• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 60L kitchen tank

Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

Just an update:

Wasn't happy with the Micranthemum Umbrosum, so that gone and replace with Rotala sp "green to compliment the Rotala rotundifolia already in there.

Taken a few pics, growth is coming along the HC is growing well, few bits of melt here and there. Checked a few reading the other night and ammonia under control the mature filter media and reg water changes has really helped control it.

web.jpg

The staurogoyne is still far to tall from when i purchased it, just giving a little while longer before pruning back to low level
web.jpg

My favourite angle to view the tank.
web.jpg

:thumbup: :thumbdown: :?:

brilliant andy. the planting in the first photo loks really natural with bits of each species slightly mixed in with each other. really liking the hydrocotle as well, gonna have to try this in the future

saintly said:
that look frickin ace :thumbup:

stuworrall said:
brilliant andy. the planting in the first photo loks really natural with bits of each species slightly mixed in with each other. really liking the hydrocotle as well, gonna have to try this in the future

Cheers guys means a lot! :oops: I have taken influence from both your work. :thumbup:

The hydrocotle is wicked, i first saw it in bones of the earth scape (thanks big G) and decided whatever scape i did next it had to be in it. :D

Really glad you noticed the mixed planting, i wanted something that looked natural with the mixed species i hope it will all work together well, we shall know in a month or so. (or it could look a complete mess!!) o_O

hydrophyte said:
That's a neat tank with an innovative placement. What kind of sand substrate is in there?

Sorry missed your question!

The hard-scape is ADA dragon stone, with ADA Amazonia and ADA Sarawak sand at the front

Wow, this looks amazing! I like how natural with all the plant species mingled togetehr.

aaronnorth said:
Excellent Andy, looks really good :thumbup:

thanks Aaron!

rawr said:
Wow, this looks amazing! I like how natural with all the plant species mingled togetehr.

Thanks glad you like it!

Given it a prune tonight as the plants are growing really well, also added a small clean up crew (ottos and some cherry shrimp) they are doing a cracking job!

Will post some pics later this week o_O

Re: 60L kitchen tank

Looking great Andy, very natural and compact.

And i can't believe how the filter is sandwiched in the kitchen gap below, hats off. :clap:

TDI-line said:
Looking great Andy, very natural and compact.

And i can't believe how the filter is sandwiched in the kitchen gap below, hats off. :clap:

Hey Dan (TDI-Line), yeah squeezing the kit in that corner hole was a little challenging! To the point that i bought the filter knowing it was going to probably not fit and planned to put it in the cupboard next to it. Even when i got the ehiem on the floor next to it still didn't think it would fit. You will never guess what it fitted! You cant slide a piece of paper down either side, but she's in! (and yes i did check that it come out!) :lol:

Dan Crawford said:
Thats awesome! Cracking job mate, i bet it looks fantastic in the kitchen.

Thanks Dan, its look great in the kitchen, as everybody knows when ever you have people round for beers (or box of cider in your case Dan (i have seen the photos!)) :sick: they always end up in the kitchen. I find i get more time to appreciate it. Plus the sink is next to it making water changes and maintenance a dream.
web.jpg

Just had my camera out and snapped a few pics, the plants have recovered nicely after the intial pruning.

The tanks on the 24th August (2 days after set-up)
IMG_2451.jpg

The tank this evening 09/09/09 two days after pruning (very bright green need to learn how to control that on my camera)

web.jpg

web.jpg

As you can see things filling out really well, and the staurogyne looks much better now its been cut back to a lower level, its also growing really well lots of new shoots, see below:
web.jpg

and i pic of one of my ottos:

web.jpg

I will stop now or i will keep posting pics! :geek:

Here is a quick HD video i have just done, the plants are pearling really well.

http://gallery.me.com/hartandy#100510

Just really happy with the way things going 3 weeks in and no major dramas! :thumbup: shouldnt of said that i will wake up to a drama tomorrow.

See you at TGM at weekend for those who are going! It will be good to meet you all :wave:

stuworrall said:
excellent smithers!!! cant believe how good this tank looks. have you had ANY algae as it looks perfect! Love the HD vid too :) See you at TGM

What ferts are you dosing now by the way?

Stu, thanks for your kind words! :oops:

Algae, just a small amount, but i had been away for 5 days and no water changes were done in that time so i reckon the Ammonia increased more than i would normally allow which probably helped it along, as soon as got back did a 50% water change and added "clean up crew" ottos and cherry shrimps and they cleared it within in 24hrs.

Yes i can never resist doing a quick video, although i aint that good with the camera yet (still learning)

Ref the Ferts, i am only adding ADA Brighty K and that's it. I am following what Graham (TGM) explained. In a month or two i will start dosing ADA Green Brighty Step 1. But at the moment the ada substrate is doing its job well.

See you at TGM on sunday! I will be the one with the red rose on my left lapel :? :lol:

Graeme Edwards said:
Nice work Andy, looks the dogs ding dongs. Check out that pearling. Nice vid pal.
8)

Not to blow wind up your skirt, but a lot of it is due to your advice. I just listened even when you used big words and made those funny noises! :D :lol:

Thanks for the help Jedi G

andyh said:
Graeme Edwards said:
Nice work Andy, looks the dogs ding dongs. Check out that pearling. Nice vid pal.
8)

Not to blow wind up your skirt, but a lot of it is due to your advice. I just listened even when you used big words and made those funny noises! :D :lol:

Thanks for the help Jedi G

Nice one mate, I appreciate the feedback and thanks...... Im just glad my advice works.....Thanks :oops:

Back