• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Caribsea Samurai Soil?

Does it not limit the growth of heavy root feeders
Well well well, do I have the post for you!
Eriocaulon quinqunagulare is always said to be a heavy root feeder. But it seems to do just fine in sand.
Can one really still achieve a world class dutch style scape with just sand alone? Does it not limit the growth of heavy root feeders
👍 yes. World class Dutch tanks, here you go. Joe Harvey’s 2020 entry that won second place in AGA.
Do you guys use root tabs or routinely add any nutes to the sand?
Nope, and I know hufsa doesn’t either. Not sure about @Wookii though.
What are other negatives to this approach? Is
I can’t think of many to be honest🤔
I moved over a dozen species from aqua soil to sand and almost every species is doing well, and some are actually doing better. The one exception is Ammannia pedicellata, that is a picky one. Still haven’t got it to grow well in sand.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have <"another link for you">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks again Darrel, I have a read👍. Man, there really isn't enough hours in the day to learn lol. I can see why people that have been in this hobby for years or even decades are still learning new things every day. Super interesting and rewarding albeit bottomless rabbit hole of a hobby...

This is the place I have been reading about it so far. Think it's a reliable and up to date source?

Do you guys use root tabs or routinely add any nutes to the sand?

I have to admit to adding a nutrient rich layer (or perhaps better described as a nutrient absorbing layer) beneath the sand, mainly comprised of peat, clay and other high CEC material. However I also have to admit that I'm not entirely sure I need it.

I tend to take the view that if it's not required, it won't do any harm being there either.

I'm mainly growing crypts etc in it, not stems like the other guys, and I have found crypts seem to grow even better in sand than they do in plain aquasoil. I'm not sure why.

I have to admit to adding a nutrient rich layer (or perhaps better described as a nutrient absorbing layer) beneath the sand, mainly comprised of peat, clay and other high CEC material. However I also have to admit that I'm not entirely sure I need it.

I tend to take the view that if it's not required, it won't do any harm being there either.

I'm mainly growing crypts etc in it, not stems like the other guys, and I have found crypts seem to grow even better in sand than they do in plain aquasoil. I'm not sure why.
For my Low tech, I used kitty litter. Seems to have most of the benefits of soil without the drawbacks!

Well well well, do I have the post for you!
Eriocaulon quinqunagulare is always said to be a heavy root feeder. But it seems to do just fine in sand.
Wow, that's pretty impressive PND, thanks for the link👍. But, would they do better with heavy root fertilization as well?
👍 yes. World class Dutch tanks, here you go. Joe Harvey’s 2020 entry that won second place in AGA.
There isnt very much information there. It says nothing about his fert routines or if he uses anything under the BDBS. Also, that tank's plants look inferior to others I have seen with aquasoil including about every tank in Dennis Wong's gallery. Still a very nice tank however.
It's definitely nice to know success can be had with just sand and also that a couple of nice folks are having it😊. Again though, would the growth be better/faster with regular root fertilization as well?
I can’t think of many to be honest🤔
I moved over a dozen species from aqua soil to sand and almost every species is doing well, and some are actually doing better. The one exception is Ammannia pedicellata, that is a picky one. Still haven’t got it to grow well in sand.
I can clearly see that sand is a great option and grows most plants just fine by itself. That said, I just can't throw out the dozens of times I have read from very prominent(and some world class) aquacapers that going to aquasoil or sand capped rich terrestrial soil was game changing for them. Many say the same results can not be had without and have come to that conclusion by testing both extensively too.

Knowing this, I think when I try sand as a substrate(it will be coarse sand if I do) I will be using either the Walstad method or putting a thin layer(or mesh bag filled portions) of high CEC media under it thoroughly infused with a conbination of NPK+TE or quality root tabs. And, I will top up the nutrients with a homade solution(likely thickened with gelatin or something) from a long syringe(deposited directly to the bottom glass into the high CEC media) or just add root tabs every 1-3 months(depending on what I choose). I just don't see any harm in covering both bases(water column and root fertilization) and it doesn't cost a whole lot to add nutes to the root bed really. If there is plant growth improvement to be had I think it's worth the effort but, everyones mileage may vary of course. For my first real tank I am shooting for the absolute fastest and highest quality plant growth possible and I just think covering all bases gives the best chance of success.

Wow, that's pretty impressive PND, thanks for the link👍. But, would they do better with heavy root fertilization as well?
I just showed you that there was minimal difference in my tank wether plants were fed at roots+column vs column only.
uses anything under the BDBS.
nothing under BDBS. But rich column dosing. You can see more details at TPT.

“Dosing routine hasnt really changed. 80-90% water change every 6-7 days, then front load 25/9/35ish + 5 Mg. Micros at .17 Fe 3x week. All tanks get pretty much the same routine.”

He uses aquasoil in some tanks, sand in most. I believe in the aqua soil tanks he uses acid dosing to lower KH.

inferior to others I have seen with aquasoil including about every tank in Dennis Wong's gallery
inferior how? The plants look good to me, and they are all very simple species. I think almost any species will do incredibly in sand substrate.
do) I will be using either the Walstad method or putting a thin layer(or mesh bag filled portions) of high CEC media under it thoroughly infused with a conbination of NPK+TE or quality root tabs. And, I will top up the nutrients with a homade solution(likely thickened with gelatin or
It seems to me like you want a heavily planted Dutch/stem tank? If so I can’t recommend mineralised top soil the way walstad does. In her tanks that plants very rarely get uprooted it works, in a heavily planted high tech? It all just starts to fall apart and go south.

And I can’t recommend root tabs either.
See these threads

I think instead of nutrients a lot of the time it is more productive to think about co2, flow and tank cleanliness+husbandry. In my opinion sand is the best way to keep a tank clean and maintain good plants. In my experience aquasoil needs extensive maintenance to keep clean.

I just showed you that there was minimal difference in my tank wether plants were fed at roots+column vs column only.
Oh, I didn't read the whole thread, just the post you quoted. I assumed you just had one set in aqua and one in sand and only column ferts for both. My bad.
nothing under BDBS. But rich column dosing. You can see more details at TPT.

“Dosing routine hasnt really changed. 80-90% water change every 6-7 days, then front load 25/9/35ish + 5 Mg. Micros at .17 Fe 3x week. All tanks get pretty much the same routine.”

He uses aquasoil in some tanks, sand in most. I believe in the aqua soil tanks he uses acid dosing to lower KH.
Thanks for the added info👍.
inferior how? The plants look good to me, and they are all very simple species. I think almost any species will do incredibly in sand substrate.
Just the growth doesn't look as lush but, maybe I just don't like the style of the tank.

Again, I have read so many times that you just can't get the same results with inert. Dennis Wong and several other prominent voices in the industry say this. I have trouble not believing them as it's not like they sell aquasoil. They have tried it both ways and say they get faster and better growth with aquasoil. It's even right in Dennis's FAQs.

That said, I have no experience and am new to the hobby so who knows(this hobby is more confusing then any I have tried before and there have been many over the years lol). I am just trying to build the best tank I possibly can to achieve a world class aquascape with as little trouble as possible. That is part of the reason why I waited months to get a big tank, I wanted to learn as much as I can first to help achieve success. I am now less then a month from getting my new tank.
It seems to me like you want a heavily planted Dutch/stem tank? If so I can’t recommend mineralised top soil the way walstad does. In her tanks that plants very rarely get uprooted it works, in a heavily planted high tech? It all just starts to fall apart and go south.
Honestly I am not fully sure yet as my desires evolve with knowledge lol. It will definitely be heavily planted with a large variety of plants from easy to hard, use Mountain Stone & Spider Wood for hardscape(already been soaking for over a month), will get a daily EI Dosing regimen, will use CO2 controlled by a pH controller, and will have a full stocking of fish, shrimp, and snails once it settles in. Other then that it's all evolving and is still up in the air. One thing is for certain, I will be making mistakes, moving things, and learning as I go so you are probably right in staying away from a Walstad. Oh, and I am loving stem plants so it will definitely have several of them including some hard to grow ones.
And I can’t recommend root tabs either.
See these threads
Well, I have been using them for 1.5 months(Edit, I forgot that's when I started the tanks, not when I changed them to planted) and don't plan to stop(I have a bunch too). I may one day be sold on column only dosing but, at this point all my scrapes with be built with root tab infused Substrate. I just like the idea of covering both bases(root and column) and considering its not crazy expensive to do so and may add a benefit, I'm ok with it for now.
I think instead of nutrients a lot of the time it is more productive to think about co2, flow and tank cleanliness+husbandry.
Oh I am heavily researching them too and keep a very clean tank. I just am trying to finalize my plan for my big tank as I have to order all of the supplies in the next month or so. Substrate is still a very hard decision for me. I was pretty sold on aquasoil but, am still considering other options because of the info I am getting from kind folks like you. I just really want the best canvas I can possibly build, I am a bit anal/OCD that way.
In my opinion sand is the best way to keep a tank clean and maintain good plants. In my experience aquasoil needs extensive maintenance to keep clean.
That is good to know. You guys definitely have me reconsidering my decision to go with Aquasoil. What exactly was required or different with the aquasoil? It seams like the large pellets would be easy to vacuum or one could just let the detritus feed the plants no? I'm using Seachem Flourite Black in all of my tanks now and it is not great for keeping clean but, I just kind of fluff the bottom with the syphon hose and then suck up the disturbed detritus. I just did it this morning and am able to keep it pretty clean. The biggest downside is I need a screen on my pickup as if I am not careful enough I suck a bit up from time to time and it clogs my ball valve.

Thanks for all of your help PND, it is much appreciated and is helping me further understand things and make more educated decisions. I will be starting a Journal for my new build in a few weeks when my tank gets here. Please feel free to follow and chime in👍.

Last edited:
Can one really still achieve a world class dutch style scape with just sand alone? Does it not limit the growth of heavy root feeders?
Do they exist any "heavy root feeders"? Strong roots do not indicate any 'preference' for root feeding. Strong roots are an adaptation:
(1) to get attached to the bottom in a strong current, or
(2) to take up CO2 through roots, or
(3) to reach nutrients in nutrient-poor environment, or
(4) in the case of species which definitely intend to grow above water surface and thus not taking much nutrients from water column and in need to get firmly anchored in the sediment.
It's the case No. (2). I'm not surprised at all that your Eriocaulons do better in silica sand, they live in oligotrophic waters.
a nutrient rich layer (or perhaps better described as a nutrient absorbing layer) beneath the sand, mainly comprised of peat, clay and other high CEC material. However I also have to admit that I'm not entirely sure I need it.
That's it: a nutrient binding matter. Detritus, clays, ferric (hydr)oxides, and zeolites are materials which bind certain elements. While there are other elements which are never (or seldom) bound to the sediment.
I used kitty litter. Seems to have most of the benefits of soil without the drawbacks!
That's one of the possibilities.
I've been experimenting with sand additives quite intensely a few years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't arrived at any conclusive results. With one important exception: I consider easily degradable organic matter a clear mistake, a serious drawback of many so called 'aquasoils'.
If you establish a tank with clean sand, it gets enriched with detritus within a few weeks. That's about it. I've tried to enhance it, but without noticeable results. I've studied much theory, but in practice it didn't work.
So my private opinion is that all those "substrates" bring benefits solely to their vendors.

It seams like the large pellets would be easy to vacuum or one could just let the detritus feed the plants no?
Imma chime in again since I am a card-carrying member of Team Sand 😆 Although I still think you could/should go for Aquasoil on your first time for reasons I have mentioned before, and get it out of your system so to speak. I might offend some if I refer to soil as training wheels in this instance, so I wont 😜 The soil will buffer mistakes in dosing and keep the plant fed in both ends though, its just a pain to deal with it. The main problem the way I see it is that while the granules are large, they are not particularly sturdy and do not take kindly to being "handled" much at all. Pretty much any activity is going to knock loose soil particles from the soil balls, because aquarium soil is basically just lightly hardened black dirt balls. So they produce a lot of tiny dirt particles. Every time you uproot a plant there will be either a small or a very large cloud of dirt coming up with it depending on how much root the plant has and your technique. What some of the pros dont show much of is how dirty this process is, some have a separate canister filter they fill with floss just to vacuum up this cloud of dirt when they need to pull out a plant group. And a water change right after (if you dont already run a hose out right while youre uprooting) is pretty much mandatory because its not just visible particles that come up, but invisible substances as well like ammonia. And since the soil particles are quite large, debris easily falls deep into the substrate instead of going to a prefilter where its more easily removed. Letting it stay there is not usually recommend for a nosebleed CO2 high tech tank that needs to avoid organics and algae at all costs. So you need to regularly get the debris out again without actually agitating the soil granules too much. They also naturally break down over time and with disturbances like uprooting and replanting, adding greatly to the dark brown cloud that comes up when vacuuming. If you need to pull up more than a few groups of plants your visibility might get closer to zero, which is a bit of a pain when replanting. I tore up my year+ of undisturbed sand a little while ago, and while there were a light amount of particles, there wasn't nearly as much as there would have been from just a few months in a soil tank. Lastly the soil doesn't retain its properties forever, and depending on how hard you drive your tank to grow, you could see yourself needing to replenish the soil with root tabs or adding new soil sooner than you might imagine. Theres no denying the indications we have seen so far that some plants seem to prefer being fed both with root and leaf. Some people like the added challenge of growing in inert to get "the direct feedback from the plants on dosing" and for the added challenge (plantnoobdude). Some use inert because they are quite lazy and very stubborn and want to do things their own way (me). Youve got to find what works for you, but the way i see it youre really keen to get "this thing" perfect on the first try, and i wonder if you dont go for soil now, you will always wonder "what could have been". You can always get fed up with the mess and join team sand later should you choose to 😉 The entry fee is quite moderate compared to soil 😁
Hope this was unhelpful 😘:lol:

. I am now less then a month from getting my new tank
Exciting!
Thanks for all of your help PND, it
Absolutely no problem, gives me something to do when bored and helping others is just a bonus🤣
seams like the large pellets would be easy to vacuum or one
in the end no, aquasoil just traps detritus and overtime unless you’re running lowlight it becomes troublesome. With fine sand the detritus stays on top and you can vacuum it later.

They also naturally break down over time and with disturbances like uprooting and replanting, adding greatly to
This!
When I used to rescape my tank with aquasoil I needed to do it over several days, since the cloudiness was so bad and visibility was about 0.
Do they exist any "heavy root feeders"? Strong roots do not indicate any 'preference' for root feeding. Strong roots are an adaptation:
(1) to get attached to the bottom in a strong current, or
(2) to take up CO2 through roots, or
(3) to reach nutrients in nutrient-poor environment, or
(4) in the case of species which definitely intend to grow above water surface and thus not taking much nutrients from water column and in need to get firmly anchored in the sediment.

It's the case No. (2). I'm not surprised at all that your Eriocaulons do better in silica sand, they live in oligotrophic waters.

That's it: a nutrient binding matter. Detritus, clays, ferric (hydr)oxides, and zeolites are materials which bind certain elements. While there are other elements which are never (or seldom) bound to the sediment.

That's one of the possibilities.
I've been experimenting with sand additives quite intensely a few years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't arrived at any conclusive results. With one important exception: I consider easily degradable organic matter a clear mistake, a serious drawback of many so called 'aquasoils'.
If you establish a tank with clean sand, it gets enriched with detritus within a few weeks. That's about it. I've tried to enhance it, but without noticeable results. I've studied much theory, but in practice it didn't work.
So my private opinion is that all those "substrates" bring benefits solely to their vendors.
Wonderful post!

Hi all,
I'm not surprised at all that your Eriocaulons do better in silica sand, they live in oligotrophic waters.
I think this is a very valid point, we wouldn't try and grow Orchids and Tomatoes in <"the same conditions">, so why should "one size fits all" work for aquatic plants?
....... I'm not interested in "maximal" or "optimal", I want sustainable stability.
Low nutrient levels give you stability, as an analogy you can think of this as the orchid, bromeliad, fern, succulent or alpine growing approach, it is aimed at growing plants with low potential growth rates in nutrient poor conditions.
On my allotment I add fertilisers and do a lot of weeding. In the garden I practice nutrient deprivation on lawns, borders and pond, the outcome of this is that I don't do any weeding and only occasionally have to mow the lawn.....
If I wanted to grow a lot of <"Cyperus papyrus quickly">, or grow a <"Victoria amazonica Water-lily from seed">? Then I would use a <"nutritious substrate, "reef bright" lighting and all the heat"> I could find. This is what @plantbrain (Tom Barr) <"says">.
Adding ferts into the sediment is a no brainer. Many balk at ADA aqua soil, but it's just rice paddy clay, we have hectares of it. In pot test I did at the lab, the ADA did the same as the Clay loam rice paddy soil with 4 weedy aquatic species. My old reservation is having 2 layers of sediment, I just do not like that part, but many are fine with it. I can wiggle my way around that by using ADA AS in a non CO2 tank also though
It is like @Tim Harrison shows in his <"The Soil Substrate or Dirted Planted Tank - A How to Guide"> or Diana Walstad in the <"Ecology of the Planted Aquarium"> a nutrient rich substrate can offer real advantages if you want a successful tank quickly.
..... Unfortunately, I haven't arrived at any conclusive results. With one important exception: I consider easily degradable organic matter a clear mistake, a serious drawback of many so called 'aquasoils'.
If you establish a tank with clean sand, it gets enriched with detritus within a few weeks. That's about it. I've tried to enhance it, but without noticeable results....
Same for me, <"a low nutrient substrate"> and then leave it alone. It isn't very exciting, but it gives you <"long term stability">.

I know <"I've linked it in before"> but this is what Stephan Tanner says <"Aquarium Biofiltration - SWISSTROPICALS">.

cheers Darrel

I'm a sand convert too!
1666446595156.png

..and here is a recent picture of the sand people... From left to right; I believe its @Hufsa @Wookii and @plantnoobdude.

Cheers,
Michael

I like how this thread @FISHnLAB started has turned from question about yet another commercial "golden solution" to very informative thread about one of the cheapest (if not free at all) alternatives - simply a sand. You guys are amazing!
..Sand People are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers. - Obi-Wan
...music intensifies...

Last edited:
Imma chime in again since I am a card-carrying member of Team Sand 😆
Thanks Hufsa, your posts are always so helpful and this one may be the best one yet, super helpful👍.
Although I still think you could/should go for Aquasoil on your first time for reasons I have mentioned before, and get it out of your system so to speak. I might offend some if I refer to soil as training wheels in this instance, so I wont 😜
Lol, training wheels🤣.
The soil will buffer mistakes in dosing and keep the plant fed in both ends though, its just a pain to deal with it.
This is not a problem as I am super anal/OCD, and enjoy dosing daily. I also have a healthy supply of root tabs.
The main problem the way I see it is that while the granules are large, they are not particularly sturdy and do not take kindly to being "handled" much at all. Pretty much any activity is going to knock loose soil particles from the soil balls, because aquarium soil is basically just lightly hardened black dirt balls. So they produce a lot of tiny dirt particles. Every time you uproot a plant there will be either a small or a very large cloud of dirt coming up with it depending on how much root the plant has and your technique. What some of the pros dont show much of is how dirty this process is, some have a separate canister filter they fill with floss just to vacuum up this cloud of dirt when they need to pull out a plant group. And a water change right after (if you dont already run a hose out right while youre uprooting) is pretty much mandatory because its not just visible particles that come up, but invisible substances as well like ammonia. And since the soil particles are quite large, debris easily falls deep into the substrate instead of going to a prefilter where its more easily removed. Letting it stay there is not usually recommend for a nosebleed CO2 high tech tank that needs to avoid organics and algae at all costs. So you need to regularly get the debris out again without actually agitating the soil granules too much. They also naturally break down over time and with disturbances like uprooting and replanting, adding greatly to the dark brown cloud that comes up when vacuuming. If you need to pull up more than a few groups of plants your visibility might get closer to zero, which is a bit of a pain when replanting. I tore up my year+ of undisturbed sand a little while ago, and while there were a light amount of particles, there wasn't nearly as much as there would have been from just a few months in a soil tank. Lastly the soil doesn't retain its properties forever, and depending on how hard you drive your tank to grow, you could see yourself needing to replenish the soil with root tabs or adding new soil sooner than you might imagine.
All good information thank you. It definitely sounds like more of a pain then I had imagined. In fact, I had wrongly assumed aquasoil would be best for frequent uprooting(a property I really would like). I was definitely wrong and now see that gravel, coarse sand, and fine sand are probably all better for this. I definitely have some thinking to do... 😔
Theres no denying the indications we have seen so far that some plants seem to prefer being fed both with root and leaf.
Yes, I adhere to this belief(without any first had experience that is). I definitely plan to use a combination of column and root fertilization at least until my first hand experience dictates otherwise.
Some people like the added challenge of growing in inert to get "the direct feedback from the plants on dosing" and for the added challenge (plantnoobdude).
I definitely am not there yet. I plan to use EI methodology at first and may one day get there though.
Some use inert because they are quite lazy and very stubborn and want to do things their own way (me).
Well, that is definitely me😊. I just haven't had enough experience yet to find "my way".
Youve got to find what works for you, but the way i see it youre really keen to get "this thing" perfect on the first try, and i wonder if you dont go for soil now, you will always wonder "what could have been".
You are right on the mark Hufsa. That is entirely possible and I thank you for bringing this possibility to my attention. I am kind of operating from a... Do as much research as possible, buy the best I can afford, and design the best thought out system I can so if I fail it is all on me angle. That said, you guys are making me serious consider whether aquasoil is the right choice for me. It's hard to not look at all of your, and others in the threads, experience and the fact that you all moved on from aquasoil. That you evolved past it and still have nice tanks with less trouble and silt lol.
You can always get fed up with the mess and join team sand later should you choose to 😉
I will definitely be joining team sand at some point as I have a need/want to try different substrates for my own wisdom. That said, you are serious making me consider trying first before aquasoil or maybe even a combination of the two(think AS in the back and sand in the foreground).
The entry fee is quite moderate compared to soil 😁
Yes, it sure is. I'm looking at several hundred dollars to fill my new tank with it. It's not hard to want to look at other option lol.
Hope this was unhelpful 😘:lol:
Maybe more helpful then any post I have ever read on this topic. So helpful. I appreciate it so much. You and others are really helping me wade through the weeds so to speak and hopefully get to a winning setup without making so many mistakes and taking much time to gain wisdom. I can't thank you enough🙂.

Exciting!
Extremely, this plan started nearly 4 months ago so it's been a long time coming. I can't wait! 😁
Absolutely no problem, gives me something to do when bored and helping others is just a bonus🤣
It's really appreciated, thank you again👍.
in the end no, aquasoil just traps detritus and overtime unless you’re running lowlight it becomes troublesome. With fine sand the detritus stays on top and you can vacuum it later.
Good to know.
This!
When I used to rescape my tank with aquasoil I needed to do it over several days, since the cloudiness was so bad and visibility was about 0.
That is not cool. I really thought it was less trouble than this.
Wonderful post!
Yes, I am so glad she posted it. It was immensely helpful and has really given me some hard thinking to do.

I like how this thread @FISHnLAB started has turned from question about yet another commercial "golden solution" to very informative thread about one of the cheapest (if not free at all) alternatives - simply a sand. You guys are amazing!

...music intensifies...

I too am happy with how this thread has evolved. It really has me thinking about my plan.

I have both aquasoil and sand in my main tank and have plants thriving in both.

The one thing I will say (having learned from experience) is that if you do both then spend as much time and effort as it takes creating a clear separation (with hardscape, bits of rock and planting etc) and plug your holes thoroughly, especially if you are going to bank the substrate up.!

As I have both shrimp (who love re-arranging aquasoil) and SAE’s (who do super charged rocket stuff just above ground level) I’m not sure I ever had much chance of keeping the two separated but still…..I would do a lot more work on this next time around.

The aquasoil on my sand drives me nuts and I have to siphon some off on every single water change.

And also here, as an example:
This is my shrimp/snail tank. It’s not designed to be pretty, hasn’t been properly scaped (yet) and I don’t bother tidying up….but look at all this soil. (The hoards have just been fed - snails everywhere 😂)
E1E9784F-C7C6-48F2-8A4F-2342E4AF6243.jpeg

And yet the only aquasoil in the tank is up behind these rocks so very well tucked away. (I thought)
862BD7D3-4742-42EB-963A-47086AD18E4B.jpeg

This tank has never had a single plant uprooted in it. Either the snails are re-landscaping 😂 or the movement of soil is pretty much entirely down to the shrimpy inhabitants.

So just be aware that a mix can become a mix….more than you would like it to. 😊

Thanks Hufsa, your posts are always so helpful and this one may be the best one yet, super helpful👍
Ah im glad it didnt just come across as a lengthy doomsday-esque ramble about the naughty black spheres :lol:
This is not a problem as I am super anal/OCD, and enjoy dosing daily.
I did get this impression 😆 Dont worry there are more of us so youre in good company 😅 The key is not letting it take over completely

It definitely sounds like more of a pain then I had imagined. In fact, I had wrongly assumed aquasoil would be best for frequent uprooting(a property I really would like).
Yes this was one of the points I wanted to clarify so you didnt get a big surprise later on, inert substrates are superior for uprooting stuff with minimal mess, thats just a fact.
While I dont really participate a lot in the hardcore aquascaping side of the hobby, I have noticed that a lot of beginners are quite surprised to discover aspects of the hobby that do not get touched on much at all by the quite glossy images and videos that are found on youtube, instagram etc. Theres a very large amount of pictures of beautiful plants and scapes, and very little of dirt and grime, stunted or unhappy plants with the confused aquarist, unexpected algae outbreaks and various other stuff. I think it doesnt help the matter that a 30 minute long video of someone scrubbing pipes and hoses while cursing under their breath doesnt make for quite as captivating viewing as beautiful pearling plants and shoaling fish.

You are right on the mark Hufsa. That is entirely possible and I thank you for bringing this possibility to my attention. I am kind of operating from a... Do as much research as possible, buy the best I can afford, and design the best thought out system I can so if I fail it is all on me angle. That said, you guys are making me serious consider whether aquasoil is the right choice for me. It's hard to not look at all of your, and others in the threads, experience and the fact that you all moved on from aquasoil. That you evolved past it and still have nice tanks with less trouble and silt lol.
Since I am hoping your first high tech tank turns out the way you want it to and that you get to enjoy this hobby for many years to come, I feel like I should warn you about something.
I have seen a fair amount of times that the ones who do the most prep work and have the highest expectations for their brand new high tech tank, are the ones who take it the absolutely hardest when something goes either a little or very wrong with their new tank. Sort of like the higher up you are the harder the fall will be. Some people get really lucky, have a minimally painful maturation phase and glide smoothly past all the obstacles that life can throw at a tank. But the majority will run into some problem or another. Many tanks will have at least one or two types of algae that their system is prone to getting. Being prepared for "sh*t to hit the fan" at some point, may help with the shock when the high tech tank that was many months of planning and saving, many hours of scaping, gluing and planting, slowly but surely starts deviating from the proceedings outlined by all the youtube videos. Im not saying it 100% will happen to you, but it makes it a bit easier if you know about it in advance.

I will definitely be joining team sand at some point as I have a need/want to try different substrates for my own wisdom. That said, you are serious making me consider trying first before aquasoil
Thats one of the things I like the most about this hobby, to try out different approaches and methods and see which ones work for me and my tank. I think you will enjoy it a lot too, theres a lot of different branches of the hobby to deep dive into :geek:
While we have a few sand users participating in this thread, the majority of aquascapers and planted tank keepers do use aquasoil or some sort of enriched substrate as you already know. Many scapers are more interested in creating the scape that they envision in their minds, and arent necessarily interested in knowing more about fertilizer, growing rare or difficult plants, or getting really deep into all of the aspects of how a tank works. For them aquasoil and some sort of well known premade fertilizer is what makes the most sense, so they can spend less time on growing plants and more time on shaping the scape into how they want it to be. They usually trim off the top of the plants more than they uproot and replant the tops, the former technique is easier, takes less time and makes less of a mess substrate wise. But a group of stemplants can only be trimmed so many times until the old growth starts to deteriorate too much, and uprooting and replanting to restart the group is needed.
Some stemplants do not tolerate or tolerate poorly to be trimmed from the top. These need to be uprooted every time and length trimmed from the bottom. Aquascapers dont usually use these species of plants, probably because its too much hassle. Keep in mind that many pro aquascapes only run for less than a year before being taken down and rescaped. Usually this means that they are broken down before the soil becomes too depleted or silty.
Dutch aquascapes are a notably different kind, here very minimal hardscape is used, and the focus is on growing an underwater garden of plants growing to their fullest potential. Uprooting is much more common in this style, and here sand or fine gravel substrates becomes more common, and I dont think it is by chance.

or maybe even a combination of the two(think AS in the back and sand in the foreground).
Basically what @KirstyF said. Sand and soil is commonly done, and commonly complained about :lol: They just really want to mix together!

Yes, it sure is. I'm looking at several hundred dollars to fill my new tank with it. It's not hard to want to look at other option lol.
Dang in that case sand looks a lot stronger of an option.. especially since you are having such trouble sourcing non-crappy options for soil.
Im actually not a convert to sand, I have used sand all along (unlike some of these pretenders 😏 :lol: jk ) but experimented with using soil in pots to see if there was difference in growth.
With being used to sand from before, I was very unimpressed with how little handling aquasoil could take, and how messy it was.
But I have never run a high tech tank with all soil, that needs to be clear.
I personally dislike the look of aquasoil as well, but I have thought about eventually switching my tank over to aquasoil contained in something and capped with sand.
But the more I try to work out how to do it the more annoyed I become with the concept, I would want the roots to be able to reach the soil, but the soil must absolutely not come up through the sand, and the plants I keep frequently need uprooting. So I am actually thinking right now I might stay with only sand indefinitely. Our dearest @Wookii is going with something-or-other capped with sand on his new spaceship tank, so I was thinking I would wait and see how it goes for him.
One pro about going with sand first in your case would be the much lower cost upfront.

Maybe more helpful then any post I have ever read on this topic. So helpful. I appreciate it so much. You and others are really helping me wade through the weeds so to speak and hopefully get to a winning setup without making so many mistakes and taking much time to gain wisdom. I can't thank you enough🙂.
Gosh you'll make us all blush 😊

I cant tell you definitely that you will be able to grow every species of plant in plain sand. I dont have the experience or the evidence to support such a claim.
Also, while I have many years of experience using sand in a fish tank (closing in on 20 years now[Edit] forgot about a ~5 year hiatus, so make that ~15 years), I have only a couple years of experience in seriously growing plants, and the step to CO2 injected I took only just february this year. I will also say im not super good at it yet, I grow some things ok but some are still a struggle and I still have a few algae issues :) So definitely not a super pro like Dennis Wong etc. Basically I dont want you to give my words more weight than they deserve. Plantnoobdude is a much better source for which plants can grow in plain sand, hes got a couple of species going that I still struggle with figuring out. He's also a dirty cheater who uses RO water 😁, which may or may not make things a bit easier (jury is still out).

The con for you going with sand right off the bat would be that you are thrown right into the deep end if you decide you want to keep all the difficult stemplant species.
Especially within the family of plants Lythraceae there are some plants that seem to struggle a lot with being fed only through the leaf.
If you havent read the thread called Rotala kill tank yet then boy, grab something to drink and a snack and cancel all of your upcoming appointments :lol:
Im quite sure you are up to the challenge personally, but there is no guarantee that the result will be satisfactory to you, if that makes sense.
Im optimistic about being able to grow all my plant species "flawlessly" in sand eventually, but I dont know for absolutely sure if I will get there with all of them, and I wont make any promises to anyone else.
I really enjoy trying to figure it out though, which is why I dont mind a bit of struggle along the way :geek:

Last edited:
Back