• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

70 Gallon Buce tank

plantbrain

Expert
Freshly planted with all Buce's:
Notes: I have had some Buce;s that have thrived in here regardless of the abuses and other things I've done, mostly due to a lot of Amano shrimp.

Few folks have done larger all Buce tanks, I've not seen any with rock like Iwagumi style displays, nor wood used in such a fashion, so it's a non typical style/scape.

Few water changes, very clear water, dosing roughly 1/3 EI, basically maybe 1-2x a week dosing and a little traces.
CO2 is pretty high, but the plant's demand is low also.
There is not heater in this tank.
I removed the lava rock faux ADA powersand, it did nothing and started to come up through the ADA after a year or so. Added some old ADA AS to replace the volume.
Bushy nose and Amano's right now.
Might add some CRS, but likely lower grades and after the plants grow in more. This will give the fry some place to hide. I have SS mesh over the overflow and will change the return pipe to a glass elbow I have in the works.
This tank is darker, but open and brightly lit. Adding a bright colored shrimp will look nice against the Buce's. Not sure if I'll add fish really.
No heater on the tank, runs about 75-77F in the summer, maybe 70-74F in the winter. My 60p ADA will also lack a heater.

Sideview70gal_zps55333961.jpg

Resizedtop70gal_zps3ab3b948.jpg

frontof70gal_zpsc3787e55.jpg

Sideview70gal_zps2e98de7d.jpg

Live the idea of this Tom, Buce's have a great variation of textures and colours.
It looks like they are planted though, I was under the impression that the rhizomes melt if planted?
The 3 varieties I have all tend to flower at the same time, that would be quite a sight in this one.

The price must have come down for you Tom or you just couldnt resist? :D

I keep a few varieties, but I find they do get green spot algae in a similar manner to Anubias.

Knowing how canny Tom is I'd guess that tank will be making it's money back every month in a little while. Really wish Buce's were more available and cheaper here. I think Tropica gave up on them, didn't they?

I anticipate extreme jealousy on my part once this tnak grows in!

I had no idea about Tropica and Bucephalandra. That is a shame. Any ideas?

I think Tomek "Vasteq" mentioned some time ago on one of the forums that he uses citric acid(?) to clean the Green spot algae off the leaves from time to time?

Anyway this tank will look amazing, it would be interesting to see how the plants grow and whether they experiance any issues.

Live the idea of this Tom, Buce's have a great variation of textures and colours.
It looks like they are planted though, I was under the impression that the rhizomes melt if planted?
The 3 varieties I have all tend to flower at the same time, that would be quite a sight in this one.

This is a myth, the rhizomes do not melt, they grow and root.

The price must have come down for you Tom or you just couldnt resist? :D

I keep a few varieties, but I find they do get green spot algae in a similar manner to Anubias.

This tank has had very high resistance to GSA and other slower growing algae species.
It was not cheap, but I had a lot of of them prior in emergent growth also.

But I like this group and for this tank and my own interest, this was a good choice.
This tank will really bloom and look very nice over the coming months/years.
It is a tank based on patience and high quality. A very low energy tank, but not as boring to me as the dwarf Belem hairgrass. I can pick and arrange things in this tank. More eclectic.

I do not: dose much, few water changes, little cleaning with the present algae crew, use less light etc.
I have a 120 Gal dutch tank if I feel the need to do a lot of gardening.
I can trim and pull production crops from this tank, whereas the hairgrass, well, not that much.

Nice textures mate, I agree with Tom, I have the best growth from bucephalandra that was planted in the substrate.

Well, taller plants will detract from the nice burl wood, so.....I did not want something too tall, the variety of Buce is among the smallest type, so they will make a nice carpet.
I have a few others in the rear and in the upper gallery, but I might go for 95% or more a single species.
Some of blue colors and the darker pretty shades are nice, so I hope to be able to use them effectively in scaping.

This is not about envy, it's about a plant that is slow growing like Anubias, which I've worked a whole lot over the years with already, darker colors, and a plant not aquascaped with much except with small to tiny tanks.
It's a slow growth tank, but still fun and a little bit modular, but with some constraints.

It really has done VERY well since I removed all the other stuff and went this direction.
I'm a bit amazed at how little algae and care it requires. But the CO2 is rocking good, light is at 50% for the peak, which is about 5% full light in a forest canopy. While this is high light for planted tanks, this species is exposed to this amount in nature. The CO2 adds to it, and the ferts are likely similar.

Hardly done much, plants have grown significantly, added some stumps from the White Anubias on one side, they should do very well in here also.
I wanted to use higher light if possible to see how well these species do and if they get attacked by GSA. So far, no. They could easily grow with 1/2 the light, but at a slower pace.

I might do that later, but for now, while the new growth comes in, I'm okay with this.

Buicetank_zpsae787dc3.jpg

Compare the 1st pic and this one above. A lot more growth than I thought.

I'm with foxfish
Try get these in the UK ha

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Back