120cm Nature Aquarium

ChrisD80

Think I have at least partly answered my own question.

I notice now that the moss towards the ends of two of the branches where I had a week ago liberally painted neat Excel and Hydrogen peroxide on to the bare wood when water level was lowered are pretty much completely dead! Brown and lifeless. At least one of these branches had very healthy moss before. So I can only assume that the liquid had seeped along the branch into the moss and killed it off. The BBA on the bare wood of these branches and the rocks has been killed, which was the objective of the treatment, but I will be much more careful if I do this again I’m the future.

Perhaps a diluted light misting of Excel/hydrogen peroxide would be ok, but I am cautious now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisD80

And some other update to note:
  • Moss covered lava stones and Anubias / Bucephalandra distributed around the scape
  • new Bolbitis Heudloti added, mainly the emersed grown leaves on display but a few submerged leaves have started to develop
  • Small Cryptocoryne balansae added from old aquarium
  • Left hand inlet is in rear corner and left hand outlet in front corner, but had some problems with the right hand inlet being separated from the right hand outlet as the skimmer was getting overwhelmed by floating plants and a film was developing on the surface so for now they are back next to each other about half way back. Will play further with this to see what works best
  • Bought some La Plata sand and mixed with the original Colorado Sand to lighten up the substrate
  • Started using the rear light again (TMC Aquaray Grobeam) just set at 30% for now and matching the photoperiod of the Fluval 3.0.
  • Upped TNC Complete from 10ml per day to 12ml per day

Last edited:

ChrisD80

Do my plants look like they are lacking sufficient fertiliser? I am not experienced to be able to read the signs but I can’t help feeling they are pale and not as vibrant and healthy as they should be. I currently dose 12ml TNC complete per day. Should I up this amount? What do others dose? 120cm x 53cm x 50cm volume
thanks
Chris
95FC3405-B11F-487B-8760-4EE3A6804033.jpeg

BA5F3C38-13D6-43FB-8CBA-F145E9605C3D.jpeg
ACF44CFE-131D-40B0-B2F6-55DE86EBCAF2.jpeg
54EBB3E2-ED68-40F0-99DA-2B894F4A58AA.jpeg

0FCDE2BA-9357-4260-834A-FD92B7C4B419.jpeg

ChrisD80

Thanks @Siege. Okay so my tank is approx 300litres so that would be 30ml per day. Way higher than what I am currently adding.

However I wouldn’t say it’s as heavily planted as other tanks I see on here a fair amount of real estate is sand and rock.
Perhaps I will go for something in the range 20-25ml and see how we go.

is it safe to double my dose tomorrow or should I work up to that amount with a little extra each day?

cheers
Chris

ChrisD80

For my records:
- TNC complete now being dosed 22ml per day
- Seachem Excel 5 mil per day, and 30ml after weekly water change (hoping to combat BBA)
- Rear Aquaray at 50%