• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 and water agitation

Yes, our struggles really ought not to be about killing algae. I think this is where many folks fall off the wagon. When there is a problem in the tank, always consider ways of improving the health of plants first. Algae are not aliens from space who invade the tank. They are residents of the tank just as much (and probably more so) as the plants. Their appearance always is an indicator of poor plant health.

Cheers,

Hello! I am back from giving you guys a break! lol

So with the lights very dim.. all my plants are growing and even my monte carlo and baby tears are showing growth its a bit slow but its growing healthy and without algae at the moment.

anyways, reason I am bothering you again is to ask about a certain filter for my 10 gal with good flow.

Eheim Classic Canister Filter with Media - 2211. Is this filter good for a 10 gal planted tank?

Hi Roediger,
Happy to hear the good results so far. Hope it continues. Yes, dim lights reduce the growth rates but so what? You don't have to deal with algae. That's a great tradeoff.

As we mentioned before, we try to follow the 10X rule. I had a look at Big Al's and it lists that filter as having a flow rate of 60 GPH, which would be good for a 6 gallon tank.

Again, if the lighting is kept very low and if your distribution scheme is good and if your CO2 method is good then that filter would be fine.
If it were me though, I would rather get a filter that comes closer to the rule. Anything with 80-100 GPH would be better if you can get it at a good price.

It's not clear to me if you have an aux pump in that tank as you stated "...my 10 gal with good flow..."
Does that mean the 10 G already has good flow? If it already has good flow then the Eheim will be fine and maybe even OTT.

the 10X rule applies to the total pumping power rating in the tank, so if you had a wavemeker giving good flow rating in the 10 G already then as I said, no issues at all.

Cheers,

oh no! it doesn't have good flow. it's a small canister filter, and thanks to you guys I realized it's not good lol. description says 106 gph, but it ain't. My aquaclear 20 HOB is better than the one i got. I am looking for one that has good flow! strong enough to perform how you guys describe with spray bars.

this is what i have atm, and it leaves a lot of debris on the ground and on my grass.
https://www.amazon.com/TechnToy-HW-...d=1511751259&sr=1-11&keywords=canister+filter

Hi Roediger,
OK, well a filter with a 400LPH rating ought to be sufficient, so if the flow is poor, then before you commit to another filter, you may want to troubleshoot this filter. Have you disassembled the impeller housing to make sure there is no debris or damage to the impeller?

Avoid using floss, which are flow killers and just use foam. Get rid of the bioballs in the bottom chamber if there are any there.
Make sure that you do not have any kinked hosing.
Also is the filter very far below the water line? Try setting the filter on a table or stool to see if the flow rate improves.
There may be something wrong with the pump electrics as well. Does the pump housing get very hot when running?

Have a look at these before rejecting the filter outright.

Cheers,

Hello guys

I have a couple of pictures for you guys since I dimmed the lights. My ludwigia leaves seem smaller, but in time can be bigger i dont know. Good note that i am sure of my montecarlo is throwing shoots everywhere even in low light :)

Attachments

• 20171129_203458.jpg
    20171129_203458.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • 20171129_202713.jpg
    20171129_202713.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 125
  • 20171129_203241.jpg
    20171129_203241.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
Hello Clive.

Look what i found today :(

Question: is it safe to use epsom salt as your Magnesium sulphate?

Attachments

• 20171201_200802.jpg
    20171201_200802.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
Why does this happen if i have good flow. I mess with the tank everyday cleaning and looking for problems.

Attachments

• 20171201_203017.jpg
    20171201_203017.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 120
Hello Clive.

Question: is it safe to use epsom salt as your Magnesium sulphate?
Yes provided it it just epsom salts free of perfume and anti-caking agent, which some foot soak products have.

It says 100% mg
Yeah, that's fine. If it's cheap then get it.
Why does this happen if i have good flow. I mess with the tank everyday cleaning and looking for problems.
I can't really tell what that is mate. That could be just debris caught by the hairgrass. Use an old toothbrush or maybe try to siphon it off and see if you can clean it. It looks white so I don't know if it is algae or just dirt.
As long as you are getting new growth then don't worry too much. Just make sure you are getting the correct pH drop.
You have to constantly check these things. CO2 is not a pill that you take. It's an iterative process so always check to see if you have lost flow or if your injection rate is still good based on the pH drop..

Cheers,

Ah ok! Yes lots and lots of new growth coming off that crypt lol cant get it to stop. It sprouts by the half a dozen :happy:.

Yeah the hairgrass is debris. I just thought to myself, i dont have animals only thing in the tank is amazonia ada soil. Only thing i can think of is... my moss tree under all the new growth mayb old particles? Want my grass to look nice and clear! Thanks for the tip on using a tooth brush. Once the roots grow in will it be hard for this plant to uproot? I mean just by winking at, it it comes up :woot:

Once the roots grow in will it be hard for this plant to uproot? I mean just by winking at, it it comes up :woot:
Yeah, hairgrass will grow lots of roots because that's how it propagates, by sending roots all over the place and the sprouting up from wherever the roots travel to.
That will take some time though, so just hold the bunch down with some other tool or with you free hand while you scrape the dirt off.

Cheers,

Hello people,

If it necessary to reach the all functionality of the ceramic stone cylinder of Jbl proflora direct submerging in water for 24 hours before put in the inline atomizer until the arrangement of the aquarium??

Thanks for sharing your knowledges :pompus:

Aarón from Toledo

Hello people,

If it necessary to reach the all functionality of the ceramic stone cylinder of Jbl proflora direct submerging in water for 24 hours before put in the inline atomizer until the arrangement of the aquarium??

Thanks for sharing your knowledges :pompus:

Aarón from Toledo
Mine was ok with low BPS rates but couldn't cope with the CO2 BPS neededof get pH drop. Big bubbles once a certain BPD reached. Solved it with CO2 reactors. No bubbles in tank except pearling or when Hinderfeld CO2 aglea inhibited is on.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think that I dont express that want I say very well, but I catch your tip :D

it is necessary to leave moisten ceramics twenty-four hours ??:pompus:

I think that I dont express that want I say very well, but I catch your tip :D

it is necessary to leave moisten ceramics twenty-four hours ??:pompus:
It helps get smaller bubbles short term

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back