• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amazon Sword flower Spike care

kharmael

Hi all

Long time lurker but first poster! I’ve been soaking up all the great advice and I’m grateful to all who volunteer their time and experience to help us all out!

I have a 550L with pressurised (extinguisher) CO2, dosing with tropica premium and running though a DIY drip filter and sump. Tank has been up for a couple of months in its current form.

One of my amazon swords has put out a flower spike which is producing blooms above the water line (and sadly drying out, probably because I don’t live in the Amazon! 😅) which you can see in the pic.

My question is how I can capitalise on this. If I prune the spike at a node will it split into two like a normal plant and what behaviour can I expect from the spike as the year goes on? Will it eventually dry out and die to come back next year?

Cheers all :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 497
The flowers only last about a day but new plants will grow from those spots just let it float over the water surface, don’t cut it off and the new plants can be removed once they have a decent amount of roots. The new plants detach easily if you leave them for long enough.

Back