• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

can we achieve stable PH w/o PH controller ??!

Ahmad

Hello Everyone,

Can we achieve stable PH level without PH controller ? and how if yes ?!

Thank you.

why do you want to control your pH? just let your water stabilize at water ever pH it wants to, then you'll have your stable(ish) pH.

I saw lots of planted tanks with PH controller to keep the PH around 6.7 !
I don't know is the stable PH around that number effect the plants ?!

pH doesn't really effect anything, it won't effect plants and it won't effect fish as long as your water is 'clean'.

The drop of pH in a planted tank is usually down to inject co2 not by adding chemicals. But still a pH of 6.7 doesn't really mean anything.

I think you need to specify why you want to control ph, then people can advice you better.

Actually I saw beautiful tank with very healthy plants in LFS, so i asked about it and what they are doing to achieve like that healthy plants!
nothing special except the PH controller and as the guy said stable PH is main factor in the planted tank.
also the PH controller linked with the regulator to control the Co2.
As I understood that PH controller use the Co2 to control PH level, but also As understood reduce the PH that not mean there is good amount of co2 in the water since there are many factors can reduce the PH not just the co2.
so 6.7 PH level maybe not mean 30ppm co2 ?? right ?
I don't know why they use that PH controller but at the end I think that guy he want just to sell the PH controller :)

they are probably using the controller to control co2 injection ,and its the added co2 that's making the plants grow lush as has been said by ender above the ph is not the critical factor . the lfs is probably just measuring the alteration in ph as co2 is absorbed by the water :)

yes, but is that PH controller worth to use it ? if there is already co2 injection turn on during the light plus the drop checker for co2 indicator !!

You need to read this relating CO2 in ppm and hardness off water.
http://www.tropica.com/en/tropica-abc/basic-knowledge/co2-in-the-aquarium.aspx

So yes you can use a pH controller to control CO2 to known level, BUT you need to know the carbonate hardness (dKH) of your water first.

This is where the issue occurs. dKH test kits don't actually measure dKH they measure the pH related to dKH (alkalinity). Other things also affect pH, fish poo, rotting plants etc, so measuring dKH using a test kit can't really be relied on.

However, if you really insist on using a pH controller it can be used to control CO2 aiming for a drop of 1.0 pH, regardless of you waters dKH and initial pH.

Much better is just use a drop checker, that is isolated from the tank, via an air gap, as this will read (after and hour or two) the CO2 level much more accurately. Oh and is cheaper.

Dropchecker is slow, but can work.
I use my pH probe to see in a sec if my CO2 is working, because i see at what pH the tank is.
To ascertain wether CO2 is plenty the probe/pen helps to see if you get a sufficient drop related to your KH.
So if your tank looks good and you dont have any problems you dont "need" a probe/pen.

Dropchecker is slow, but can work.
I use my pH probe to see in a sec if my CO2 is working, because i see at what pH the tank is.
To ascertain wether CO2 is plenty the probe/pen helps to see if you get a sufficient drop related to your KH.
So if your tank looks good and you dont have any problems you dont "need" a probe/pen.

I gave up trying to measure my pH as I could have up to a 0.5ph spread depending on where of the surface I placed the pen.

Back