• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

400 gallon.

That's just plain bonkerso_O ...surely it'd be easier to grow longer arms...:drowning:
152213992.y6Hh0f5g.jpg

I see no good reason to ever add CO2 24/7. ADA and myself are in agreement about a number of things, this is one of them. Amano says it is "taboo"(his words, not mine).
Read this and don't want to contaminate his journal.
I need to keep it on for 24/7 otherwise i wont get enough CO2 in the water. I loose a lot through my biofilter, my fish never show any discomfort, so i don't feel it hurts the inhabitants. I can't seem to get enough in the water if i shut it at night. Even my homemade reactor can't seem to get enough dispersed, went back to the Dennerle Cyclo Turbo wich seems to perform better. I really don't want to run a second system just to be able to shut of in the night.
Ultimately it could come to me disassembling a large part of my bio filter in order to try to save some extra CO2, but it's not something i would do easily. Right now i only run it slowly.
Super diffusors for 400 gallon tanks anyone?

The easy way would be via a needle wheel return pump or a UP placed in front of your present return pump.
A 20'' version of my reactor would probably work too.
I believe that Tom actually pumps his C02 directly into his return pump & no longer uses a needle wheel, I used to pump straight into the pump too but found the bubbles a bit to big for my liking. I have tried needle wheels many times & although they work I prefer the reactor route now.

For many years I use a two litre bottle attached to the inlet of my Ehime 1060 sump pump with a diffuser fitted inside the bottle. This worked on a 5x2x2 tank but I think you would need two large return pumps on your tank!

However if you tank seems to be working with 24 7 then I guess that is fine!

Sorry i don't know the concept of a needle punp, or what you meant with UP. I use a pondpump to get water from my last sump into the tank, it's rated for 2500lit at my hight but i use a valve to regulate it. I could put a co2 hose at the waterintake, not sure that would work better.
I did google needlepump, but never heard of one or seen one here in the Netherlands.

I did google needlepump, but never heard of one or seen one here in the Netherlands.
Search for "eheim needle wheel pump". Search images to see when the impeller looks like as well.

No not at all, needle wheel pumps are primarily designed to work protein skimmers on reef tanks but as you have probably gathered it is quite easy to modify a pump impeller, there are plenty models available. As Ian points out Eheim make them too...
however I would suggest you simply try feed the C02 directly into the pump first as some pumps will give good results straight out the box.
UP is a brand name for a ceramic diffuser, they offer inline models but they would not be suitable to use as the pipe fittings are only 16mm.
UP do make a simple ceramic diffuser though that could be placed in front of your pump, this would produce a very fine mist in your tank, the mist is said to be the most effective way for plants to absorb the gas.
The main down side of the UP diffusers is the high working pressure required, you need around 3 -3.5 bar from you regulator to get them really fizzing!

Split the 32mm pipe (800mm2) into say 25mm loop (490mm2) and 16mm loop (200mm2) and put the 16/22 diffuser on the 16mm loop. Pipe cross sectional areas are similar, so should affect flow too greatly.

152356533.Kci1HTRF.jpg

I see growth:) . Started on larger doses ferts and trace elements. Al plants seem to be doing wel, only Tonina and its Manaus cousin arent. The Mayacca is getting some whitish tops, which usually means shortage in iron, so i've given some extra trace elements to see if i can get them greener. Only some small spots of blue algae, but i probably have to clean between the plants a bit better. I've changed the direction and duration of the circulation pumps. So now all the plants are "moving in the breeze". although some big ones are "whipping in the storm":cool: .
I finally made up my mind about how the final scape will be, now it's just waiting for the plants to get ready.

I've tried piping the CO2 in the main pump: lots of noise:( , so i will stay with my Dennerle setup for now.
152356570.j9z2zKOY.DSC_2118_copy.jpg

Stunning progress! Definitely one to watch.

What's your end game on this? Are you looking to stock discus in there again?

Nah not discus,i want to see if i can go for an biotope setting, just not sure yet which, either Peru (rio Uyacalli tributairy), Venezuela ( Orinoco tributairy) or Matto grosso/Pantanal. Been scouring the internet for 6 months trying to make up my mind. I need a focalpoint fish (aka a fish i find interesting and beautifull), suiting plants, good descriptions of fish in that same habitat and preferably all in a clear water environment, It's harder to find then it sounds.
I would love altums again, but they can't be accompanied by small characins which i wan't too. Same with other cichlids, they have to be small enough. Most interesting fish come from habitats mostly without plants, but there are a few exceptions. I don't want a NA scaped tank, i want more biotope acurate, although i do know it's hard to find submerged plants sometimes.

Zugabe-Geräte
the cyclo turbo, have a small pump inside the tank attatched to it (i attached a filtersponge to it, to help clear the water.
But i bought an Eheim 3000 pump to make an diy diffusor, i cant get enough CO2 in the water at the moment.

Back