ADA Green Brighty Step 1; worth it?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Fert Dosing' started by NeilW, 7 Nov 2009.

1. NeilW

NeilW Member

Next week I was planning to flood my currently emmersed setup and was going to just use TPN+, but I saw Aqua Essentials had half price ADA gear and wondered wether Green Brighty Step 1 was a better option for the first couple of months?
    Thanks,
    Neil

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

ADA Step 1 is essentially just trace nutrients, so if you wanted to follow this way of thinking (starting with trace for first 3 months) then you could either go with Step 1 or something like Tropica TPN (not TPN+) or EI trace mix. Many would say you're fine to just use a full on fertiliser from the start, as long as you're keeping up with your maintenance.

I think one of the most important things is regular water changes in the first few weeks, and beyond. Some do daily, some do 3 a week but you have to do it pretty regular to avoid the dreaded algae monster and give everything a good chance of getting going :)

3. JamesM

JamesM Member

I'd skip the costs and go with dry powders from day 1.

4. NeilW

NeilW Member

Thanks for that, it was just an added 'luxury' I thought I may need whilst it was on the cheap. What sort of percentage of water should I go for taking out each time? 50% or would 30% be ok?

The cost isn't much as its only for a nano and I've already got the TPN+

5. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi NeilW

I would opt for at least 50% water change as a minimum, to get rid of as much ammonia producing stuff as you can or you'll be staring at a tank full of algae in no time ;) .

Chris

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

It's going to depend a lot on your setup, and whether you're starting from scratch, or with "live" filters from another setup. But yes, a 50% water change on a regular basis isn't a bad thing!

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

dont forget though....it's half price! it's better than full price eh? especially when ADA ferts are lean in there contents.

8. NeilW

NeilW Member

50% it is! I was going to use a filter from a previous setup and I've also been running the tank emmersed for about 4 weeks so the soil should be cycled as well. I am worried about any trace ammonia however as I've got CRS.

I've just taken advantage of the half price with a very nice ADA glass inlet, sadly they didn't have the outlet :(

9. Aqua Essentials

Aqua Essentials Sponsor Staff Member

I'd say go for it :D

10. NeilW

NeilW Member

Haha! ;)
    I did go for the tastier ADA lily pipe instead!