• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bubble Wall Dilema

Ziabis

I have a 8inch bubble wall on the back wall, along with a circulation pump and a normal
outside power filter...

My quesion is: DO I need the bubble wall at all?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/ ... 0_1791.jpg

The reason I ask, it appears that the fish like it better with the bubble wall OFF... They still swim around
but seem to swim more in the upper levels with the bubble wall off....

What is the BEST scenerio or setup?

This is just my opinion but I would bin it if I were you. It looks pretty looking at the picture but may be doing more harm than good. The fish won't swim in it because the air bubbles will interfere with their normal breathing pattern, and I am sure I read somewhere that the bubbles can burn the skin if they come into contact with them.

Imagine you trying to breath in air that was full of water, the fish are trying to extract oxygen from the water but it is made difficult because of the air bubbles.

I am sure someone will give you a more scientific reason than that but hope it helps.

Steve

REDSTEVEO said:
This is just my opinion but I would bin it if I were you.

I don't follow what you were trying to say in the highlighted area?

I turned the bubble wall off and already they seem to be moving around more all over there environment.

Thank you...

Ziabis said:
REDSTEVEO said:
This is just my opinion but I would bin it if I were you.

I don't follow what you were trying to say in the highlighted area?

Sorry, what I should have said is that I would do away with it altogether, I didn't mean actually throw it in the bin though :D There are uses for these aerators but perhaps not on such a grand scale.

Steve

Hi mate,
Well I certainly would not bin it. You could use it at night though, when it would be more advantageous in any case, and the fish will be resting at the lower levels of the water column. Increasing opinion is that the increased aeration is helpful at night time, especially in heavily planted and CO2 enriched tanks. As well as oxygenation, it also creates surface disturbance and should you get any biofilm on your surface it will help break this up and disperse it. I run an airstone at night for the very purpose.

Is the bubble wall an airstone type or a rubberised one ? New or old ? A newer rubberised one will give finer air bubbles and cause less violent disturbances. I am also not convinced that the bubbles cause fish any breathing issues at all, having had a corydoras once who actively sought to swim through the bubbles at every opportunity, LOL.

I will do that at night. I have not a clue what type of the bubler it is. It does seem to be somewhat flexible.
as for co2 I am using a liquid form twice a week right now... Should it be more, less, what?

Ziabis said:
I will do that at night. I have not a clue what type of the bubler it is. It does seem to be somewhat flexible.
as for co2 I am using a liquid form twice a week right now... Should it be more, less, what?

If its flexible its a rubber bubble wall, which is good IMO as I dont like the solid airstone type ones.. As far as CO2, thats not a question I can answer without a lot more info and you would be best lodging a separate thread in the CO2 sub forum :thumbup:

I agree with Chris. I wouldn't throw it in the bin as you never know when it might come in handy. They are useful if you ever have to medicate the tank as the medication lowers oxygen levels. You could also do what Chris suggested and run it when the lights are off. Simply connect the air pump to a timer and have it turn on when lights are off and then off when the co2 comes on. Also they are useful to use when the weather is very hot because warm water contains less oxygen.

I can vouch that putting air on via an air curtain at the back of the tank, during darkness, certainly improves the cleanlyness of my tank. I assume because it creates different circulations than normal and settled detritus gets moved into water column and taken away by the filter.

Back