• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Admitting defeat

Aqua360

So recently I'd taken a stab at aquascaping my Trigon 350, and in my eyes; failed pretty miserably lol.

I'd went with a central display of manzanita, extending out to a gravel shoreline on sand. Unfortunately, due to the size of the tank itself; it's nigh on impossible to reach the back, and with a height of 24 inches, this problem is further compounded. There was also no co2, due to flow problems and the need for a large cylinder for this size of tank.

Having admitted defeat, and in the process of selling on the tank; I'm considering my options. I'm thinking either a much smaller corner tank (Aqua One ufo 550) which i've heard are between 78-100 litres, with wet/dry trickle filter in the hood. The hope would be that with smaller dimensions, I'd be able to reach all areas of the tank, and manage water changes effectively.

I'm also considering how a smaller aquascaping tank in the traditional rectangle shape would look, or if it would just be best calling quits on the corner idea.

If anyone else has tried this sort of approach or had these issues, I'd be very interested in finding out what options you went for :)

Same to hear, I'm also setting up a Trigon 350 at the moment. I haven't got round to aquascaping it get but am keeping a journal. I would be interesting in hearing what you've tried while aquascaping your 350.

Same to hear, I'm also setting up a Trigon 350 at the moment. I haven't got round to aquascaping it get but am keeping a journal. I would be interesting in hearing what you've tried while aquascaping your 350.

here are the pics of my best effort lol, it's arguably ok; but nowhere near the standards i've seen others set up on here. It can be done, as others have shown, but I need something I can fix quickly and easily; Trigon's are a lot of work.

Attachments

• trigon 1.jpg
    trigon 1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 206
I'm also considering how a smaller aquascaping tank in the traditional rectangle shape would look

I had my TMC Signature towards the corner of a room, looked fine, but it was not at an angle in the corner, it was flat against one wall. You could always drive up to Aberdeen, not that far from Paisley, it's for sale :)

corner tanks are designed ... well ... for corners
- they are not particularly well suited for fish as people (generally) take the volume into account more than the dimensions when stocking
- they are not particularly well suited for people re the awkwardness/inaccessibility you've experienced during maintenance
- they are not particularly well suited to aquascapes re the difficulties in lighting & flow & design

A rectangular tank that is 45 - 50 cm deep (wide) & whatever length suits the space & 35 - 40 cm height is usually much easier to access, you might consider a cube tank for the corner (2 equal viewing sides) or a more usual rectangular shape that is fitted diagonally across the corner (once the tank is grown in & established the empty space behind becomes much less noticeable as your eye is drawn to the color/movement)

When aquascaping this odd shape (re how the human eye perceives such things) don't put everything into that back corner, instead place stronger elements closer to the front areas of the tank & less dominating elements in the back.
Consider access into that back corner when designing & keep it simple enough to easily get your syphon tube into the area - nothing makes water changes simple like a Python style system
Have a sturdy stool to stand on for better access & a good set of aquascaping tools
Lighting also needs to take into consideration the height of the tank, HOT5 with well designed reflectors (still a challenge to light the back corner) or Kessil type LED ( Kessil A360W would light all areas of the tank sufficiently to "grow anything", the A160W would leave shaded areas)

That 60 x 45 x 45 TMC Signature mentioned above is a fantastic dimension for aquascaping :D

You will find it almost impossible to get any respectable level of CO2 in your water with this type of filter, which is why canister filters are recommended.

I tried in vain with a stock AR 850. Excellent for non planted community tank for ease of maintenance but I eventually swapped the filter out for a canister, I now have a 600x450mm rectangle which is diagonal in the corner of the room and although there's some dead space behind it I actually prefer it that way as opposed to flat to the wall.

You could persevere with the Trigon, I have seen some good setups but they're difficult to get light evenly spread and you may need to use Koralias to get good flow into the hard to reach areas.

You will find it almost impossible to get any respectable level of CO2 in your water with this type of filter, which is why canister filters are recommended.

I hadn't considered this, thanks! Very big factor for me

I had my TMC Signature towards the corner of a room, looked fine, but it was not at an angle in the corner, it was flat against one wall. You could always drive up to Aberdeen, not that far from Paisley, it's for sale :)

I'll need to check your sale thread lol

If the wet dry trickle filter isn't good co2 wise, I reckon I might go down the route of maybe the Dennerle scapers tank, and stick that in the corner facing out the way.

I don't think I'd be a fan of the cube in the corner, and after the hassle i had with larger external filters before, I would only really do that option smaller scale.

The feedback is superb, helping me a lot guys :thumbup:

I tried in vain with a stock AR 850. Excellent for non planted community tank for ease of maintenance but I eventually swapped the filter out for a canister, I now have a 600x450mm rectangle which is diagonal in the corner of the room and although there's some dead space behind it I actually prefer it that way as opposed to flat to the wall.

You could persevere with the Trigon, I have seen some good setups but they're difficult to get light evenly spread and you may need to use Koralias to get good flow into the hard to reach areas.

Do you have pictures of your set-up? :)

Hi the trigon is a beast or a tank - I dont blame you - Though would be a lovely cichlid tank ☺ just to add complication - have you considered the fluval range? They've a smaller 190l tank that comes with the 206 external filter - I'd have loved it but its hard to get not online & shipping is too dear for me from the mainland! Though if your in England it may not be as much of problem!

Though would be a lovely cichlid tank
It's not though as it's difficult to set up barriers/divisions to separate territories ... a 120cm rectangular tank works much better for most cichlid species :)
As flow is always a consideration in the Trigon, you need to add in external filters if you do create barriers or add in much hardscape

Trigons can be excellent tanks but they need careful planning :)

It's not though as it's difficult to set up barriers/divisions to separate territories ... a 120cm rectangular tank works much better for most cichlid species :)
As flow is always a consideration in the Trigon, you need to add in external filters if you do create barriers or add in much hardscape

Trigons can be excellent tanks but they need careful planning :)

Very True, that's why I would prefer Fluval - as they come with an external filter as standard (& the initial outlay is usually less for the same equivalent tank volume!).

I was possibly thinking more specifically of a species only pair of Jack Dempseys, as they're smaller at adult size than some S.American cichlids...nostalgia...I miss mine! And you can only have so many 120 cm tanks in your house!

My girlfriend absolutely loves the Trigon as well, but it's just too much tank for me haha; I think the thing that annoys me most, is not being able to reach the back; I like big tanks, but I don't want them to dwarf me if that makes sense? I still like feeling very in control of maintenance etc, and with the Trigon it can be a hassle, hence I tend to skimp cleaning etc when I shouldn't.

I think it's only really suitable for cichlids such as angels, discus, and maybe smaller such as keyholes; bigger SA and CA don't do very well in it, as the footprint really isn't the best for them.

Couple of people interested though, so we'll see what happens. Seen some superb marine set-ups at Maidenhead Aquatics today, I am sorely tempted; though I'd be penniless haha!

Back