• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Activated Carbon and fertiliser?

No, activated carbon generally removes organics, not inorganic salts. Might affect the micro's though.

In general, in a planted tank, due to higher filter rate, activated carbon is not necessary. If you must polish the water a bag of Purigen is the way to go, and it can be recharged and reused.

Incidently I have seen (it was a well known respected brand and company) identical packaging of Aquarium Filter Carbon packaged as just that "filter carbon for crystal clear water removes impurities --etc next to same identical packaging and info(exactly same uses instruction etc)but product description Aquarium Activated Carbon.

Personally, for a planted tank I would just use Purigen if you wanted that extra bit of clarity and long-lasting clear looking water. I've never used Carbon and never plan too - I use Purigen. You'll be pleased with the results for sure!

Back