• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Appistogramma breeding project

Hooky

After recently successfully breeding my Borelli pair I want to try one of the more challenging apistos. My water supplier states my tap water hardness is the following:

upload_2018-8-8_13-49-21.png

I have been looking at Apistogramma Bitaeniata / Mendezi and Abacaxis, would any of these be a suitable candidate for a breeding project with my water hardness?

All of those species above are long removed for their native origins. I have had the Bitaeniate and Elizabethan spawn in terrible London water so you should be ok. The potential issue is raising the fry as the female tends to eat them on her 1st/2nd spawn. I combat that by placing a small vase as a breeding cave and removing it 7 days after the fry have hatched. Earlier if you see them swimming inside the vase.

During feeding is the best time to do this.

All of those species above are long removed for their native origins. I have had the Bitaeniate and Elizabethan spawn in terrible London water so you should be ok. The potential issue is raising the fry as the female tends to eat them on her 1st/2nd spawn. I combat that by placing a small vase as a breeding cave and removing it 7 days after the fry have hatched. Earlier if you see them swimming inside the vase.

During feeding is the best time to do this.
Were your fish WC? I was always under the impression that it was never a good idea to remove apisto fry. Of the above species which are the easiest to raise the fry?

Were your fish WC? I was always under the impression that it was never a good idea to remove apisto fry. Of the above species which are the easiest to raise the fry?

I was under the impression that impression too. But then I ran into a guy from apistogramma forum years back who gave me a how-to on this method. It has never failed. I should add that when moving them I use tank water from the tank they were spawned in to keep the parameters exact or as close as possible.

If by WC you mean water change then yes. I always use cold water for water changes but if there are apisto eggs, I tend to temperature match a little closer.

It's not unusual to lose the first batch or two, but they will normally get the hang of it after that, IF your breeders were raised by their own parents. It's often much harder if they were raised away from their parents. WC should be fine, CB will depend on the source.
I also find that dwarf and medium cichlids look after their eggs and fry better if they have something to protect them from, so (in a large enough tank) two or more pairs or harems are often more successful than when you give one a nice tank all to themselves. Same or different species will work. If you haven't got space for multiple territories, some suitable dither fish will help.

Sorry meant Wild Caught.

Thanks for the vase trick. What apistos do you currently breed?

Currently, none. Previously I've kept and raised fry from too many to mention but I've never considered myself a breeder. To be fair and like I mentioned earlier, once they start breeding it's hard for them to stop lol. I would raise fry them in my 180L juwel. And then sell (or get store credit) to my lfs. I just liked process.

And as for Wild Caught I don't believe it to be true. Unless "Wild" is a euphemism for Czech Republic / European fish farms.

Does anyone know of any lfs that regularly stock WC appistogramma

Hooky, as good as those parameters look make sure about chlorine and chloramine.
Set up a dim lighted tank with lots of wood and leaves, floaters and you can try it. Feed some live foods and it should work.

Hooky, as good as those parameters look make sure about chlorine and chloramine.
Set up a dim lighted tank with lots of wood and leaves, floaters and you can try it. Feed some live foods and it should work.

Thanks Edvet

Out of the three species Apistogramma Bitaeniata / Mendezi and Abacaxis, which have the easiest fry to raise?

I have a good supply of Microworms and regularly feed all my fish freshly hatched BBS so I should be okay.

What PH should I aim for for breeding each species?

Hi all,
I have been looking at Apistogramma Bitaeniata / Mendezi and Abacaxis, would any of these be a suitable candidate for a breeding project with my water hardness?
Should be.
Does anyone know of any lfs that regularly stock WC appistogramma
They aren't easy to get. The MA at Leekes at Melksham have some in sometimes, but they won't be cheap, if you phone ask for "Tom", he is the man with expertise.

Peter Clarke is another option (have a look for him on Facebook, he is based in Chesterfield).
I have had the Bitaeniate and Elizabethan spawn in terrible London water so you should be ok.
I've never kept either, but that is an incredible success, A. elizabaethae is a <"really tricky black-water fish">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel & Edvet

Mendezi is my personal favourite and the one that if I can source a WC pair I will attempt at an breeding project. I think with my tap water and some minor adjusting to the PH I shouldn't realistically have too many issues I hope lol.

thanks for the advice all

Hi all, Should be.They aren't easy to get. The MA at Leekes at Melksham have some in sometimes, but they won't be cheap, if you phone ask for "Tom", he is the man with expertise.

Peter Clarke is another option (have a look for him on Facebook, he is based in Chesterfield). I've never kept either, but that is an incredible success, A. elizabaethae is a <"really tricky black-water fish">.

cheers Darrel

Aren't all Apistogramma blackwater fish? I've never seen a video of any South American fish in the wild in clear water. They're far removed from their SA cousins. I have added an almond leaf or two in the past to grow out tanks but I find snails to be more effective.

Thanks Darrel & Edvet

Mendezi is my personal favourite and the one that if I can source a WC pair I will attempt at an breeding project. I think with my tap water and some minor adjusting to the PH I shouldn't realistically have too many issues I hope lol.

thanks for the advice all

Don't tinker with your PH at all. It's not necessary for apistos in my humble opinion.

Back