• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A new start - Chaos

Hi all,
I like these.Grindal worms are easy to culture and usually popular with small Anabantoids.

cheers Darrel

I'd need a starter culture; if I even knew where to look. Guess I'm in for some investigating.
I'll pick the low hanging fruit first, but yeah; some sort of ongoing culture would be right for this....

Oh, wait. Small relatives of earthworms... Wait a minute... Could they be found in, say, a compost heap :geek:?? I seem to remember having seen worms like that in compost heaps...

Hi all,
I'd need a starter culture; if I even knew where to look.
I'm not sure about in Denmark, there are plenty of sellers on Ebay in the UK.
Oh, wait. Small relatives of earthworms... Wait a minute... Could they be found in, say, a compost heap :geek:?? I seem to remember having seen worms like that in compost heaps...
Yes, they are found in compost heaps.

I've collected small white annelid worms from my compost heap, but they are juvenile Red worms rather than Enchytraeidae. The fish are keen on these as well.

cheers Darrel

Had one betta jump, found it dried up on the floor. :( Tried covering the tank with cling film, but condensate was dripping out; so had to remove it again.

Word has come down from High Command (Mrs. Fiske), exact quote: "Go ahead", no negotiations neccessary. Yup, I think flowers are appropriate.

I married the right woman:D

So I have a day off work monday that will include the following exhausting scenario:

Purchase 2 aquariums (a 25 l and a 45 l)
Purchase paraphernalia (heater, some sort of low yield and fairly silent pump/filter + some plants, substrate, and probably something else I've forgotten about now)
Dismantle 45P (current tank)
Catch livestock in current tank, transfer to 25 l
Try not to break down in a bawling heap
Setup 45L (new tank)
Rescape 45P; hoping I can leave some of it unscathed.
Transfer bettas to 45L
Hope there's any shrimp left for 45P
Break down in a bawling heap :bawling:

... sort the problem about the live food.

Jeez...
:eek:

So question time:

Lack of sleep and work, work, work has made me blasted outta my gourd, so I'd really appreciate any input on the following.

If I use water from the old tank + rainwater, + seed with gunk from current filter it should be fairly safe to transfer fish immediately, or what say you? My experience says yes, with the proper care and attention.
Substrate: Initially I was thinking a layer of peat and leaves for the bottom, I might still do that; can I plant eg. crypts in peat directly, or would I need something like dirt for the plants (I'd guess so, but never used peat before (never used dirt before either, and quite want to skip gravel here)? I have also been contemplating this , would that be a problem (ammonia leaching or sth.)?
I am hoping to prepare some rainwater with leaves I collected this autumn + alder cones (+peat, maybe). That should work well for topping up, right? Aiming for soft/acidic water here.
Most importantly: Have I missed something crucial?

These guys want to know:

A female(I think) B. coccina (the only female I have?):

She's out and about a fair bit, the one that is most easily spotted:

IMG_6671.JPG

The dominant male. His mission in life is making everyone else miserable. Here he's lurking, on the lookout for a victim, any victim:

IMG_6681.JPG

The not so dominant male (the largest, and most beautiful, but apparently a wiener) trying unsuccessfully to fend for himself (dominant male in top left corner):

IMG_6684.JPG

:eek::eek::eek:

2017-03-06%2016.32.43.jpg

It's half a scape!

Bettas are in temporary housing. They are handling it well so far, little buggers really liked a helping of daphnia today (should've bought extra). They disliked me stealing their woodwork, but it's all for their best interest. Threw a bunch of leaves in instead, and they seem popular.

2017-03-06%2016.32.35.jpg

So, having setup the Betta tank, I was going to put the Eheim canister back on this tank, and get it back into shape.... Aaaand broke the CO2 nozzle on my inline diffuser.

That settled the deal. I am going to redo this from the bottom up.
Anyway there was a number of things I wanted to change in this one, so it is all right.
Now it stands with shrimp, half a HC carpet, some crypts + araguaia, and a potted H. pinnatifida until I can sort it out.

Anyone nows how long 1-2-grow plants in sealed packages will last? Can I salvage a HC carpet?

"A New Start" has ended.

P1010025.jpg

Back