• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aurora Aquatica

What's left of the Microsorum, hoping it bounces back.

0310696fbc42d83916eb010b65b591ec.jpg

My non growing and disappointing Alternanthera Reinecki Mini. Tempted to replace with a more established non tissue culture version, opinions appreciated if there is something I can do to get this growing. More light maybe?

82474fb0b161ba64ece65db1ef25d4fa.jpg

The S. Repens is filling in though, so that's good.

433389d7edfcd03f9871e601126b06e6.jpg

I'm going away for a few days, so no changes at the moment, just want to leave it stable until I get home Sunday.

The FE had dropped cylinder pressure, so I swapped it out for a full one tonight to be sure it doesn't run out while I'm away.

When I get back it will be 8 weeks from setup just gone, so will be looking to add some fish! Amanos seem to be a pain to get hold of at the moment, but hopefully I'll be able to get some Otos in there. I'm reluctant to add more light until I get some clean up crew in there.

Great detail on this journal - I'm in awe of your efforts! :wideyed:
(really makes me appreciate how much I deserve that "lazy aquarist" epithet ;) ... I've been "cleaning" my filter/hoses "tomorrow" for about 3months now :oops: ...)

Some thoughts
- stop uprooting plantlets to remove damaged leaves, if the stem has melted completely it's fair enough but otherwise you're damaging the roots hairs that are doing the nutrient uptake (or in process of getting established to do so), instead just trim in situ as well as you can (shrimp help a lot at this stage as they will often tidy up, if sufficient ratio of shrimps to plants & you don't feed shrimp much, this can be very efficient) & allow plant to become more established; then replant the tops when they've grown on enough (old "rule" was ~10cm stem plant + 2-3 leaf nodes that could be trimmed to become root nodes when this "top" is replanted, cut the stem ~ halfway between the nodes so that there's no chance of damaging that node, that extra stem bit will initially help to anchor, then "melt" in the substrate & potentially supply local nutrients ... or so the adage goes ;) ... if the internode length is long, a single leaf node is sufficient for root growth, the 2-3 is just "hedging your bet")
While tank & plants are establishing, resist the urge to help too much.

- some of your plants are "planted" rather deep into the substrate, eg those crypts prefer to have those submerse leaves at the substrate level; just use your fingers to gently remove the melted bits, scissor trim rather than "pulling" on the plantlet - emerse growth from crypts that travel below substrate & emerge happily from subterranean regions aren't subject to this (obviously).
I'd just leave these crypts in place & let them surprise you once they get going :) (I couldn't find your plant list so no idea which crypt this is :oops:)

- Alternanthera Reinecki Mini, again I'd just leave it alone, give it light & CO2 & fertilizer (it doesn't actually need much as plant volume is low, it just needs "enough") & time
Tropica vids: layout 93 layout 75 In your tank, Day 0 is the last day that you uprooted/trimmed; obviously any incoming plant that doesn't need "adjusting" will get off to a quicker start than plants that have needed trimming etc ... this is why it's the Art of Planted Aquaria ;) (rather than Science - too many unidentified factors!)

- depending on the state of the remaining plant, sometimes I remove damaged leaves, sometimes not ... during transition, the new plant doesn't have roots to support itself & until enough new leaves emerge, it's just stored energy in the stem/rhizome/old leaf ... so an older leaf with limited damage gets left, it's a balance of how much does this leaf contribute vs cost to maintain. I suspect there is some mechanism to scavenge stored "energy" from these emerse leafs. (though like everything else, it's a shifting balance)
(eg, I'd likely have left some spaced leaves on that microsorum - if it has enough stored energy in the rhizome, it should come back just fine, again just leave it in place & ignore, check intermittently for rhizome health - feels firm with no "mush" factor)

- re adding oyster grit etc to your filter to add GH/KH, you'll have more control with liquid GH/KH booster that you add to your change water. Depending on tank conditions/maintenance you can end up with lots of swings in KG/KH when using grit etc. My tap is very soft & acidic, I support the shrimp with frozen brine rather than messing with GH/KH but as with anything aquarium related, there are many paths to success :)

:oops: mixed up my submerse & emerse on that crypt paragraph

Thank you very much for the detailed response Alto, some really useful advice there!

I got back from my trip today to a few minor disappointments. I changed the CO2 over the night before I went away, was all running fine, but for some reason the working pressure dropped from its usual 40psi to around 30 psi. Not sure why this would happen? It reduced my bubble rate so I came back to a greeny blue DC. Not a disaster, just a few leaves melted on a very small number of S? Repens plants, but annoying. Some more algae apparent too, a handful of small green patches on the wood and a little diatoms.

My Hygrophila and Limnophila H. have done really well, huge growth in 5 days. My Echinodorus Reni is doing well too.

The hydrocotyle has a little algae on a few leaves but has grown. Alternanthera still looking rather sad, will just leave it to establish again.

Yesterday was 8 weeks since setup, so it was time for fish. I decided with getting home to some algae and low CO2 that I would switch off the light and CO2, do the water change, then rushed off to MA and picked up 6 Otos!

Came home, set up the drip acclimation kit and left them in a dark bucket to acclimatise for around 30-35 minutes. After transferring them in, 5 went straight to the front glass and started cleaning! The sixth hid for about 15 minutes at the back, then joined his friends and they haven't stopped eating algae since they went in!

I'm putting the CO2 back to a timer, so it will go off at 22:00, an hour before the lights, but come on at 08:00. The room is bright and the 24/7 CO2 has been useful, but I want to give them an overnight break, but start early and make sure CO2 is up right through the day. They have been in a few hours, so about to add CO2 back at a low level so I can get the right amount dialled in tonight. I'll leave lights off for a bit, then add light for a couple of hours before lights off.

I'll try to update with pics once lights are on later.

I'm putting the CO2 back to a timer, so it will go off at 22:00, an hour before the lights, but come on at 08:00. The room is bright and the 24/7 CO2 has been useful, but I want to give them an overnight break, but start early and make sure CO2 is up right through the day. They have been in a few hours, so about to add CO2 back at a low level so I can get the right amount dialled in tonight. I'll leave lights off for a bit, then add light for a couple of hours before lights off.

I'll try to update with pics once lights are on later.

I've just done the same, gas off an hour before the lights and then back on at 6am. Toying with either a surface skimmer or ADA air diffuser when I set up my new tank next week to try and help with gassing off over night and keeping surface film to a minimum.

I have the Eheim skimmer going, plus good surface ripple. Have dialled in the CO2 conservatively so far, they don't seem fussed. Most of them have moved from glass cleaning to plant cleaning so they seem to be following orders :thumbup:

Ok, some pics!

If you compare this to the previous shots you can see the growth now things are taking off!

afc50687632b2619110a4c4fae71ed9a.jpg

My Anubis is a little dirty, Oto doing his job!

fa727dc3d04c044a7f1af2a6f45c523e.jpg

c44531a02dcba972d9aaf066f184f361.jpg

Apparently the skimmer needs some work too!

f40fd40873dd494a1e8512a0bb6e4513.jpg

It's been a long eight weeks to getting fish, really nice to have the Otos in there. Now she's seen them in the flesh rather than pictures, even my girlfriend agrees they are cute!

They sure are working hard, cleaning all the time. One of them is a little more subdued, hangs on his own more often than with the group and is happier to chill rather than shoot about with the rest, but hopefully he settles in with a bit more time.

Ha! My wife likes the Otos in my tank too.

Any full tank shots?

Just a quick FTS on the phone just now.

67ef98c9a43430533424be8a8e610c93.jpg

Relieved to get home tonight and find my DC is green and my Otos all seem perfectly happy. The DC does seem to be a deeper green than it should be, but now I'm home to monitor I'm going to tweak it up a touch and watch the fish.

We have spent the last half hour searching and counting and can never see more than five Otos (all currently named Diego due to South American heritage). Hoping the sixth one is hiding somewhere, there are no jumpers on the floor. Fingers crossed he's in there somewhere.

Diego 6 sounds definitely under the weather, hope he reappears over the next days/weeks :)
I've yet to experience the Leaping Oto ;) they are excellent at Hide-n-Seek

I figured if he had bought the farm he's either stuck under the wood or in the skimmer. I took the top,off the skimmer and sure enough he was in there. Man down :(

When they all went in yesterday, the first five went straight to eating, then last to go in just hid and avoided everyone else, moved a few times but was very listless. I figure he is the casualty, maybe he didn't acclimate well or was stressed from the move.

His five buddies are really active and constantly eating and feeding, so looks like just an issue with the one fish. It's a shame but I guess you can't always expect 100% of the fish to make it.

The good news is the minor CO2 tweak has given me a better looking DC and everyone is swimming around like nothing changed. I'll monitor again in the morning, then again tomorrow night and see if changes are required.

I'm away for work Wednesday to Friday and my girlfriend is away Wednesday, but we're going to feed some courgette together tomorrow, then she can feed some Thursday. Still algae for them to eat, but don't want them hungry.

Just need to figure out a feeding system so it's easy to add a piece that doesn't float off and remove any excess of needs be. Am I best blanching the slice for a couple of minutes before serving?

About your althernanthera, could it be possible that it is shaded by the bigger and fuller Anubias?
As a general rule, althernanthera requires direct and strong light to fully utilize the co2 + dosing.

Just a thought

About your althernanthera, could it be possible that it is shaded by the bigger and fuller Anubias?
As a general rule, althernanthera requires direct and strong light to fully utilize the co2 + dosing.

Just a thought

It could be for a few plants, but most have unobstructed light directly from the tile. It's starting to grow now I have increased intensity, but my tile is quite high, so it coul be lacking light still.

Today we lost another Oto, but lost as in could not find, not dead. 5 happy active fish last night, only four this morning. Assumed he was hiding, but came home to 4 active fish and number 5 nowhere in sight. Searched and searched, but decided to check the skimmer again and sure enough, he's in there, but alive!

I'm guessing the one that died in there yesterday may have gone in alive and died before we found him. I switched it off and removed the floating weir, left him as he's swum out on his own. Looks ok, fingers crossed.

Has anyone else has this with the Eheim Skim 350? Loads of people use these and I've never heard anyone else say about this. I'm going to start a thread on the subject which may get more visibility than this thread.

Back