• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

350 ltr tank growing in and up

st.john

This it my tank after 6 weeks of growing in. Bit of a diatom issue but that will go with time!
The silver tip testras may get rehomed due to their hollaganastic tendencies...
I popped two willow whips in there as I was suffering a mild green water issue. Cleared in 2 days. Very impressed with this method.

Attachments

• 1488405159926704723346.jpg
    1488405159926704723346.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 213
Do you use 100% osmos water ?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

0 osmosis water. Just treated tap water, and 20%water changes every 3 days for now. This will go down to 30-35% changes every week when diatoms have gone.

Loving the scape, the wood branches over the stone to the right could turn into something special :) Maybe attach some weeping moss to create a moss cave for your critters to swim through!

:clap:
thanks mate! there is some weeping and christmas moss attached actually - great minds and all that..

Why everyone doing ones a week water changing ? It is just because dosing EI ?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Why everyone doing ones a week water changing ? It is just because dosing EI ?
Weekly water changes achieve two things:

- Removes organic waste produced by the plants that in a high tech tank are produced by the plants in very high quantities. If left, this organic waste will build up and rot, and form perfect algae food as well as not being very healthy for fish.
- Resets the EI fertiliser levels, by removing any unused ferts. By doing this, even if by magic the plants consumed none of your EI dose the EI levels will never go above 2 x EI level. If water change is not done the fertiliser levels will continually rise, not good for plants and fish, though levels would have to get in 100's ppm before you might notice any issues.

Of course if you are not high tech, the lower levels of organics produced will naturally rot, producing further plant food and plants consume the fertiliser thus left over fertiliser levels never rise.

Back