• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Biding Time (22 gal, no CO2)

So I went to the AGA convention this past weekend and it was very inspiring! Unfortunately I’ve got a nursing infant cramping my style, but it was close to home and had an awesome speaker list, so I was determined to see as much as I could. Even with my tight schedule it was fantastic! The talks left me buzzing with ideas, and I even had a little time to make connections with some local people in the hobby. I wish I had had more time to hang around, but it was more than worth the effort to go.

Seeing Sudipta Shaw’s lecture on high energy non-CO2 tanks especially was a highlight; I’ve picked his brain about his tanks online before, but in the time since then he’s done some more experimenting and reading and had some insights that really illuminated some things I had observed in my own tanks. I walked out with some ideas about what I can do to improve things in the future. It was a heady mix of validating and motivating. And then Diana Walstad took the first question after his talk and it was… kind of surreal? It wasn’t too surprising she was there - she lives nearby! But it was like, whoa, the lady from my book is talking to the guy from the internet and it is all very specifically relevant to my planted aquarium praxis; the world is too small.

Both Sudipta Shaw and Dennis Wong had portions of their lectures about the unique utility of soil substrates galvanized my commitment to them going forward. I am quite convinced that for my system I need soil to act as both a nutrient source/sink and as the primary source of CO2 for my tank from microbe respiration. As much as I am the first person to support all the various ways of building a successful tank, I can’t equivocate when it comes to my own practices. So I’m happy for all of you who love inert substrates and primarily dose through the water column, but for all the missteps I’ve made in this hobby going with soil has not been one of them.

Of course I also bought a bunch of plants and had to set up the nano tank I got in the aquascaping workshop as a holding tank. (The workshop was really great, but the hardscape isn’t perishable, you know?) I shuffled a lot of stuff around so the new tank has a lot of the stargrass and hottonia that has grown out from tissue culture as well as some new stuff. The pressure is on to get my big tank going - I put Echinodorus ‘Fancy Twist’ and Cryptocoryne balansae in here, so it’s only a matter of time before they get way too big. The clock is ticking now, but I’ve got a plan, I swear.

PXL_20240408_211601766.jpg

PXL_20240408_211534230.jpg

PXL_20240408_211529080.jpg

Biding Time is almost 2 years old!
P4180230.JPG

It's funny to go back and see where my head was at when I first set it up. I wanted to try out some new equipment and plants and I did that, but things didn't really go as I expected. I have come to appreciate my 20 gallon long tank a lot more than I did two years ago. I thought it was over the hill and I would tear it down soon, but it proved to be superior at growing plants and it took a couple of years thinking about it before I had a solid working theory for why.

I was aiming to get some color going, and I think I have fully achieved that. Rotala 'Blood Red' has sky rocketed in popularity in the past two years for very good reasons - it's easy to get red (even pink in low energy conditions!) and it's tough. I highly recommend it for non-injected tanks. I'm also very pleased with the color of Cryptocoryne affinis 'Red' and my Bacopa caroliniana now has a solid orange tinge that I wasn't expecting. I finally have Ludwigia 'Super Red' growing well and it's living up to its reputation. I recently got Enchinodorus 'Fancy Twist' and 'Reni' that I am hoping will bring interesting colors in the big tank. Taken together, it's a world apart from the all-green landscape I came from.

But the biggest disappointment of Biding Time has been that only some of the new species I tried thrived in the long run. I think this came down to an immature tank and substandard aquasoil that did not foster strong growth in material that needed to adapt to submerged conditions. These plants were ultimately done in by my year of shoddy maintenance; when I started cleaning stuff up at the end of last year, anything that was struggling was purged. I've had better luck introducing plants since then, like the hottonia and star grass. A lot of the plants I picked up at the convention are second tries of species I lost, and the difference in having more robust plant material in a mature tank is striking - nice, clean growth from the jump. I doubt they will meet the same fate.

Another aspect that has been fairly unpredictable to me is how tall things grow. There's just a lot of difference in growth habits for the exact same plants between my tanks. I suspect that Biding Time has more light and leaner soil, so many things are staying shorter than I would have guessed, though not always for the same reason. I think the crypts are shorter because of the light, but the Ludwigia repens would grow better with richer soil. On the flip side, Narrow K java ferns and Bacopa are tallest in Biding Time, and who knows what that is about. Biding Time has an area in the center of the layout that is short and packed with so many different plants. It's kind of interesting, but definitely not what I planned. In the bottom 3" there are about 4 different types of crypts, Hottonia palustris, Pogostemon helferi, Blyxa japonica, Ludwigia repens, a couple different rotala, water sprite, etc.
?hash=dda872a21e43274acc62518e7e3fe53d.jpg

I'll leave one last interesting accident: a epiphytic crypt. I pulled it out of my nano tank a long time ago and just tucked it between some wood and a big java fern because I didn't have anywhere to put it and it eventually attached itself. This picture is from the side with the fern removed for maintenance.

P4170182.JPG

Attachments

• P4170157.JPG
    P4170157.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 12
So glad you got to go to the convention, I wasn’t able to work it out with my schedule otherwise I would have been. Sounds like it was an awesome time.
I've not been to a convention in the hobby before, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I felt like it had a lot to offer for the size. I don't feel like I paid enough money for it, honestly. Obviously if you have to travel then it wouldn't be a cheap weekend, but as someone who could drive from home I feel like I got away with highway robbery. I'll definitely look at going to the next one in two years, but it'll depend on where it is and the speaker list. I'm curious to go to other fish-related conventions in the area, but this one definitely set a high bar that will be difficult to match.

Back