• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - 12 Rummy Nosed Tetras Added

Re: Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape

Hmm ... this should be a doddle. Go to your gallery, select videos, press and hold on the video and select share, you should get a bunch of options like mail etc, one of which is youtube. If you select this you should be able to upload it. I know there are some issues with HTC phones and video (I have one but haven't tried this) as they use some weird proprietary format. Give it a go and see what happens. Alternatively the folder they're in should be SDcard/DCIM/100Media or something like that. You could drag them over to your pc using my computer. However, I read somewhere you have to do some weird crap because of the file format to allow other devices to read the video.

Well, I've taken the video and uploaded it to Photobucket and it runs fine on the web. I've liked the movie in the post with the tank shot so if you click on the spray bar image it takes you to the video, but it isn't embedded into the post. It's not important.

Its looking good dude! You wont regret the Tennelus, its a cracking plant once its pruned a few times it comes back nice and compact ;)

Your gonna need a fair few pots of HC to fill your valley! but it should look great once grown in :thumbup:

At the moment I've left the tellenus long to try and help it settle in. But if noticed a couple of blades have some algae on them... It's far to early for it to have grown since planting...

Am I alright giving it a trim this early? I want to keep it shorter at the front but obviously want to remove any contamination as early as possible!

Just realised that I'm not gonna be able to order any new plants just yet. I'm going camping at the weekend so wont be around to take delivery and/or plant them...

Also atm I'm following the EI mix strategy from FluidSensorOnline which is the same as that suggested by The CEG, but it seems like an awful lot... In my last attempt I was using a DIY TPN+ mix and I didn't use as much ferts per 500ml and didn't dose as much per day. I am currently dosing 120ml of Macro (15g KNO3 + 3.8g KH2PO4 + 37g MgSO4 into 500ml) and 120ml of Trace (3.9g of trace mix into 500ml) on consecutive days with a 2day rest b4 a water change. I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that I'm doing it right. :thumbup:

Carried you some trimage to shorten the tellenus at the from and get rid of the free algae that was on the longer blades at the back. Also did a 50%(+) water change so that I could clean up the cats "deposit" behind the tank... It was probably a good idea to do it anyway and gave me the motivation. ;)

hi bob, good to mee you and your other half at TGM :)

Re the tennelus with the algae I tend to cut mine off at the point it gets algae in a new scape. Not sure on the EI sorry as I dont do it but I did look at the figures on fluidsensor and they looked like huge amounts to be adding on my 90cm compared to what I put in at the moment with TPN. I wouldnt know how they could squash that amount of salts/ferts into the bottle!

The other thing is the water changes. With a new scape I tend to be doing 50% every two days for the first two weeks becuase of the ammonia leak from the substrate and to take out any debris from any melting new plants. Im not sure how often you're doing yours and whether EI would change this? Maybe someone who knows more about EI will be along to advise.

Hi Stu, it was great to meet you! Shame you had to leave early.

I was beginning to feel a bit left out. My journal doesn't seem to get very much traffic... Probably because of 8pages of inactivity. ;)

I must admit I am very new to EI so not sure how water changes affect the dosing. I erred on the side of caution and added half of the recommended dose (120ml) after the water change and then the other half the following morning. Maybe I'll start a new thread asking about FSOnlines numbers and how water changes at the start of a scape affect EI. I have a feeling that you would just start the EI cycle again until next water change.

hmm, thats interesting then. If the numbers are correct then technically you are underdosing at the moment so there could be one problem cause.

Cant tell from the picture if the tennelus is in the emmersed or immersed form so it could be that they are just converting to underwater living.

How often are you doing a water change at the moment? It woud be a good idea to start another thread on the fluidsensor EI levels and also what water change regime to go for when using EI as its something id be interested in looking at as I was thinking of going over to it with my 90cm.

All the plants in this scape were bought from the TGM last Saturday. The Tennellus was kept/bought immersed and was quite long (8-9cm tall). I commented at the time, to Andyh I think, that there was algae growing on it but was assured it was just detritus. It's not a problem cos I've just trimmed the infected blade. The HC (2pots) was the only thing growing emmersed per planting.

I'll start the thread now.

Re: Bobtastic's Iwagumi Scape - Finally planted page 10

Hi Bob

Bobtastic said:
I'm going away this weekend camping and I was wondering what to do with my EI dosing? Should I double dose?
This will certainly do no harm :D

Bobtastic said:
Can I dose macro and trace on the same day?
If you need to. I've done it before when I've had to.
If we think about it, the general idea is to avoid mixing the Trace with the Phosphate, but there is still Phosphate in the tank the next day, unless the plants magically use it all up, which is highly unlikely when dosing EI levels of the stuff.
I leave about half an hour between the two and have never had a problem.

Bobtastic said:
I noticed last night that some of the HC in the valley is melting... What is the usual cause of this?
I don't mean to sound like a broken record but this is pointing to CO2. It will not be anything to do with your dosing. Most symptoms of underdosing start with discolouring leaves, holes in leaves, algae attack etc and it would have to be underdosed for quite a while before it fails structurally. Any structural failure is CO2 related, 99% of the time.
If you have no livestock in there, crank it up :D

Thanks CeeJay,

I have the Co2 cranked up pretty high atm, and the bubble counter is a blur! It's a bit odd as not all the HC is melting only a couple of patches. I'm now a little concerned that my flow isn't strong enough to get the Co2 to the bottom of the tank... The tank itself is fairly "deep" by normal planted aquarium standards (60cm). I think I'll up the Co2 a bit more to see if that makes a difference.

Would it be a good idea to reduce the light time over the weekend while I'm away?

Hi Bob.

60cm is a deep tank and it will be a mission getting the CO2 down there. You could try and switch the gas on earlier, in the short term, until you get your flow sorted and see if that makes a difference.
As this tank is just starting out, I would only run the lighting for 5 or 6 hours for the first few weeks. So if you're already doing that, there is no need to change anything :D

If memory servers the lights are on for 5 - 5 and a half hours so it's about right. The gas comes on an hour before the lights I may get it on a little earlier. The HC was growing emmersed at TGM, would I expect any melt and then regrowth from them?

I was thinking about the light reduction for over the weekend rather than generally.

Hi Bob

The fact that it may have been grown emmersed may well be part of the problem. Bear in mind it had access to unlimited CO2 (world levels @ >400ppm last time I looked :rolleyes: ). You've now dumped it in a tank full of water and we feed it a measly 30ppm+ and we wonder why the plants get the 'ump :lol:. Unless your CO2 is bang on during the transition, you could well get plants failing. I'm sure it will grow back once it adapts :D
I think your lighting is OK for a newly started tank so I would be inclined to leave it as it is.

Bobtastic said:
The gas comes on an hour before the lights I may get it on a little earlier.
I switch mine on 2 hours before lights on, if that's any help :thumbup: .

Right then, I have to order some more plants to up my biomass and get the plants that weren't available the weekend we met up at TGM. I am definitely going to get some Staurogyne sp. but I would like some suggestion for other plant that might look good in this scape.

I and originally thought of getting some Crypts: Wendtii "Green" but not sure about them... Also like the look of Blyxa. Suggestions pls!

I've just put an order in for 2pots of Staurogyne sp., 1pot of Crypt Wendtii "Brown" and 1pot of Blyxa Japonica. I've decided to lay off the HC for the moment to see if I can get the bits that I have in there now to service! If not I'll try for something else. Possibly Gloss or a narrower hair grass like Eleocharis parvula.

Back