• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60 cm opti-white - Update

Re: 60 cm opti-white - 3 weeks

I think that, under the understanding from The CEG, is that light drives the plants demand for all other requirements. So if you can't meet the Co2 it demands turning down the light will reduce the amount of Co2 and ferts that the plants need.

So yes, if you have no Co2 turn your lights off or at least reduce the photoperiod.

Bobtastic said:
So yes, if you have no Co2 turn your lights off or at least reduce the photoperiod.
This is good advice Bob, and your understanding of the light is correct :D . However, I would turn the lights off altogether. Saves so much grief on the re-start :D
Mine were off for 6 days recently whilst awaiting spares from Aquamedic and plants were fine running on ambient light. They leant a bit towards the window but soon straightened themselves up once everything was up and running again :D

Many thanks! That was also what I suspected, but good to have it confirmed from you guys.:)

The new CO2 kit should arrive tomorrow. What's do you think is the best strategy now? Photoperiod and CO2 levels like before the "blackout" or a more soft start with shorter photoperiod? (the light was turned on for 7 hours before the CO2 accident)

shame about that reg mate, are they charging you??

I ordered a JBL regulator and 500 disposable CO2 bottle and it arrived today. But... It does'nt work!!!!
Both of the gauges shows the correct pressure, but nothing happens when I open the needle valve. I'm so irritated right now. :twisted:

Something is missing here, right?
DSCN3904.JPG

wtf is that?? haha

man thats bad luck :( did you buy on ebay ?

nayr88 said:
blimey is that?? haha

man thats bad luck :( did you buy on ebay ?

No, it's from a web-shop here in Denmark. But I'll recieve a new one tomorrow, fortunately.

More suggestions on fish are much appreciated. Going to buy them this week, probably.

CO2 is finally back and the plants don't seem to have suffered so much from the blackout. :thumbup:
I also purchased some fish today. I ended up with a shoal of rosy tetras, 5 otocinclus, 8 amanos and 1 Corydoras habrosus.

The cory should have been a oto, but it seems that the shopkeeper catched it by mistake. Can't blame him, they are rather similar in size, markings and color... I love corydoras so I think I'll buy a few more, even though I didn't had corys in mind for this tank. Habrosus grows only to about 3 cm, so I don't think they'll be able to mess around with the substrate.

The oto's and amanos started to do their thing instantly, so it seems like they acclimatized without problems.

As the layout well be rather dense planted when it grows in, I'm thinking of adding a shoal of another species later. Maybe something really small like B. maculatus... Do you guys have think I should add another species?

I also have acess to a Canon EOS 40 D, so hopefully I'll be able to take some good pictures now. :)

Re: 60 cm opti-white - 4 weeks

I'm trying out the new camera. Still much to learn...

IMG_9235.JPG

This was just a snapshot on auto...
IMG_9356.JPG

Do you guys have any advice on camera settings for full tank shots?
The camera is a Canon EOS 40D and the lens is a Canon EW-83F 24-70 mm 1:2.8.
I also have a Canon speedlite 580 EX external flash.
I don't have any tripod, but I'll buy one soon if I can't convince the camera owner (my brother :D ) that he needs a one. :lol:

Re: 60 cm opti-white - 4 weekns

nice shots mate ;)

how much did you pic the gear up for?

nice shots mate ;)

nayr88 said:
nice shots mate ;)

I don't know. It's my brothers camera I just borrow it.

Sorry for the ugly equipment...
IMG_9495.JPG

Trimmed the stems yesterday...

I thinking of making following changes in the layout;
Moving Micranthemum umbrosum growing in the right corner to the left middle of the tank.
Removing riccia and add some small seiryu stones instead.

What do you think of those changes?

As you can see is the water still tinted a bit. How long is it normal for aquasoil to color the water if you got hard water (20+ DH, KH around 15)?

I would appreciate if anyone could help with my question about Aquasoil.:)

stuworrall said:
are you sure its not the wood thats releasing tannins
It could be the wood, or a combination of both... But I've already used the large piece in a smaller tank and I don't remember it staining the water as much as in this tank...

Finally... The wood sinks.:)
PICT0049.JPG

Back