• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aurora Aquatica

Everything has been returned to day so fingers crossed they can get to the bottom of the issue. When I took everything apart, gas that was in the regulator escaped from the FE side, but when the system is set up and running, that gas only gets through the solenoid for the first burst then slows and stops. I wondered if it was due to a power issue, so tried plugging the solenoid directly in to the power bar instead of through the timer, but that didn't help. I also tried plugging it straight in to a wall socket instead of the extension, but still the same issue.

I'm still undecided on the re-scape. I want to do it, but have a wedding to pay for in August, so if I do go ahead it needs to be a low budget rescape. I would probably invest in some sort of new substrate system, whether that was the ADA or maybe the Tropica to avoid the Ammonia issue with ADA and obviously some extra plants, but I might look for free hardscape out in the countryside. I did try that before and in the end didnt like the stone I found, but that was before I had ever scaped an aquarium, so this time I have a better idea of the shapes and sizes that I would want.

Just had a chat with CO2Art on the phone. They can't find a problem with the regulator which is not really a surprise as I had the same issue with two regulators, but now that I have returned the full system to them they have found a problem with the UP inline atomiser. There is a leak around the seals where the tube fittings connect. I had checked both of these with soapy water and not seen anything, but with them having the whole system removed from the tank they tested the atomiser in a bucket of water and saw a leak here. They are going to continue testing the regulator overnight then return everything to me tomorrow along with a new atomiser.

I'm not sure how this fault with the atomiser causes what I saw with CO2 starting to come through the regulator then slowing and stopping, so if anyone here can explain how a leak down stream would stop the flow from the regulator it would be appreciated. I assume that it something to do with the lack of pressure in the system or something?

Unfortunately I came home to find three dead Amanos on the lounge and kitchen floor, obviously they set out to find a new home :(

I've seen an Amano freaked out by the flow of the outflow pipe and jumped out of the tank.
So the water parameters of your tank is not the only reason for their escape. I lower the water
level down 4.5 cm from the rim and it helps a lot.

I've seen an Amano freaked out by the flow of the outflow pipe and jumped out of the tank.
So the water parameters of your tank is not the only reason for their escape. I lower the water
level down 4.5 cm from the rim and it helps a lot.

This maybe explains why they got freaked out, because I use the filter and a tap connector in to my filter inflow from the fresh water container to refill the tank, so the water is half way and then splashes down in to the tank from the spraybar. The fish seem to really enjoy this, I assume its like a rain storm for them and something they might experience in nature, they move from the back of the tank to the front to get in to the fresh water. The shrimp on the other hand just went nuts and started doing laps at the top of the water. They didn't leave until the following day though, they all seemed fairly settled once the water stopped going in.

I used my normal method to change water last night and the remaining three shrimp did not seem bothered, they are quite in to hiding anyway and tend to potter around in the wood and plants, so they just kept out of the way. One has taken up regular residence in the cave under the bogwood and sits at the entrance until I drop food close enough for him to gain courage to come out, grab it and take it back to his cave.

My CO2 equipment should be returned today, have had the text from Royal Mail to say they will deliver today. Tonight is a free evening, so I should be able to get this set up and tested. Fingers well and truly crossed that I can get CO2 in there and keep the surviving plants going. Most of the Microsorum has melted now, but the root and rhizome appears healthy so hopefully it will bounce back with time. My Crypts are losing the odd leaf here and there, as is the Anubias, but that tends to loose lower leaves that get very little light, it looks healthy otherwise.

I do still have a rescape in mind, but want to make sure I have working CO2 kit before I invest any more money in the tank. I have a wedding to pay for in August, so it is going to have to be a low budget rescape, either using the Dragon Stone I have that I decided not to use with this first scape, or with some rocks I can find locally for free. I just need to get myself some redmoor root, I'm keep my eyes out online for the sort of pieces I have in mind, but never seem to find what I want. I wish there was somewhere locally that stocked a decent amount, but the only LFS that has some just keeps a handful of pieces more aimed at reptile cages as they do a lot of reptiles and amphibians there too.

Popped in to MA on the way home and they now do a small selection of wood for hardscape! Had a rummage through and came away with 2 small and 2 medium pieces for £15. Couldn't use it all, but at that price it gives me options to work with.

Also ordered a few bits of Bogwood from gre0044 on eBay today, he's away until the end of the month, but I'm in no rush. That gives me more options too, will see what the bits are like when they arrive.

I really like some elements of the existing large bogwood piece in the current scape. If I tear this down I'm tempted to try and break off the two nice gnarly bits on the front right and the left hand end with the Anubias, use them as individual pieces in the new scape. Will have to see how strong it is after being soaked for 6 months.

I know mixing different types of rock is a bit of a no no, but wondering about wood. I guess it's not usual to have different types of trees in the same place. I may use pieces of Bogwood low down then some redmoor to add height to the scape without blocking too much flow. Any opinions on that?

Good news! Got my CO2 kit back last night and with the new atomiser, everything is working! I have left it off during the day today as I didn't have enough time to set the required rate last night and keep an eye on the fish, that will be a job for this evening and the weekend.

I don't believe what's happening! I'm having no luck!

I had left the CO2 switched off via the Solenoid, but the FE was open. Came home and as soon as I walked in I
could hear gas escaping. My right gauge was covered in ice and water and gas coming out the top!

87243eae14d3143a3c60439806737e9e.jpg

2e20bc38c7a82f5782421bdc895560ac.jpg

So I'm still waiting to hear back from CO2Art about the regulator. I got a mail on Saturday asking whether I had the solenoid and needle valve open when I started the system up as having them closed could damage the gauges. I'm aware that they need to be open and they were, I got a stream of CO2 as soon as I opened the FE, then reduced it down with the needle valve to around 2 bubbles per second, checked for leaks and all was fine. I ran the system all evening without any issues then switched off the solenoid when I went to bed. I have no idea when the gauge failed as I had intended to leave it off all day and then switch it on again Friday evening when I was around to monitor the fish, so I did not look at it in the morning. It was when I came home from work in the evening that I could hear gas escaping. Hopefully they get back to me today and we can get it sorted out. My two Ech. Rose plants are starting to die now as well, my Microsorum has no leaves left, but hoping the rhizome survives, the only things that seem to be doing ok are the Anubias and the crypts. They crypts are still losing some leaves, but I think that's leaves from before they switched to under water growth which are slowly being shed.

My Fiance has a weekend away in London at the end of February, so I am now planning a rescape that weekend as I will have all day to work on the tank. I just need to get my CO2 kit working, find some stone to use and find a suitable container for the fish to live in for the day during the scape. I have a month to get everything I need including some new substrate.

Just heard from CO2Art that a replacement gauge is on the way, so hopefully that will be here tomorrow or Wednesday latest. They said I could send the reg back to have it fitted, but if I wanted to get it fixed quicker and was happy to fit myself they would just send me the gauge. Fingers well and truly crossed this is the last issue and I can get my CO2 up and running again this week.

Good news, gauge arrived, fitted this evening, system set up and has been running for about 3 hours now. So far, so good. I'll turn off again tonight, still not confident in the rate of CO2 to have it come on while I'm at work tomorrow, but will run it all evening tomorrow and get all my timers configured again.

Lights are currently on at 30% for 4 hours, so will start to bring intensity and duration back up to normal levels.

Preparations are being made for the rescape. Ordered some egg crate which I intend to use to raise some rock to get the scape I have in mind. I need to order a new black background, going to try window tinting film this time as the type I have now peels off eventually and you can't stick it back down. It's impossible to change while the tank is full so this is a perfect opportunity.

So it's been a long time since I posted an FTS, not been much to see, it was November 17th back on page 12 and just after the new plants went in. There was then the CO2 equipment disaster and today is the first day it's all back running on the timer.

Got home tonight at 6, an hour after lights on. Lime green DC, CO2 started at 3. It's a fast stream of CO2, but fish and shrimp seem totally oblivious, so I'll just monitor through to lights off. I've increased lights to 6 hours at 60%.

As you can see if you compare the FTS below to the previous one, I obviously lost some plants. Ech. Reni has gone, S. Repens has gone, M. Trident almost gone but rhizome still healthy so should come back. The Crypts are still there, a little growth, new immersed leaves and old leaves dying off.

a61c3610697ce309b211c50b3693b8c0.jpg

It's been a learning process and the rescape will happen in a months time. I'm going to try and bring these plants on as much as I can in a month and reuse as much as possible in the new scape.

I'm going to experiment with pushing the lighting over the next few weeks, see if I can find the sweet spot. I've never had algae since I set up the tank in June 2015 except a few tiny spots on the glass which went as soon as the Ottos went in. I do feel that with the light so high above the tank and the cover which will reduce intensity and it being a taller tank that the actual par at substrate is low and has caused some of my lack of growth issues. Even before the CO2 disaster when I was getting good CO2 levels I had very slow growth. I think now is the time to experiment, use this month before the rescape to find the balance between growth and algae, so if it goes pear shaped I can clean up the mess at rescape. It's going to be another learning process! That's what it's all about, right?

Oh boy, I really need to stop buying wood from gre0044 on ebay, or at least be more careful! The dimensions of the pieces sounded ok and they were so cheap that I didn't think they were that big, but they arrived and they are way bigger than I had imagined them to be in my mind when I was thinking about a rescape! I didn't actually intend to use all 4 pieces, it was more so I had a selection to work with, but these are big! Might have to re-think how I am going to do this re-scape. I'm developing quite a collection of unused hardscape, about 18KG of Dragon Stone, some bogwood, some manzanita! I clearly have a problem with buying things on a whim and then changing my mind :oops:

Just bought a 15 litre stainless steel stock pot on eBay, its about 28 cm diameter and 25 cm high, so hoping I can boil some bits of wood in that. Was only 15 quid and I guess I can sterilise it and use it for cooking, or just store aquarium bits in it and stick in the loft ready for next time I have new hardscape to clean/boil.

I think I am going to lift out the bogwood from this scape this evening, then do a massive water change as it will obviously disturb the substrate. This is for two reasons, first of all I want to give the plants I have the best chance of growing ready for being re-used in the new scape and the wood currently blocks a lot of flow. The other reason is I intend to try and break up this large piece and re-use some small sections of it in the new scape. I want to have my scape fully planned so I know how it will look in advance of the rescape day. I don't want fish out the tank and be half way through to find it does not fit and I need something I don't have to make it work. I'll take it out tonight, tie the three Anubias and the Microsorum on to a stone for now and pop those back in the tank, then I can break up this wood and plan my new scape. I'm also going to boil the bits I am going to use and see if that helps with the sporadic fungal outbreaks I have had.

If possible have the syphon going as you slowly lift the wood - filter off, so you can remove most of the "cloud" as it puffs up - then filter back on once you've removed the wood and then large water change as usual

You might also add a 10X dose of Prime just before lifting the wood as it will help bind assorted N compounds, then add a double dose with the large water change.

OTOH if fish are few & not too difficult to catch, I'd be inclined to remove them ... just in case

Hope everything goes well from here - you've had rotten luck with all that CO2 business

If possible have the syphon going as you slowly lift the wood - filter off, so you can remove most of the "cloud" as it puffs up - then filter back on once you've removed the wood and then large water change as usual

You might also add a 10X dose of Prime just before lifting the wood as it will help bind assorted N compounds, then add a double dose with the large water change.

OTOH if fish are few & not too difficult to catch, I'd be inclined to remove them ... just in case

Hope everything goes well from here - you've had rotten luck with all that CO2 business

Thanks for the advice! With only one pair of hands it was hard to siphon and lift together. I dosed some prime first, let it circulate for a few minutes, then switched off the filter and carefully lifted the wood. Unfortunately, although the shrimp got out the wood sharpish, one of the Corys decided his best bet was to just sit it out in the wood! Got him back in the water, but the cloud was starting to spread by that point. I started the syphon and did a really big water change, approx 80-90% to try and get rid of as much as possible. I then refilled with double prime dosed fresh water.

I fired the filter back up to get things circulating and also started up the skimmer to help remove surface detritus that had been stuck under the wood. Once this was running I carefully removed the Anubias and Microsorum from the wood. I had been keeping them wet with an occasional water spray during the water change. I then tied them on to two pieces of stone and popped them back in the tank. It's not pretty, I only had string, but it's just to keep them going until I rescape. I left things for a few hours to clear and for the fish to chill out and I've just put the CO2 back on for the last hour of the photoperiod.

Fingers crossed they are all ok! I have my chunk of wood, I now need to see if I can separate it in to multiple pieces. I thought after 8 months in water it would have softened, but it still seems pretty tough. I suspect that job will require brute force and ignorance.

what do you have in fish?
If it's just the Cories, you can likely leave the Amano shrimp in the same temporary tank whilst re-scaping, just include some wood/plants etc for shrimp to take refuge

At least wood removal sounds to have gone well :)

I suspect the wood you have is that extremely difficult to break stuff ;)

My fish are 7 Cory Sterbai, 8 Ottos and about 15 Ember Tetra. I'm thinking that the Amanos will be ok in with those guys as they are all pretty chilled. The Amanos are quite happy hanging out in the open with them around.

Back