• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - Colours

A chiller definitely helps but like you said, electricity costs and the heat it generates in the house prohibits the use of it. I have a chiller on a 60L tank and its set to 28'C which is acceptable to my wife.

Over the weekend I re-scaped this tank so this aquascape is no more. I guess I've never been quite happy with it. I designed it with the idea that I'd have loads of brightly coloured stems. In the 16 months that its been going, I've completely failed to achieve this. The only stem that grew well is Hygrophilla polysperma sp "Rosanervig". The others either started well and then failed after trimming, or didn't do well from the start. I think its more than just CO2 or circulation related, but I never quite figured it out. 14x flow, LEDs and T5s, CO2 diffused through reactor or inline diffuser, ADA Aquasoil, EI... I would like to think I have all the ingredients in the recipe but I just didn't have the instructions to put it together.

This is roughly what it looked like before it was re-done.
15795487997_28e999e247_b.jpgIMG_20141122_103540 by flygja, on Flickr

Last month, I borrowed a friend's action camera - an HDCAM SJ4000 wifi - which is a GoPro clone. It costs about a quarter of the price of a GoPro. I took it home, checked it make sure its watertight, then proceeded to dump it into the tank :D The rock was used to hold it down as it was a bit buoyant.
15979223991_fb797f1118_b.jpgIMG_20141113_212728 by flygja, on Flickr

Here's a feeding time video. My fish are being fed frozen bloodworms. I only edited the video length and added music, no other effects.

Thanks everyone who commented, liked and helped out along the way. On to something different!

I enjoyed your journal - sorry it didn't work out as well as you wanted. I would have loved to see if you could figure out that algae problem and crack it on the head.
Nice looking scape, even so :)

GoPro discus action ;]
Not really GoPro, but good enough. I made a mistake, its SJCAM, not HDCAM. There's a good video review below (maybe some of you might recognise the shopping mall). He also has a comparison to GoPro Hero, check his Youtube listings.

I enjoyed your journal - sorry it didn't work out as well as you wanted. I would have loved to see if you could figure out that algae problem and crack it on the head.
Nice looking scape, even so :)
Thanks a lot for the compliments. I think I was on the right path to cracking the algae problem. I had to clean BBA every 2-3 weeks until I got myself an army of 8 SAEs. The BBA disappeared and I didn't have to clean BBA for a few months. Also changed the direction of my filter outflows a bit and it seemed to work as well. I was just sad that I couldn't grow the stems that I wanted.

Back