up.
Have also got some lovely plants coming from luis to add to my echinodorus collection. Just a Shame that I have to strip it down in 4 weeks to move. Hopefully it will just be a days work pulling it down and setting up again as only moving a couple of streets away.
I've also got a vortech mp10 which I'll have in a couple of weeks which will help immensely with a nice gentle pulse flow occasionally.
Sorry for the pic quality I'd just snapped with my iPhone.

Cheers everyone

Love the tank :clap:

I was going to put up some Vision 450 pics but I may have to wait now you have put these up! ;)

Andy

Looks cracking buddy, you certainly found how to use the bow front better than i ever did!! Square is the future :)

Bet youve got some plans for a bit of a rescape with the move though mate?

Jealous of the MP10, been looking at them for my marine... just cant quite justify until i upgrade that too. It never ends!! Grass is always greener........

Anyway buddy you should be very pround of the beautiful tank you have created!!

Back