• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - Colours

Why are there what seems to be fans?

They're for cooling. I live in the tropics - Malaysia - the temperature is usually 30 - 34'C in the daytime. The fans help keep the water temps at around 28'C. It's not ideal for plants, as 26'C would be better. The only alternative would be to use a chiller, which I already have on a 60L I own and my wife won't let me have another.

I do need to modify the fans a bit. It's shadowing the area underneath it, which is where the Myriophyllum matogrossense is.

I'm also really tempted to remove all the rocks so I have more place for plants! I have a few crypts and mid-ground plants in mind, like Staurogyne sp and Pogostemon helferi. What do you guy think? I'll tie all the Anubias to the driftwood instead.

I like the rock

Thanks Ali, I'll keep the rocks for now.

Broke out the camera for some shots tonight. Here's the FTS
9729131987_832925b4d5_o.jpg

First up, it looks like my emersed plant identification is crap. What I thought was Rotala rotundifolia red is probably some sorta Ludwigia, maybe Ludwigia brevipes. And what I thought was Myriophyllum matogrossensse is... I don't know yet.

Tonina fluviatilis is growing well, doubled in height in about 2 weeks.
9729133821_4803f8d2bb_o.jpg

The plant I thought was Myriophyllum is the fastest of all, tripling its height in 2 weeks. Gonna trim it this weekend. The pinkish stem on the left is Rotala wallichii.
9732359128_5447dc4046_o.jpg

Limnophila aromatica is also growing slowly, but submersed growth is fully green in colour. Am hoping it'll turn red as it nears the lights.
9729133601_f5ab1b67a0_o.jpg

A shot of cardinals schooling. With a neon tetra behind pretending to be a cardinal LOL
9732357528_839e0ff3b1_o.jpg

And a bunch of shots of my friend's black neon tetras. I never really found these appealing enough to buy, but these have really changed my mind! Prepare for pic overload!
9732358750_27cb91bc1e_o.jpg

9732358506_4f681d980e_o.jpg

9732357660_7d1150f213_o.jpg

9732357498_4b6f694512_o.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

Stunning looking aquascape flygja!
Great photograhs also.
When the grass grows in it will soften the rocks nicely, i like them too :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Stunning looking aquascape flygja! Great photograhs also. When the grass grows in it will soften the rocks nicely, i like them too
Thanks Ady! No doubt the rocks look okay, I just wanted space for more mid-ground plants! Collectoritis!

Your Tonina doesn't look like fluviatilis to me, more like Tonina sp Manaus or T. sp Belem (renamed nowadays to Syngonanthus spp)
Geez you're right! I always thought Tonina fluviatilis was the one with fine leaves while Tonina sp. Belem is the one with triangular shorter leaves. So confident was I that I didn't even check online before typing it in! :oops:I've corrected my posts to read Tonina / Syngonanthus sp Belem now. Thanks!

Just an unrelated question: not sure where in Malaysia you are but aren't you interested to make a beautifull malaysian biotope with fish and plants you collected yourself?
Maybe it's a stupid proposition because you live in the middle of a big city, but me being a biotope nut, i would try to go for that. (not want to disrespect your choice in anyway btw).

It's been a while since I've updated. Quite a bit has changed. On the equipment side of things, its now running 2x Eheim Pro3 2080s with their included intakes and goosenecks. I have also increased the lighting from 10x 10W Cree XML LEDs to 20x 10W Cree XML LEDs. Mainly for better spread of lighting though, I don't run them at full power unless I wanna take pictures or when visitors come over.

Plants have changed quite a bit. I've been pulling stuff out that have failed and replacing them. Rotala macranda, Mayaca fluviatilis, Rotala rotundifolia, Barclaya longifolia red have all but failed as I keep trying to find the balance between light and algae. About the only plant that is really successful are the ferns and the Tonina. Even hairgrass refuses to spread. I've got Ludwigia palustris, Proserpinaca palustris, Hygrophilla sp Araguaia and Rotala nanjean (I think) as new additions.

Here's what it looks like.
DSC09216_zps67e5b2e1.jpg

In terms of algae, here's what I've been battling. GSA on Anubias coffeefolia and barteri nana. I've sub-divided my ferns to try and shade them.
DSC09220_zps7450d977.jpg

Slight bit of BGA on the front glass and lots of BBA everywhere. I've been treating BBA with spot-dosed Excel and it seems to have slowed down a bit.
DSC09227_zpsb9a6d932.jpg

Pathetic condition of Lobelia cardinalis. It was growing fine for a while, then became very stunted.
DSC09219_zpsdc608527.jpg

Any tips on algae? I've adjusted my lighting to generate about 50-60 PAR on the substrate. In mid-water where the stems are its around 80-100. CO2 is running at uncountable bps through an inline UpAqua diffuser (the Y-shaped one) on the outlet of one of the 2080s. Outlets are places on the right facing the left. There is flow and tiny CO2 bubbles pretty much everywhere. I've also started injecting air at night through an airstone, as you can see in the FTS.

Just an unrelated question: not sure where in Malaysia you are but aren't you interested to make a beautifull malaysian biotope with fish and plants you collected yourself? Maybe it's a stupid proposition because you live in the middle of a big city, but me being a biotope nut, i would try to go for that. (not want to disrespect your choice in anyway btw).

That's a great suggestion! I'm not really into biotopes but might give it a try one day. I haven't seen much indigenous plants in rivers except for Egeria densa, which seems to be everywhere. Malaysia's supposed to have a lot of Crypts and Buceps but those are mostly on the island of Borneo. What I would really love is to collect some wild fish like bettas!

Thanks Thomas. The LEDs do give that sorta shimmer effect if there's surface movement. I am running CO2. The video was shot after the CO2 has switched off and the air pump switched on.

Two nights ago I captured this - looks like Congo Tetras spawning after their regular feeding time. Apologies for the camera shake and darkness of the video. Didn't want to turn up the lights or set up a tripod and scare the fish. Shot with the 100mm macro I had on my camera at the time, so depth of field is also limited.

Thanks Thomas. The LEDs do give that sorta shimmer effect if there's surface movement. I am running CO2. The video was shot after the CO2 has switched off and the air pump switched on.

Sorry for asking but why are you using an air pump after CO2? Trying to give a better life for your fish?

Hi,
You seem to have quite a lot of light now, to battle the algae id always suggest reducing lighting intensity and increasing water change frequency for a while.
oh, i also think that is dominance sparring between male congo tetras rather than spawning, impressive to watch none the less :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back