• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Calzone's new 120x60x45 optiwhite tank build

Calzone said:
Antipofish said:
You could always warm the water using boiled water from the kettle ;)

I can't tell if you're joking or not... As I suggested above, it would take a lot of kettles to make the slightest bit of difference to 150 litres....

If it becomes a pain, I can always get a couple of 25 litre jerry cans and fill 'em the night before.

LOL, the ;) was meant to be the hint :thumbup: OR you can get a commercial Urn :geek:

do hydor external heaterd fit standard hose???

Calzone said:
If it becomes a pain, I can always get a couple of 25 litre jerry cans and fill 'em the night before.

Hi there,
thats what i do, 3 25l jerry cans, cold water, dechlorinator and a 25w heater in each overnight in the garage! Ready to go the next evening. 3 water changes a week is commitment no matter how small they are you still have to get all your gear out and put it all away!! Plus the wife is happy, 1 water change per week and no clutter in the house!
Great journal so far, looking forward to seeing it planted.
Ady.

i've given up putting the stuff away on mine I just put up with an angry missus its less bother.
Having said that though I am going to be doing some hard pipework for the big tank as there's no way I can be bothered bucketing that around

Ady34 said:
Great journal so far, looking forward to seeing it planted.
Ady.

Me too. Just so annoyingly busy at work and at weekends..... Getting there.

Question: if I decide the powerhead is too powerful, is it easy to control the flow by reducing the voltage? As far as I can tell (not in front of me right now but...) the koralias run off 240V. They are compatible with wave makers etc (which presumably work by variable voltage causing flow to go up and down?).

So, if I got a cheap electric fan controller off ebay (300W, 240V, plugs into the socket then you plug the koralia in and set the rate with a knob), would this likely work? Or is my basic electronics knowledge off here and there's some feature of powerhead motors that needs some kind of fancier control method? I just sort of assumed that these things are small fans, and thats' what the fan controllers are designed for.

Might ask in the DIY section too, as long as no-one minds the double posting....

am planning this on the new tank - hope it works!

Photo%2019-01-2012%2015%2056%2053.jpg

will keep you posted

Not tempted to shove a sump in there on the powerhead loop? Also, how do you prime the pump? Probably a good idea to get a set of isolation valves in there either side of the pump a la eheim double taps I reckon. Extra cost but no doubt you'll be pleased you did come maintenance time.

Hows the tank these days calzone....have you planted yet?
Any ideas on what fish you are going to stock......just thinking ahead of my new tank and wondering what your ideas are?
Cheers, Dave.

I am expecting beaucoup de plants tomorrow as it happens. Will try to remember to take pics! Have attached a bunch of ferns to the wood already, though I had to hold these in my other tank for a while and they're not in fabulous shape, but hopefully with time will sort themselves out.

Planting likely to be quite dense, possibly even over the top, but should be fun anyway. Gotta learn what works somehow!

Re fish, I will be transferring the fish from the old tank, these are beginner fish like zebra danios (4), platys (4 adults, many babies), 8 harlequins, 2 otos, 1 cory hastatus (can't find any more locally), various assassin snails and billions of cherry shrimp.

In terms of new fish am thinking penguin tetras, maybe some cardinals or green neons, possibly a few gouramis (maybe opaline or honey), and either apisto agassizi/cacatuoides(?) or kris. I have hard water, so trying not to push my luck, for instance would love rams or electric blue rams but understand these aren't always healthy out of their ideal water conditions. Altums would work in this tank but again water and temp issues plus shrimp eating issues. Angels look great ( at least the nicer patterned ones) but maybe not enough to overcome the compatibility issues. I do like large schools of small dither Fish like cardinals/neons/penguins, but a few larger more interesting fish work too. Oh, and a bristle nose plec. Would love a blue phantom plec but looking at its requirements and size, maybe not.

Starts to look heavy on the stocking, but reckon this will be ok since this is a hitech tank with big water changes and overkill filtration, and the fish are all small. More a question of whether visually its too much.

l128's are no problem to keep as long as your not high ph/very hard water and if you're injecting co2 into your tank it'll bring your ph down anyway so it'll be just fine it will however eat most of your plants as will a BN :)

I don't have any carpet plants like glosso or HC as I am super low tech but my Blue Phantom doesn't really dig in the substrate not like my Leopard frog plecs do!

Just to tempt you in .......

100_0810.jpg

Andy

Calzone said:
In terms of new fish am thinking penguin tetras, maybe some cardinals or green neons

I know you were in the Greenmachine before......did you see the Green Neons in Nature's Chaos tank....A massive shoal and they looked very impressive all staying together.

Sadly not, all done over the phone.... But have seen the videos.

Planting today, probably 6-7 hours with all the unwrapping and rock wool faff. Pretty sure my java ferns died from dry out during the process despite frequent spraying. Putting the tank back together was a pain too. It's the fishKEEPING bit I like, not the "oh you blahblahblahblahblahblahblah vallis, will you just stay in the soil" bits.

Pics tomorrow maybe. Assuming the plants aren't all floating at the surface by then...

Calzone said:
Sadly not, all done over the phone.... But have seen the videos.

Planting today, probably 6-7 hours with all the unwrapping and rock wool faff. Pretty sure my java ferns died from dry out during the process despite frequent spraying. Putting the tank back together was a pain too. It's the fishKEEPING bit I like, not the "oh you xxxx vallis, will you just stay in the soil" bits.

Pics tomorrow maybe. Assuming the plants aren't all floating at the surface by then...

Lol, I hear you on that one Nick. What a pain planting can be. Did the prefilter arrive ?

thanks for the beer gas tip. will be going to slyfield to grab a nice big bottle. not going to fit under my tank though. three times the volume of gas for 7 pounds less than my fe:) might have to cut the bottle in half in order to hide under tank.....

Back