• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning light reflectors?

Timms2011

Hiya All, just a quick question, what do you clean your light reflectors with when they are looking a little dull and grimy to get them looking like new again?

Thanks,

I normally use lemon juice that you add to pancakes - obviously clean them off the light and away from the tank, i just wipe them over with that and a kitchen tissue then wipe over with water.... should come up like new then :thumbup:

Gary Nelson said:
I normally use lemon juice that you add to pancakes - obviously clean them off the light and away from the tank, i just wipe them over with that and a kitchen tissue then wipe over with water.... should come up like new then :thumbup:
Thank you Gary, I'll try that tomorrow, I just didn't want to use any chemicals for the obvious reasons and thinking I may have to buy 4 new ones as mine look just a little worse for wear.
Thanks,

I just use Kilrock (formic acid) on my reflectors outside in a bucket wearing gloves. £2 from Robert Dyas. Very strong acid, quite cheap, shifts the scale instantly and easy to wash off. Used vinegar before, even cheaper though not as quick Just rinse off with lots of water.

If there is any descaler left (which considering they both "stink of acid" and can't smell anything after rinsing) being simple acids will probably cause no issue in the tank.

ian_m said:
I just use Kilrock (formic acid) on my reflectors outside in a bucket wearing gloves. £2 from Robert Dyas. Very strong acid, quite cheap, shifts the scale instantly and easy to wash off. Used vinegar before, even cheaper though not as quick Just rinse off with lots of water.

If there is any descaler left (which considering they both "stink of acid" and can't smell anything after rinsing) being simple acids will probably cause no issue in the tank.
Thank you.

Have also used Sainsburys appliance descaler which is sulphamic & phosphoric acid and as its designed for appliances so is probably less harmful than surface descalers if any does accidently get left on the reflector. Does have the advantage that you can descale the reflectors in kitchen sink, rather than having to use Kilrock outside.

I have very hard water and reflectors scale up quite quickly due to tank water splashes.

Back