• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hyoscine

I'm sitting around, waiting for the mailman. Hopefully, today I can get started on this little tank I've been thinking over for a few weeks. I've got room for something small on my bedside table, and I really like the idea of nano (pico?) aquarium with a couple of planted HOB filters. I've seen a few threads where people have done this, and the results can be pretty beautiful.

I've bought a Mini S, I've got some driftwood in the post. I'm hoping I can mix up a substrate somewhere near as nice as this one. I've also got a bunch or small terracotta pipes I've found on the beach at Walton. I was planning on putting a smaller one in the tank to serve as a shrimp house and something to contrast with the wood, but I can imagine an aquarium this small looking too busy very quickly. Especially with the HOBs. We'll see.

I'm actually having a hard time choosing filters. I think it'll end up being a couple of Eheim Liberty 130s, as that would nicely take up almost the entire back of the tank. It's a shame they don't have very large, uh, spout bits though. I really like the look of these AquaClear filters, but the cost of importing them is a bit much. I might just see how I get on with an air-powered breeder box thing.

For lighting, I'm thinking an Eheim PowerLED. I don't need much, but I suppose I need something I can have suspended fairly high above the tank. Mounting might be fiddly, but I'm sure I can cobble something together.

Plant-wise, who knows? I've got a couple of favourites from our other shrimp tank: Ludwigia palustris, dwarf sag, Marsilea hirsuta, Bacopa 'compact', willow moss, Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown'... The obligatory Marimo ball (I hear they're lucky, and I'm not past needing that). I'll see what I can fit around the driftwood. I'm looking forward to getting a little more adventurous with the HOBs though. I'm thinking marsh plants could work well, so maybe something carnivorous? I'm not sure I'm horticulturist enough to pull it off, but yeah... We'll see.

Last edited:
No post today. Urgh...

I've been thinking about the substrate in the HOBs. My first thought was a bit of actual filter media, topped off with some spare NutraSoil I've got kicking around. Could be be good. Or maybe the first time I turned the filters on, it all just spew out into the tank. I started thinking about sphagnum moss, which would probably be ideal if sporotrichosis wasn't a thing, and all this wasn't going to be two foot from my pillow. Hmm...

Maybe some of those baked clay pebbles you find in hydroponic set-ups would be a good fit?

I've got some wood! I think it's going to be a nice fit too...

iSgcUTB.jpg

Right, time to throw them in a bucket and forget about them for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Hi all
Maybe some of those baked clay pebbles you find in hydroponic set-ups would be a good fit?
I think they would be, the only downside is that they tend to float. If you have a reasonable amount you can soak them for a few days and then dispose of the "floaters", or you could put them in a mesh filter bag.

"Eheim Substrat Pro" sinks, but it a lot more expensive. Sintered glass rings are another option, or PPI10 sponge etc.

cheers Darrel

Back