• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Buying New or Winging it on eBay

So

I want a bigger tank, looking at 180-400l and finding the costs huge to start considering most of the stuff will be ignored and replaced with better filters/lights/substrate etc

Looking on eBay i can get cheap but they normally seem to come with

* A paint job on the back
* Fish (i dont want the fish)
* Some hardscape i dont want

Is it worth messing with auctions or just buy outright and know you get a clean tank?

It depends sometimes there's dreamy tanks going dirt cheap with all sorts of good equipment, so its best to keep an eye on them, and place a bid of 10-30 quid high than the current price in the hopes its higher than anyone elses if need be. Also most of the time you need a car\van because it's collection only, plus like you said you can get lumbered with un wanted fish. I think it's a hassle and a gamble because all the equipment could be advertised as never been used but really you don't know that un till you try it out your self. The filter might do the job as it should but be a bit louder because it's been used for years just doesn't look it. Anyway you can buy legit new tanks from there so there's not much danger.

I managed to get a tank via eBay, I watched for months to get one that was the right age and condition, luckily the brand (Juwel) added a new veneer colour in the last year so I knew it wasn't years old, a similar trick might be available for the brand your interested in? My back up indicator was that the door handles changed with each upgrade. Not fool proof but helps to understand if seller is being straight - again knowing a bit about the brand / model will help you decide your not getting a lemon. I asked the basic questions such as any scratches / any chemicals used etc but you have to trust the seller is being straight. Their rating can help with this. The tank has been up and running for a few months and I am really happy with it, the shrimp are fine so seller must have been honest about its previous use. Final thought try to buy local because if you travel miles and the seller wasn't totally straight with you, you might just buy it because you travelled!

My seller assured me that there were no scratches but unfortunately this was not the case - I don't know if it was deliberate but even with planning it might not work out 100% for you BUT as I say for the price I paid I am very happy, good luck which ever way you go with it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess, you get what you pay for, and if it seems too good to be true it usually is...I think on balance it depends on what your expectations are, and what you hope to achieve.
Personally, I'd go with new now every time...I'm something of a perfectionist; any faults, no matter how insignificant, would drive me mad, especially when they're not mine:wacky::rolleyes:

Thank you all. I ended up punting a chance on a Rio 125. Got it for 80 quid with stand and its in decent enough shape and is pretty clean. Got some wood on order, need a filter and lights. Can't puzzle out whether this is a t8 or a t5. Im sure T5s were smaller but its been years. Planning on running the tubes and adding in some LEDs. The Chihiros looks good but I can't figure out whether it would fit at 81cm tank length. If it does then I'd ditch the tubes. If now I'll get some cheapo LEDs to go where the flaps are.

IMG_20170603_175758.jpg

Not really decided what to do with it yet or when so I'll start a journal at some point.

Thanks all

Looks like T8 tube. T8s are 8/8th of an inch in diameter and T5s are 5/8th of an inch in diameter. So that's 1 inch T8 and about 1/2 inch T5.

As Ian has said they are t8 but keep the t8 set up if possible even if you go T5/LED .These are more powerful more suited to CO2 set ups ,the T8 would be handy if you ever went easy plant ,low tech

Planning on running the tubes and adding in some LEDs. The Chihiros looks good but I can't figure out whether it would fit at 81cm tank length. If it does then I'd ditch the tubes.

The Chihiros A-Series Plus A601 will fit an 81cm tank length. I have one over an 80cm tank and the arms can be extended further. The rim of the tank needs to be 15mm or less, though.

Back