• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can't grow anything, not even algae!

zoon

Help this newbie guys, because I can't grow anything, not even a spot of algae!

I have a 120 juwel lido with the t8 lights it came with (2 x 24W I do believe) they are on between 4 and 10pm. Planted in there are mini Java fern, Java moss, blyxa, various crypts and some hygrophila. But nothing is growing. The blyxa is slowly fading, the leaves on the hygro are coming away and the rest just seem static.

I am dosing liquid carbon (5ml per day) and alternating potassium nitrate (1/4 teaspoon) and potassium phosphate (1/8 teaspoon) with trace elements (1/8 teaspoon) with big water change on weekend as advised by helpful people on here, but nothing is happening!

My substrate is a gravel and sand mix, whine I know isn't perfect, but I can't change it. The water is always crystal clean and there isn't a spot of algae so I must be doing something right! The fish are looking fab and are very active

So wise people, what am I doing wrong?

And your magnesium is coming from.....

Add required EI doses of magnesium sulphate. Done.

And your magnesium is coming from.....

Add required EI doses of magnesium sulphate. Done.

I know this sounds random ... :) Long story short one member on different forum advice this as my water have huge amount of Ca and almost no Mg. He said that I have such a huge different ratio between Ca and Mg that my plants getting poisoned and Ca preventing them to take any Mg. I took his advice and started to dose Mg as well as I dose 12g of epson salt on water change to bring the ratio of Ca to at least normal.

My plants recovered and started to grow...I know everyone has different water ....

Will give it a go. It was someone on here who said it just needed the above two salts. How much should I add?

How does the amount if liquid carbon and hours of light look?

That's too confusing! I have a little 1/4 teaspoon measure that I use - whole one of potassium nitrate and quarter of potassium phosphate. How much of mag sulphate if I want to go via my measure?

Back