• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Borneo stream DOOA H36 mizukusa mistwall60

Enjoyed reading this journal!:thumbup::happy:
Thank you very much. Glad that some of us still exist who enjoy these old forum journals.
It is a shame that most people have moved to social media and bite-sized pics on instagram. You never get to truly capture the full scope of the journey it took to bring a scape to life.
Beautiful tank! Really makes me want to try this paladrium style set-up.
Thanks! Give it a shot. I think it really gives a nice wild-feel to the aquarium hobby.

Looks incredible mate. Really nice job.

As others have said stunning setup, love the equipment and the scape, always love a paludarium, nice change and great jurnal thanks for sharing .

Dean

Such a great setup.

Astounding moss growth on the wall area!

Oct 2023 pics

It is always a rewarding and satisfying feeling to admire our planted tanks right after maintenance. I can’t believe this tank is already 2y old this month. The number of minute details, unique and rare plants/mosses alongside the scampering pure red line shrimp always delight me. I am very proud of this slice of nature that I have achieved. Of course not everything is perfect: over the two years, I have faced staghorn algae, still suffer from blue green algae on the walls of moss, plants and mosses smothering slower growing species, tons of aquasoil being dragged onto the sand by shrimp, the inability of shrimp to allow me to have any semblance of a inclined substrate, and most of all, nearly 30 or more nano fish that have jumped out of the tank or died. The rabbits foot fern is also smothering all my orchids and killed some of them. It shows you that a dynamic living ecosystem such as this is constantly changing and in flex. Yet, the most important thing is to enjoy the journey. I am always conducting regular weekly 50% water changes and the low bioload allows me to only do a filter maintenance once every two months. My next iteration would be to get rid of the ugly clothes hanger that I use to hang the light. The small pump that I have used to circulate the water also didn't work as well as I would like to (fern roots blocked the path of the water + cheap amazon pumps start making a lot of noise).
View attachment 212343View attachment 212344View attachment 212345View attachment 212346View attachment 212347
View attachment 212348
View attachment 212349
View attachment 212350
View attachment 212351
View attachment 212352
View attachment 212353
View attachment 212354

Such a great setup.

Astounding moss growth on the wall area!
Thank you very much. The problem I am facing now though is blue green algae/cyanobacteria on the top of the wall and at random spots. I have tried ADA bacter100 and manual removal..but it keeps coming back...so it is a constant struggle.

Excellent tank! Really like the idea of Borneo biotope.

Thank you very much. The problem I am facing now though is blue green algae/cyanobacteria on the top of the wall and at random spots. I have tried ADA bacter100 and manual removal..but it keeps coming back...so it is a constant struggle.
@VarunA
You could try a 3-day blackout covering the wall with a black trash bag....or adding Spagnhum moss into the top part of the wall.
Blackout would be the easiest option first.

Hi,
quick question if that’s ok?
Dooa recommend the superjet es150 for the mizukusa wall. Have you had any issue running the larger 300 version at all?
I’m guessing not as it grew in beautifully, but just interested as I’m not utilising the dooa neo glass terra 36 with the closed back and sides, I will be using a 60f without the raised back and side panes. I am wondering particularly if you get any overspill round the back of the wall unit due to extra flow that could cause issue without the closed tank?
Thanks
Ady.

Hi Ady,
Happy to help. Nope! I got the ES300 so that I can potentially use it for bigger tanks. I didn't have any issue with overspill. The wall itself has a slit to allow overspill to drain into the tank. This will be water running from the back of the wall itself and will drain along the backside of the wall into the tank. If your water level is all the way to the top in the 60f, you might have some splashing behind the tank...but this will only be an issue at the beginning. Once the wall is fully grown in and the filter gets a bit toned down due to the media / sludge, there are no issues whatsoever. My point was to go for the most biomedia as possible when keeping the setup upgrade-friendly. Let me know if you have any other questions.
V

@VarunA
You could try a 3-day blackout covering the wall with a black trash bag....or adding Spagnhum moss into the top part of the wall.
Blackout would be the easiest option first.
Thanks for the suggestion. :) I'll try sphagnum...I have a lot of live sphagnum in my plant setups. Hopefully it will help. I do have other beneficial bacteria used for hydroponic/plant cultivation indoors, but do not want to impact the shrimp/aquatic inhabitants.

Hi Ady,
Happy to help. Nope! I got the ES300 so that I can potentially use it for bigger tanks. I didn't have any issue with overspill. The wall itself has a slit to allow overspill to drain into the tank. This will be water running from the back of the wall itself and will drain along the backside of the wall into the tank. If your water level is all the way to the top in the 60f, you might have some splashing behind the tank...but this will only be an issue at the beginning. Once the wall is fully grown in and the filter gets a bit toned down due to the media / sludge, there are no issues whatsoever. My point was to go for the most biomedia as possible when keeping the setup upgrade-friendly. Let me know if you have any other questions.
V
Thank you for the reply. Much appreciate the information. I plan on running the 60f about 2” below the rim, so a shallow shallow 😂😂

Back