• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A couple of CO2 system questions

chrisjj

Seedling
A couple of CO2 questions:

Full set up with ceamic diffuser bottom left under powerhead & spraybar.
Drop checker other side of tank reasonably high.
On 1.5 hours before lights, off 1hr before lights. Tiny bubbles everywhere whilst on.
186ltr (150 water)

1 - even at 5bps, the drop checker indicator barely changes from blue whilst CO2 is on. I can't count fast enough to increase the bps accuratley!!

2 - whilst it is off, the pressure reduces so the next day it drops from around 5bps, to around 3 (I then open the valve or play with the adjustable pressure to get it back to around 5bps. I can't find any leaks / poor seals.

Any tips?

a full list of hardware would help as well.

6kg co2 cylinder
UP adjustable pressure reg + solenoid on digital timer
co2 tubing
glass check valve
Fluval bubble counter
Gush glass diffuser
glass drop checker with bromo 4dkh water (from Aquaessential)

Hi Chris
You could probably benefit by using a UP in-line atomiser/diffuser in this size of aquarium.
Or you could set your Co2 to come on 2/3 hours before lights on.
Do you have a lot of turbulence on the surface?
hoggie

I've just got this for Xmas, so would like to try & get it sorted with what I've got, if you know what I mean!.

I did look at the inline diffusers, but opted againt as it reduced flow & wasn't keen on the "mist" look.

Surface turbulance has been reduced by lowering spraybar - surface ripples, but doesn't break.

There are some CO2 bubbles on the surface - guessing the ones that don't disolve.

I'll put CO2 on sooner.

Hi Chris,
Any chance of getting a photo of your setup? It would also be nice to know what filtration/pumps you are using.

Cheers,

I'll sort a recent pic, but one soon after set up is seen on thread - about 6 months ago:

37x 17 x 18 custom built.

spray bar now along back.

now has 2x tunze 6015 powerheads (1800lph each)

& more fish.

ditch the spray bar that will be creating to much surface movment look at a glass lillypipe type pipe or push the spray bar well below surface reducing surface movment that should help give you higher co2

also do you have any air pumps running

Cheers guys,

I'm playing around with spraybar position, diffuser options & increased bubble rate & I've noticed the dro-pchecker going green so I'm getting there with that one.

Anyone have any advice re question 2 - the reg pressure reducing over night?

Set up goes:

cylinder, reg & solenoid, 1m tube, valve, 1m tube, bubble counter, 50cm tube (into tank), diffuser.

Hi
I would put a check valve before your diffuser this will help stop back flow of working pressure.
Also your diffuser will fire up quicker.
What are your readings on the gauges?
hoggie

I can get another valve so will try that.

Not too knowledgable about regs & I can't quite remember the guage readings so will check tonight but the cylinder one doesn't move and currently at around 70?

The working pressure one I set at around 15psi, but it drops overnight to 5-10, then starts fluctuating up & down a bit when it comes on - does that make sense?

I'm using an inline Up atomiser (new style) and don't think it alters the flow very much at all as it's all straight bore through. My pressure is set to 2.5 bar off which drops to around 2.1 when it's on. I would also say that on my 190 litre I've only every used the bubble counter as a rough guide that I'm increasing or decreasing the amount of CO2 :) Spray bar certainly should be underneath the water as it'll take the CO2 bubbles and push them around rather than popping a load as they hit the surface.

Hi
The working pressure will go down slightly when not in use....then it will rise to push the Co2 through the diffuser.
Ive found that these ceramic diffusers need a bit of time to fire up if you have a working pressure of 1.5 bar.
Is your working pressure adjustable on the regulator?
Is this the reg :arrow: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Up-CO2-regula ... 35b1b3ec2d
hoggie

Also have you used PTFE (plumbers thread tape) on your threads i used this on every thread conection throw my whole systerm

Try this you may find it helps you can get the PTFE from most place only few quid

I'm not up to speed with the pressure things yet, but the set up is as follows:

Yes - it is that one! except it is the A164 model - the same but has a key rather than a knob to change the pressure.

The cylinder pressure is at 1000psi / 70 kg/cm3.

The working pressure I set at 15psi / 1kg/cm3 (is that the same as 1 bar?)

When off this reduces (over night) to around 0.5kg.cm3, but doesn't go back up when it goes back on.

I've got some PTFE so will try it.

Back