• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cave in the Hill

Dominik_K

Hi all together,

last year, about 9 months ago, I did my current 128-liter-setup with your help. That made me creating a far better result than I would have been able to create on my own. So I would like to try this again =)

As I did last year, I will take a tank, created by a member, and take my inspiration from that. One might say I will fake it ;) This time it's the Mighty Cave, created by @Mikeba. I fell in love with that kind of layout the moment I saw it within this forum. I figured out that I love recreating existing tanks =) .

Since my 128-liter-tank is setup at the moment and I am waiting for the right moment for a last picture, I build myself a dojo (reference to scapefu here ;) ). I would appreciate any comments on my work so far:

I tried a lot with the rocks I have and I think this is the one that pleases me the most:

Layout3.jpg

My biggest issue is the one stone on the right hand side of the cave, killing the flow direction of the hardscape. I will try to find a stone that is tilted like this:

Layout3fixes.jpg

If I am successfull or not, this is the kind of plants I would like to go for (first with text, second without):

Layout3Planting.jpg

Layout3PlantingWithoutText.jpg

I would love to hear your oppinions on that plan =)

Have a nice day.

Thanks for your reply, I did not think about that so far. But it looks as if I will be lucky: the cave is about 10 cm away from the front glas, about 6 cm high and about 8 cm deep. It will be a bit unconfortable, but i think I might reach it without that big of a problem =)

I'm flattered! :p

I really like the feel of the stones, nice textures en depth!

One thing I regret now is that I didn't make the cave opening bigger. After adding moss en wood details it became too small. So maybe something you could take into consideration now, while you still can :)

And I think I would make the whole thing wider, so maybe loose half of the Monte Carlo carpet.

But great work! :cool:

I gave up with caves and rock arches as they collect detritus and were not easy to clean at water change time. Better with an arch as you can lift it off to clean underneath.

Like the idea of the scape, just ensure you can clean it easily.

Thank you all :)

@Mikeba That was one thing i have learned from your Mighty Cave scape ;) That's why my cave is opening directly to the front while yours seems to have an angle or is that just the pictures?
Making the whole thing wider will need more stone. I need to speak to my girlfriend before buying even more, since I already spent a lot of money on those rocks. Otherwise I get stoned to death with my own stones ;)

@Nigel95 Thank you for that hint, I will use it for sure =)
@ian_m As i mentioned, the area is quiet big since it is not that small of a tank ;) And further the turkey blaster will help too ^^ but I will check if i may arrange one stone a little different. I think if I manage to do that, I could simply lift of the upper part of the cave for maintanence.

That is looking awesome! Love the shadows in the front, really ads to the depth. And the extension to the left played out well.

Only point of feedback I can give is that the right front is a bit too heavy .. would have been nice if the far left piece was smaller, making a sort of step up from low to high.

Are you going to cut away the excessive styrofoam?

Hi,

thanks for the reply :) And thanks for the compliments!

Yes, i will cut away the styrofoam as good as possible. I think its better for making a substrate slope if i do so.

The big stones on the right side are a bit big, thats true, but i dont have another stone, that fits there and looks good. Tomorrow I get a few detail stones. I ordered "small to really small ones" as I mentioned via E-Mail to Aquasabi. So maybe, something will fit. Otherwise I place some smaler ones into the cracks. That should work out too I think =) (I used that technique in a lot of places within the tank ^^)

Nice try, the cave could be a bit bigger.

Are you going to add sand and which one?

Looking good, I would play around with removing the lava stone from the cave area, I feel with sand it will look to shallow, also I would perhaps add one or two more smaller stones on the left to ease the slow down the the sand / substrate, tho with plants this may not be noticeable

Hi,

yesterday was the day: I planted the tank. And I have to say, I love the result ;) I am realy happy with it and there are only some minor issues, which are not a big deal.

1. I did not have enough moss. Already orded some more, so this will be done within the next week or two.
2. The amount of Rotala H'Ra is a bit low (the top view picture shows that) but since it is a stem plant, I will replant the toppings for the first two to three trimmings.
3. I need some more mini landscape rocks for the sand to add further details. But I am to lazy to crush stones at the moment ;)

So here are the pictures:

1. Substrate added

LayoutWithSubstrate.jpg

2. Planted
NewLayoutPlanted.jpg

3. top view of the rotala h'ra

ToLowPlantMass.jpg

4. A little view from the side, the rock formation is really not that deep, but looks much deeper from the front.

SideView.jpg

How are you planning to keep sand and soil separate? I have tried a few tanks with two different substrates but they always end up getting mixed unless I add some sort of barrier. The fact that I like keeping cories in most tanks certainly doesn't help but it happened even in my ram and oto tank.

Hi,

that's an interessting question ;) I had a tank with a similar mix of substrates with no issues at all. So I don't have any plan for that at the moment. I think I will address that one, if it is actually happening ;) My first idea would be to insert some sort of substrate support. James Findley uses something like that to keep the substrate from going downhill. I think that would be the best way.

Back