3D Printed Sculpture, Planting suggestions / ideas needed

lensworx

Hi everyone

I am in the process of rescaping what will end up as a 100g low tech community tank.
Wanted to do something a little different I have 3D Printed what I want to be the main centre point but now second guessing what to do with it.

The original plan was to attach java moss to it as well as a small section of possibly java fern. I am now wondering if the moss will end up covering up all the holes.
The entire structure is just over a 1ft high so plenty of space.
IMG_20200726_175639.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas would be great

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome, that looks like PLA right?

The original plan was to attach java moss to it as well as a small section of possibly java fern. I am now wondering if the moss will end up covering up all the holes.
Stick the moss on the inside rather than the outside and let it grow out, will create a much better effect ;)

lensworx

Awesome, that looks like PLA right?

Stick the moss on the inside rather than the outside and let it grow out, will create a much better effect ;)
Thanks, yes it is PLA.

I did think about putting some on the inside but did not think there would be enough light, I will give that a try.

Thanks for the tip

lensworx

PLA after a while will go soft and crumble, would be best to print it using PETG. someone mentioned in the forum about PLA and I tested it and its not a good material to keep it under water.
Thats interesting, I did have resovations about pla and have read conflicting reviews about this.
I guess its back to the drawing board and will get a roll of PETG ordered to reprint this in.

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Thats interesting, I did have resovations about pla and have read conflicting reviews about this.
I guess its back to the drawing board and will get a roll of PETG ordered to reprint this in.
Can always go with it and see how it behaves ;) then you will know for sure. I printed a Eheim Skimmer head using PLA and so far so good (3 weeks), lets see how long that lasts!